Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Source: Jets audition trick-shot kicker

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    That video is really impressive..
    thats some pretty sick shiiit

New Offensive Strategy

Jets offense punts it 6-10 times a game. 1-2-3=punt; 1-2-3=punt; etc ; etc; etc.

With this guy the strategy will be...

1-2-3=75yd FGA; 1-2-3=70yd FGA; 1-2-3=65yd FGA; 1-2-3=60yd FGA

Jets braintrust figures this to be a sound offensive strategy. Since they can't successfully draft and develop a franchise QB. Have put together a popgun offense with no playmakers for the QB to operate with.

If he makes 70% of his 10 attempts. Jets will score at least 21 points a game! Something the Jets O rarely scores these days.

No more punting...just FGA's
    No more embarrassing shutouts.
    No more need to worry about getting a franchise QB.
    No more worries about redzone efficiency.
    No more worries about offensive playmakers.
    No more worries about CAP room to compete for quality FA's

I'm sure there are lots more benefits from this strategy...which some of you can add to what I've already listed.

Instead...a brilliant new offensive strategy from our Jets braintrust

Here he is...our new offensive weapon...our savior...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Jets offense punts it 6-10 times a game. 1-2-3=punt; 1-2-3=punt; etc ; etc; etc.

With this guy the strategy will be...

1-2-3=75yd FGA; 1-2-3=70yd FGA; 1-2-3=65yd FGA; 1-2-3=60yd FGA

Jets braintrust figures this to be a sound offensive strategy. Since they can't successfully draft and develop a franchise QB. Have put together a popgun offense with no playmakers for the QB to operate with.

If he makes 70% of his 10 attempts. Jets will score at least 21 points a game! Something the Jets O rarely scores these days.

No more punting...just FGA's
    No more embarrassing shutouts.
    No more need to worry about getting a franchise QB.
    No more worries about redzone efficiency.
    No more worries about offensive playmakers.
    No more worries about CAP room to compete for quality FA's

I'm sure there are lots more benefits from this strategy...which some of you can add to what I've already listed.

Instead...a brilliant new offensive strategy from our Jets braintrust

Here he is...our new offensive weapon...our savior...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo
    looks like the guy can punt pretty far, and accurately as well if it's 80 yards or more. Save a roster spot there too. This really makes me angry

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Maybe GM Mike Tannenbaum should check YouTube for a quarterback.
    LOL!

May I use this quote as a sig?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I get it. Folk's been bad so lets sign a guy that has ZERO.... let me be clear about this.... 0 as in ZERO..... experience at playing football at any level whatsoever as a perceived competition to our current guy? Seriously? And you guys can't see that this same mentality and methodology is being applied across the board to our entire roster?

These idiots are trying to replace starters with hot sh!t that they are throwing at the wall and hoping it sticks. And then they wonder why the team stinks.

Please. Don't even bother me with your responses if you can't see the situation here.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Only our GM would be kicking the tires (no pun intended) on one of the only position that you can unequivocally say that the Jets are solid it. And they are doing it with a "trick shot"/"gimmick" soccer player kicking around a football in controlled settings with numerous outtakes.

I'm now convinced that Mike Tannenbaum is a moron.
    Um....I don't think giving a guy a tryout means much. He had the guy come in and show what he's got. Non-issue to me. There's more pressing issues to worry about than Tannenbaum bringing a guy in to take a look at him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You know, football is entertainment. The other 31 teams try to keep their fans entertained by trying to play good football and win games. The Jets are also entertainment. It's just a different type.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Ca we go back to thinking inside the box again?
    A code word for sex in France?? Same here..

NYT: Great Footage! And Jets Notice

By DAVID PICKER

Published: December 28, 2012

Havard Rugland does not have the pedigree one might expect for someone who has become an Internet sensation for kicking a football. He knows next to nothing about the sport. Just ask him to name the quarterback of the New England Patriots or the Denver Broncos.

“I have no idea,” said Rugland, a 28-year-old from Norway.

When asked how many yards an offense is penalized for a false start, Rugland paused. “I’d just be guessing,” he finally admitted.

“Look, I don’t know much about football,” Rugland said by telephone from his home in Algard, a small town near the southwestern coast of Norway. “But I’m fascinated by it. There’s great athletes and speed and big hits. I thought it was interesting. So I wondered, What can I do?”

Using tools not typically associated with athletic prowess — YouTube, Facebook, Skype and Gmail — Rugland parlayed a homemade video that went viral into a tryout as a kicker with the Jets last week. He might be the first professional prospect to replace college football experience with social media savvy.

In one clip Rugland kicks the ball from a dock to someone in a canoe floating about 25 yards away. Twice. In another, he kicks the ball into the arms of someone standing through a car’s sunroof. That might not seem so spectacular, except the car is cruising along a country road. The most eye-popping trick is saved for last. Rugland punts one ball high into the air and then quickly kicks a second ball off a tee. The balls collide in midair.

“That last kick, it took about eight tries,” Rugland said. “The basketball kick, I wanted it to go straight in, but it kept hitting the rim. That actually took a while. That could have been like 40 tries.”

Rugland is so accurate on so many difficult kicks that his video almost seems too good to be true. It brings to mind doctored videos featuring other athletes, like one of the Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant leaping over a speeding Aston Martin (Bryant never would have risked his knees).

But Rugland insisted his video was real. He said that NRK, Norway’s public broadcasting network, reviewed the raw videos and concluded they were legitimate.

