Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Great Grantland article on Jets

  1. #1

    Great Grantland article on Jets


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post
    wow, great stuff, haven't read this guy before

  3. #3
    Very good article. He pretty much nails everything. My only disagreement is Norv. Imagine he does a good job as OC for one season, but the team still misses the playoffs. Now when Woody fires Rex, it will be way too easy to just elevate Norv. And then a bad situation becomes a disaster.

  4. #4
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post
    His main ideas are ok...hire norv turner mainly.

    But for such a long article, it makes it seem like he's done his homework-- then he proceeds to include Davis in as an 'old LB', mentions cutting Keller (no contract), and then recommends cutting every single player...

    He also spins the positives and previous successes of years past in an over the top way. So basically, everything but the hire norv turner portion was exaggerated and made it sound like we were 0-16.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    His main ideas are ok...hire norv turner mainly.

    But for such a long article, it makes it seem like he's done his homework-- then he proceeds to include Davis in as an 'old LB', mentions cutting Keller (no contract), and then recommends cutting every single player...

    He also spins the positives and previous successes of years past in an over the top way. So basically, everything but the hire norv turner portion was exaggerated and made it sound like we were 0-16.
    I'm pretty sure he mixed up David Harris name. If you keep reading you can clearly see he's talking about Harris.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,793
    The Harris contract might be worse than Sanchez one. Although I think Sanchez was only given $800k more and we were screwed even before the "extension".

    Tanny must go.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,459
    I agree with the rebuild scenario. Accelerate the cap hits in 2013, clean house with a new GM. Time to hit the reset button. We had our window. It has closed. Find another, bigger window.

  8. #8
    It was a good read. I agree that the team needs drastic changes on the offense. A team that invests nothing into developing the Offense will always struggle to score points and this is an offensive league. Ditch the stupid ground and pound, we don't even have a RB to man it.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    628
    Reset button? Get real! We missed the post season due to our totally inept QB plain and simple. Now the rest of the team aren't pro bowlers except for maybe Mo and Cro this year but this poor showing is totally on Marks inacccuracy, TO's, lack of FBIQ, etc etc. The author hit the nail on the head by saying that Rex had no choice but to play Mark and I'm still ready to stick with Rex. I'm for cutting Sanchez and taking the cap hit. I wouldn't mind cutting some over the hill players he mentions but a clean sweep is not called for at all. Free up some cap space and roster spots and fill them with UDFA etc if need be but no way a total rebuilt is required.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,515
    Dumb article, repeating "the likes of" every other sentence as if EVERY Jet move was a misstep

    " Cut everyone" without examining the financial ramifications of doing so let alone the on-field ones

    Good for SOJFs tho

  11. #11
    Great article. Don't agree with all of it ... But intelligent read.

  12. #12
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    I remember not too long ago that the koolaid drinkers saying Tanny is best GM in football and calling him the CAP genius. Not too genius now isn't he?

  13. #13
    he would be if sanchez worked out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    I remember not too long ago that the koolaid drinkers saying Tanny is best GM in football and calling him the CAP genius. Not too genius now isn't he?

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,625
    Interesting article.

    Lots of opinions and options (not really with Sanchez, only 2: keep/trade) to pursue next year and see how this whole thing shakes out.

  15. #15
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Harris contract might be worse than Sanchez one. Although I think Sanchez was only given $800k more and we were screwed even before the "extension".

    Tanny must go.
    Harris strikes me as a guy who will restructure, and given the way tanny work(s)(ed) the cap- I imagine it has highs (like this year) and lows in that contract. I imagine Harris has a lot of his initial money out of the way (pure speculation based on tanny).

    Brick is a LT, you need that on any team- rebuilding or not. Cromartie is playing like a top corner, and is a surprising leader- wouldn't move him (as stated in the article)

    The bad contracts are the early guarantees, clearly Sanchez and Holmes deals. Moving on from Sanchez (and Sparano) may make Holmes ok for another year. However, like Coles did- Sanchez and Holmes have the opportunity to take less and walk away early. Or, like Gholston- take less and stay (looking more towards Sanchez on this one...Holmes won't do this).

    Sanchez has made a lot of money, and seems like a nice/humble kid- I don't think he walks away from $ to leave, but if no trade offer comes and he wants out- I think he would agree to less to get out. Pure speculation.

    Two moves I also think may happen (if Ryan stays and new GM is an internal hire). Landry gauges market and re-signs, I think he likes the pitch count and veteran benefits Rex gives him (and we will give him market value). The next is- after we cut Pace, the chance he re-signs for a small deal to stay given that Rex likes his coverage skills (and not many teams will come to him with an offer) and replacing 2 OLBs in one offseason seems impossible.

  16. #16
    Pretty good read.

    I said after the 49er embarrassing loss...the Jets and Sanchez were done. Blow it up. Maybe it won't happen in 2013. But if Sanchez is still on the team. Then next season will be a mess too. And the start over will occur in 2014.

    It's just a question of when the Jets want to take their poison. Tanny has run out of poker chips. Rex has put his trust into too many fading veterans...and Sanchez.

    And it sucks.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,515
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    Harris strikes me as a guy who will restructure, and given the way tanny work(s)(ed) the cap- I imagine it has highs (like this year) and lows in that contract. I imagine Harris has a lot of his initial money out of the way (pure speculation based on tanny).

    Brick is a LT, you need that on any team- rebuilding or not. Cromartie is playing like a top corner, and is a surprising leader- wouldn't move him (as stated in the article)

    The bad contracts are the early guarantees, clearly Sanchez and Holmes deals. Moving on from Sanchez (and Sparano) may make Holmes ok for another year. However, like Coles did- Sanchez and Holmes have the opportunity to take less and walk away early. Or, like Gholston- take less and stay (looking more towards Sanchez on this one...Holmes won't do this).

    Sanchez has made a lot of money, and seems like a nice/humble kid- I don't think he walks away from $ to leave, but if no trade offer comes and he wants out- I think he would agree to less to get out. Pure speculation.

    Two moves I also think may happen (if Ryan stays and new GM is an internal hire). Landry gauges market and re-signs, I think he likes the pitch count and veteran benefits Rex gives him (and we will give him market value). The next is- after we cut Pace, the chance he re-signs for a small deal to stay given that Rex likes his coverage skills (and not many teams will come to him with an offer) and replacing 2 OLBs in one offseason seems impossible.
    +1, ^^^ more insight than the article

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post
    Forgive me if already posted.
    I posted it earlier but it disappeared quickly, I didn't sell it like you did I guess...

    In any case, I agree pretty much with everything he said.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Very good article. He pretty much nails everything. My only disagreement is Norv. Imagine he does a good job as OC for one season, but the team still misses the playoffs. Now when Woody fires Rex, it will be way too easy to just elevate Norv. And then a bad situation becomes a disaster.
    +10000000000000000000. If you bring that guy here you run the risk of someone thinking he is a head coach in waiting.

  20. #20
    Love Barnwell's stuff on Grantland, really liked this article.

    It was interesting to see him talk about Rex as a coach of a rebuilding project. He really doesn't have the makeup of a guy that could handle a rebuild. I don't think that the trade scenario he gets into would actually happen, especially with all the other coaching candidates this year (grudens, kelly, etc)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us