Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Stat on Sportscenter this morning

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    The reason I'd fire Rex isn't because he's a bad coach. It's because he refused to put his loyalty/ego aside and make a change when it was blatantly necessary. I'm not only speaking on the QB position. There are other positions where Rex just refuses to admit that the player just isn't good enough and go with an alternative.

That being said, it is quite impressive that the Jets have been able to win the amount of games that they did with Sanchez. Which is why I lament Rex and Tanny for giving up on Brett Favre when everyone knew he was coming back for another season. We would have won that Super Bowl with Brett. I have no doubts about it.
    Brett refused to commit to the team when asked to stay. Farve wanted out. Rex tried to talk him into staying.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    The fact that everything thinks Rex is dumb for not benching Sanchez is just crazy. People keep saying 31 other teams would have benched him long ago.

To this I say you guys are flat out WRONG! [B][When you draft a QB that high to be your franchise guy you ride it to the end/B] and give him every chance you can to be a success. Just because some fans were against Sanchez for awhile doesnt mean benching him was the right move.

Sanchez needed to be given every chance he got. If my coach DIDNT do that I would want him fired. You play your guy until you absolutely know he has no chance to succeed.
    Then you are as stupid as rex and tanny and would also deserve to be fired. The name of the game is winning and making tough decisions when you can still do something. The day after we are out of the playoffs he now makes a change with his 'franchise' qb?

A smart coach looks at what he has and actually does what he says (start the Qb that gives you the best chance to win.)

First of all, when you draft a QB that high, you are giving him 3 years at a minimum.

That would leave only last offseason to find an improvement over Sanchez. Clearly, the only guy who was a clear improvement was Peyton Manning. Well, we tried for him and couldn't get him. Sucks but he didn't want to come to the same town as his bro.

The only mistake here was re-signing Sanchez to that makeup deal.... A lot of that I put on Tannenbaum.

The only thing I put on Rex perhaps is sticking with Sanchez a couple weeks too long this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And put in who Beer? Mark Brunell? Tim Tebow? There was nobody to put in.
    #1 Rex is responsible for who is on the team. It is very evident he had a big say and a huge influence over tanny. so to say put in who as if horrible backups were foisted on him doesn't wash with me.

#2 McElroy, Tebow either one. One year ago Denver was in the same spot, they went with Tebow even with his gross limitations, gave him the ball, ran and offense where he could succeed, made the playoffs and beat Pitt. Two weeks earlier they inserted Mcelroy into the game and he lead them to their only score.

No, Rex had a hand in the lousy backups, rex has had a hand in the coddling and rex has had a hand in NOT making switch when there was still time.

For these things he is culpable, he is not some poor victim with an inferior team foisted on him that he couldn't do anything about.

I won't have a big problem if Rex is retained but he sure as hell better have learned a lesson or two the last few years.

What good coaches do is play the best players no matter where they are drafted and get rid of the bums. If you win, no one cares that you replaced a 1st rounder with an undrafted rookie.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The only thing your stats show you how stupid Rex is for sticking with the guy. 31 other nfl coaches would have benched his ass.

Rex is awful. He has 11 days left as HC of the NYJ.
    Or maybe there really is no one better on the roster than Sanchez.

Everyone says Rex is 4-2 in the playoffs. Well the QB was too. And he didn't **** the bed in any of those 6 games. Yes, he didn't have gaudy stats in those 6 games but he was 100xs better in those 6 games than he was in any game this season and most of last season. So why is that?

And anyone disputing this has a very short and selective memory.

And not sure if this is true or not but I believe Lupica said yesterday that statwise Sanchez and Eli's are very similar through 4 seasons. Not saying he's Eli but.....

Is he fixable? Not sure. He probably does need a fresh start somewhere under a competent and qualified QB coach and OC and an organization that isn't a total circus, incompetent clusterf#&k from the owner down to the GM, HC and O staff.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    First of all, when you draft a QB that high, you are giving him 3 years at a minimum.

That would leave only last offseason to find an improvement over Sanchez. Clearly, the only guy who was a clear improvement was Peyton Manning. Well, we tried for him and couldn't get him. Sucks but he didn't want to come to the same town as his bro.

The only mistake here was re-signing Sanchez to that makeup deal.... A lot of that I put on Tannenbaum.

The only thing I put on Rex perhaps is sticking with Sanchez a couple weeks too long this year.
    This. And anyone who would want to fire Rex in light of the OP's point is a bonehead.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This. And anyone who would want to fire Rex in light of the OP's point is a bonehead.
    I've been called worse. Our HC is a clown, buffoon, idiot. He needs to go back to being an above avg DC.

People are quick to mention the lack of talent The Jets have as the argument
    for keeping Rex. But nobody brings up the fact that the 4 yrs (yes only 4 yrs) that he was the DC in Balt the level of established, proven D talent he had. 1st ballot HOFs in Lewis & Reed to start with. Add Suggs a darn good Cb like McAllister & Ngata.
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-20-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Look, I'm as down on the Jets right now as anybody. I've absolutely had it with Sanchez and Tannenbaum, I'm more undecided than anything on Rex, and even the sight of a Jets jersey raises my blood pressure. But, something I saw today really hammered home two things:

1. Sanchez is an absolute bum.
    2. Rex might be a pretty darn good coach.

Of all QBs who have attempted at least 1,500 passes since Mark Sanchez entered the NFL (so essentially, all other starting QBs over that time), here is where Sanchez ranks in these KEY statistics:

• Turnovers - FIRST

• Completion % - LAST

• TD:INT ratio - LAST

• Yards per Attempt - LAST

• QB Rating - LAST

That is pretty much every meaningful way you can grade a QB's performance and Sanchez ranks dead worst in the NFL of all starting QBs since he's been playing!

However, despite getting the absolute worst play of any starting QB in the NFL over his entire coaching career, Rex Ryan still sports a winning record (38-30) including 4 road playoff victories. It is really hard to win football games in the National Football League and Rex Ryan has been doing so despite getting the worst performance in the league from the game's most important position.

Dump Sanchez, fire or demote Tanny, and I'm down with letting whoever the new GM is decide Rex's fate. But whether they keep him or ditch him, none of us should act like keeping him is a bad option.
    + 1

I hate Rex for starting mark, but would like to see him gone with a different gm