Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about last year's draft...

A question about last year's draft...

Are people still angry that Rex took Quinton Coples?

Tied for 6th in the NFL in rookie sacks with 4.0

Melvin Ingram, who most people wanted only has .5 sacks with San Diego.

Chandler Jones got off to a hot start with 6.0 sacks but hasn't doesn't much since New England's bye week, partially because of an injury.

Ironically, Bruce Irvin, who the Jets were going to take before Seattle took him, leads the NFL in rookie sacks with 8.0

All Pro
    I tell ya - that Bruce Irvin went from;

... "OMG SEATTLE IS FCKING RETARDED"

To--

.... to "Oh.. well, still. Coulda had him later"

To--

.... "Fck. Irvin is the sh*t.

Either way - I love the Coples pick. Ingram was overvalued.

It remains to be seen down the road, but Coples has produced in somewhat limited snaps. I like the pick a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Coples has looked better lately but we have also been playing terrible teams. Reminds me of pre season when all his sacks were against scrubs. But that is nitpicking. It is encouraging that he is showing improvement and growth.

I still put Jones ahead right now and that can change.

But I think it is safe to say that he is not going to be a bust. Might never be an elite pass rusher but he will be a starter on the Jets for a handful of years at least.

Sacks don't tell the whole story. Look at TFL and pressure %. He is very good at getting into the backfield.

He has the strength of a 300+ pounder and the athleticism of a 250 pounder. Stud in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Sacks don't tell the whole story. Look at TFL and pressure %. He is very good at getting into the backfield.

He has the strength of a 300+ pounder and the athleticism of a 250 pounder. Stud in the making.

a regular bowling ball with butcher's knives

Coples is improving week after week, which is a big plus. Also, rex's defensive lineman are asked to know/do quite a bit, so its not the easiest position to learn.

Coples, wilkerson and ellis form quite a formidable and young group to build on whether we stick with Rex and the 3-4 or move to a 4-3 front.

All Pro
    Imagine the numbers if there was actual pressure coming from either of the OLB's?

With good OLB's, Coples and Wilkerson could be B-E-A-S-T-S!

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post

Coples can be a dominant chess piece that you can play almost anywhere within the front seven. He's coming on lately. And next year he can explode...like JPP did for the Jints.

Jason Pierre-Paul had 4.5 sacks in his 1st year. Then exploded with 16.5 in his 2nd. I saw a pre draft video comparing Coples to JPP. Not just showing highlight type of plays. But breaking down comparisons of them in terms of their technique. So it's not surprising that Rex has made the same comparison...Couples to JPP as special talents.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I tell ya - that Bruce Irvin went from;

... "OMG SEATTLE IS FCKING RETARDED"

To--

.... to "Oh.. well, still. Coulda had him later"

To--

.... "Fck. Irvin is the sh*t.

Either way - I love the Coples pick. Ingram was overvalued.
    I loved Irvin. Because he wasn't a big sack guy everyone sold on him and said he was small. Coples was BPA. My only regret is thinking they would try him at OLB. I think people are just mad we didn't use him outside really.

Lots of talent

4 sacks plus 7 TFL leads the team despite the limited snaps. His scouting report seems dead on- lots of talent but takes plays off. If his attitude improved Rex would never take him out of the game and his stats would rise. The good news is that this is NOT Gholston part 2

Coples is turning out to be a great pick. In a few more seasons this guy could be unstoppable. Right now he's just learning the NFL. After a couple of seasons he will know how to beat every lineman trying to block him and he will know when to do it. We will be watching Coples and Wilkerson for a long time on the Jets D-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    4 sacks plus 7 TFL leads the team despite the limited snaps. His scouting report seems dead on- lots of talent but takes plays off. If his attitude improved Rex would never take him out of the game and his stats would rise. The good news is that this is NOT Gholston part 2
    There is no chance he will be a bust. He is too talented. To be honest I think his "motor issues" has to do with his breathing. If you listen to him talk he sounds very nasally. We have seen get get gassed a few times this year. I wonder if anyone has ever checked him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

Chandler Jones got off to a hot start with 6.0 sacks but hasn't doesn't much since New England's bye week, partially because of an injury.

Ironically, Bruce Irvin, who the Jets were going to take before Seattle took him, leads the NFL in rookie sacks with 8.0
    Coples is/was a good pick. Hitting homeruns is NOT the issue, nor is a BUST like Gholsten. Every team drafts a Gholsten. Coples is developing "just fine". The fact that he is not ROY is no big deal.

I'd rather have a bunch of 8 and 9's then 1 10.

I also think Hill will be a good player.

I wish we did a better job with picks 4 through 7 annually.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There is no chance he will be a bust. He is too talented. To be honest I think his "motor issues" has to do with his breathing. If you listen to him talk he sounds very nasally. We have seen get get gassed a few times this year. I wonder if anyone has ever checked him out.
    Interesting observation about Couples maybe having breathing problems. Perhaps Sinus-allergies or asthmatic in nature? I thought it might have been a conditioning problem. And that the offseason program would condition him better for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Imagine the numbers if there was actual pressure coming from either of the OLB's?

With good OLB's, Coples and Wilkerson could be B-E-A-S-T-S!
    +1million

This is what people dont understand. Our D-Line has 2 young beasts whos production is limited by horrible OLBs.

The problem is not the 3-4. The 3-4 is a great defense. The problem is our 3-4 Defense lacks 2 of the 3 necessary components- 2 horrible OLBs. (the other thing a good 3-4 needs is a NT. We are just adequate at this position but Ellis has potential).

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    +1million

This is what people dont understand. Our D-Line has 2 young beasts whos production is limited by horrible OLBs.

The problem is not the 3-4. The 3-4 is a great defense. The problem is our 3-4 Defense lacks 2 of the 3 necessary components- 2 horrible OLBs. (the other thing a good 3-4 needs is a NT. We are just adequate at this position but Ellis has potential).
    +1million&one...

In a 3-4D...it's the LB's that are supposed to be your dynamic playmakers. And whatever sacks and pressures you get from the DL...is like a bonus.

So if the Jets ever had a Von Miller...DeMarcus Ware...or a Clay Mathews. With Landry and Bell at Safeties. Plus Revis and Cro at the corners. All this to complement Mo and Couples. Aww baby...it would've been a legendary 46 Bear defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

Don't forget that Rex has barely played Coples up until recently. His achievements have come in very limited playing time.

I think Coples is going to become a very good player. I think Tanny made the right selection. I also think Tanny made a good selection when he took Muhammad Wilkerson.

So people shouldn't be so fast to criticize Tanny about not getting talent for the team.

All Pro
    This post is getting my psyched for another Draft Season, LOL - I look forward to it more than the regular season.

Anyway, I wanted Ingram bad and I'm eating Crow.

Coples has some big issues that we don't hear about much as you can tell by how much Rex plays him. My guess is it's the desire aspect of playing hard every play, possibly some mental aspects as well.

We're almost going to be forced to draft a QB high next draft and restart a 5 year build around him. It sucks to start over and as much as I love drafting the BPA it is what it is.