Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about last year's draft...

All League
    I watch a lot of college football and watched a bunch of UNC, but somehow never realized how strong Coples is. He has the strength that may not blow you away in the weight room , but on the field shocks opponents. I remember in the preseason against the Giants, Coples over ran the play, but stilled pulled down David Wilson who was bursting through the hole at full speed and pulled him down easily with one arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I watch a lot of college football and watched a bunch of UNC, but somehow never realized how strong Coples is. He has the strength that may not blow you away in the weight room , but on the field shocks opponents. I remember in the preseason against the Giants, Coples over ran the play, but stilled pulled down David Wilson who was bursting through the hole at full speed and pulled him down easily with one arm.
    He has very strong hands. When he uses proper hand technique and leverage...he can beat guards like a drum. That's what he was doing in his junior year. In his senior year...he was very inconsistant in these areas.

Coples needs to play more and is going to be pretty good. Having said that the Jets biggest need is OLB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Coples needs to play more and is going to be pretty good. Having said that the Jets biggest need is OLB.
    +1

I'd like to see them stock up on a few OLBs and Gs in the draft along with an RB somewhere in the first few rounds. You have to hope Davis can take over for Scott, and that we can find a starter between Bush and Allen at S. I dont think Landry, Slauson or Keller come back. Bell, Moore, and Greene are 50/50.

I still think if (when?) Rex is fired, we will be going to a 4-3, of which will suit Coples' skill-set even more. A lineup of Coples/Ellis at the DTs with Mo at LE can be pretty potent. Draft a passrushing RE at some point this year and we are ready to roll on the DLine.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I still think if (when?) Rex is fired, we will be going to a 4-3, of which will suit Coples' skill-set even more. A lineup of Coples/Ellis at the DTs with Mo at LE can be pretty potent. Draft a passrushing RE at some point this year and we are ready to roll on the DLine.
    I think Wilkerson would be a better choice at DT and Coples DE if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think Wilkerson would be a better choice at DT and Coples DE if you ask me.
    I think part of his senior year struggles was that he was moved to DE from DT where he played as a jr.

Interchanging ellis and coples on different sides on teh interior with wilk and a quicker guy at the other DE would really give us a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Coples has looked better lately but we have also been playing terrible teams. Reminds me of pre season when all his sacks were against scrubs.
    Abusing Andre Smith for a sack is not getting a sack versus a scrub. Sacking and forcing a fumble on Cam Newton is not getting a sack versus a scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Yes, he has that country boy strength that you can't teach.

The Jets got a top 10 pick with the 16th pick. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think part of his senior year struggles was that he was moved to DE from DT where he played as a jr.

Interchanging ellis and coples on different sides on teh interior with wilk and a quicker guy at the other DE would really give us a lot of options.
    He is better on the inside. However, he destroyed Locker from the outside on MNF. That was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    He has very strong hands. When he uses proper hand technique and leverage...he can beat guards like a drum. That's what he was doing in his junior year. In his senior year...he was very inconsistant in these areas.
    Yep.

He's just a little inconsistent using his hands and length. When he doesn't do that it looks like he's got two salamis for arms and he can't get the proper push...but boy oh boy, when he gets his hands on you, it's over. The strength and quickness (when playing interior) is amazing to watch.

I think Couples is a nice player and will be a long term starter for sure. That said in a historic year for quality QB's the fact that we took a D lineman and guaranteed Suckchez contract tempers any enthusiasm one might have for Couples.