Regardless of the video’s legitimacy, Rugland ended up at the Jets’ doorstep, quite an accomplishment for anyone, let alone a Norwegian who had never played football at any level. His journey to New York provides a blueprint of sorts for anyone looking to turn a homemade video into a global hit.

It all started when Rugland’s club soccer team disbanded a year and a half ago. He began looking for another hobby to go along with his interest in video cameras. He got the bug for football after watching a live feed of the Super Bowl in the middle of the night. Rugland said he always had a booming leg in soccer and wondered if his talent would transfer to this new, obscure sport.

So Rugland bought a football and went on the Internet to study videos of kickers.

For fun, Rugland made his video in about five days in September with the help of two of his brothers and a friend. In the weeks after he put the video online, it was viewed 5,000 times. One of those viewers was Michael Husted, who kicked in the N.F.L. for nine seasons. Husted, a kicking instructor, connected with Rugland on Facebook.

“I was just enamored by his size and his stature,” Husted said of Rugland, who is 6 feet 2 inches and 242 pounds. “I thought there was some potential there. N.F.L. teams like these big kickers.”

Soon, Husted and Rugland began discussing the art of the trade over Skype.

In mid-October, NRK, the Norwegian television network, did a story on Rugland’s minor celebrity. Soon, Rugland said, the video reached 500,000 views. His Gmail account was flooded with interest from small colleges like Henderson State University in Arkansas and Lincoln University in Missouri.

(Despite his age, Rugland is eligible to play college football.)

In late November, Rugland received an e-mail message from someone with more clout: Scott Cohen, assistant general manager of the Jets.

“Of course, my first thought was, ‘Who of my friends have sent me this e-mail?’ ” Rugland said. “I thought it was a joke.”

After being assured by Rugland that he was serious about pursuing a career as a kicker, Cohen suggested that he train for a few weeks with a kicking coach in the United States. Cohen even recommended a few names, including Husted.

“He had never seen a snap or a hold,” Cohen said. “I told him, ‘If you pay your way over here and work hard, I’ll fly you to New York before you fly back to Norway.’ ”

It was a significant cost for Rugland, who works as a counselor in a state-run facility for at-risk youths. But he bought a ticket to San Diego, where Husted is based.

Husted is well connected in the fraternity of current and former N.F.L. kickers. In addition to giving Rugland his first formal lesson on kicking in late November, he arranged to have Nate Kaeding, who signed with the Miami Dolphins recently, evaluate Rugland’s technique.

“Put him out on the field with all of us N.F.L. kickers, he’s going to kick it as high and as far as the rest of us,” said Kaeding, the most accurate field goal kicker in N.F.L. history. “The way that he flights the ball and how he hits it, the pop he puts in it, is like a professional caliber. He can hit from 55, 60 yards.”

Cohen was reluctant to give details about last week’s workout but said the Jets saw enough to conclude that Rugland had a chance to play in the N.F.L. Rugland said the Jets wanted him to return for a workout in March.

He added that he planned to spend the next few months in Norway practicing field goals and kickoffs (he is leaving the trick shots behind).

Rugland has also hired an agent, Jill McBride Baxter. After Rugland’s tryout with the Jets, Baxter said, the Oakland Raiders, the Green Bay Packers and the Philadelphia Eagles expressed interest in him.

Still, Rugland remains an untested commodity. Kaeding said there was little room for creativity in kicking and noted that Rugland’s lack of game experience was a glaring obstacle.

“There’s a lot of emotion and psychological hurdles you have to navigate,” Kaeding said. “In high school and college, you learn how to deal with the nuances of the position. He’s fighting against time because he hasn’t had that experience.”

Even if the Jets tryout turns out to be Rugland’s only taste of the N.F.L., he has broken new ground, making kicking look sexy.

“It’s almost like the world has gotten a little bit smaller,” Rugland said. “I have no background in American football. You couldn’t be more green than me. I made a video and it’s possible for America to watch it. And it ends up with a tryout with the Jets. And let’s hope a lot more.”

Honestly. Who cares?

Veteran
    Look, America is only place where athletes who kick something are mocked and thought of as pansies. The kicking game is extremely important in this code of football, and I think it's wise for the FO to explore possibilities. Folk has been serviceable, but finding a replacement should not be overlooked. Why is this so hard to grasp?

I think going grass roots is good. Probably wont find the next Manning that way, but there are good enough athletes out there to play certain positions.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Honestly. Who cares?
    Apologies for ruining your day....

I'd like to know if Tanny has ever picked up a rugby ball. It is not the same at all. If we played with one yeah he'd be a great punter but we do not. It is a LOT harder to get that kind of accuracy out of a football. That is like asking a soccer player to kick a basketball. It just doesn't work. Can it be learned yes will it happen over one camp no.

All League
    Very sick. That last kick is almost to good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd like to know if Tanny has ever picked up a rugby ball. It is not the same at all. If we played with one yeah he'd be a great punter but we do not. It is a LOT harder to get that kind of accuracy out of a football. That is like asking a soccer player to kick a basketball. It just doesn't work. Can it be learned yes will it happen over one camp no.
    Read the NYT article...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Id like this guy to scissor kick tanny and wooody in the nuts at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Read the NYT article...
    Yeah given the area I was assuming Rugby ball. I highly doubt it is an NFL football still. Maybe he can who knows. Every year we seem to sign 2 or 3 rugby or soccer players and they never pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Id like this guy to scissor kick tanny and wooody in the nuts at the same time
    YES!! Or with a football or soccer ball, that might hurt more.

All League
    the stupidity and bad press continues. The NY jets are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    At least you have your Giants (championship team) to root for

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2