Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Per Mehta Jets to try and trade Sanchez after season per source***

Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

“(Ryan) loves him,” a team official said.

If a man that has no clue about offensive football says he loves a QB, that says it all. He also loves Sanchez. If he stays as HC, he should have ZERO say about the offensive side of the ball

As pathetic as the Jets are right now, they would be even worse off with Vick. To even consider this washed up QB which was not even a good QB in his prime, is beyond ridiculous

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    They can try all they want. It ain't gonna happen.

We gave up a 4 for Tebow and according to professional NFL Head Coaches Sanchez is much better then Tebow. There is a market for Sanchez and I suspect down the road he is going to bite us badly.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

solid offensive line? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1223973

NY Jets ready to get rid of Mark Sanchez, will explore trade market for former first round pick

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2012, 8:37 PM

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Once considered 'The Sanchise' Mark Sanchez's future with the Jets is in doubt.
    Less than four years after the Jets made a franchise-changing decision to move up in the draft for Mark Sanchez, they will attempt to trade the struggling quarterback after the season.

One day after Rex Ryan benched Sanchez for third-stringer Greg McElroy for Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Daily News has learned that the Jets will explore trading the player that they once believed would be their franchise quarterback.

It’s a stunning reality for a team that enjoyed the success of back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in Sanchez’s first two seasons. The Jets’ decision to look for trading partners doesn’t eliminate the possibility that he could be back in 2013 and still compete for the starting job.

In order for the Jets to pull off a deal, they would almost certainly have to absorb the bulk of Sanchez’s guaranteed $8.25 million base salary for 2013. The likely out-of-pocket ceiling for potential suitors would be $3 million.

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently.

The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

“Bring it on,” one Jets source said about signing Vick if he becomes available. “He was hit too many times (behind a subpar offensive line) the last two years.”
    Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

No matter which quarterback the Jets bring in to either replace or compete with Sanchez (if he’s not traded), Ryan will place special emphasis on ball security. Sanchez has a league-high 50 turnovers in the last 30 games.

“Our big thing is turning the football over,” Ryan said on Wednesday. “If you can point at one thing that we have to do better as a football team, and Mark has to do as a quarterback, that’s the thing I would look at: We have to protect the football. File that in the ‘No Kidding’ deal, but that’s the truth.”

Sanchez’s career arc has been unusual, to say the least. Expectations sky-rocketed after he won four road playoff games over his first two seasons. He had a 3:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in six playoff games, tantalizing the franchise for what could lie ahead.

“Mark’s won games in this league. It’s not like he hasn’t,” Ryan said. “It’s hard to win playoff games in this league, and he’s got four of them all on the road. Wins against Peyton Manning on the road. Wins against Tom Brady. It’s not like he doesn’t have the tools to do it. That’s why we did take him with the fifth overall pick.”

Ryan praised Sanchez for having “the athleticism to be a tremendous quarterback,” but his penchant for giving up the ball was the breaking point for the coach. Sanchez revealed on Wednesday that Ryan relayed the news of his benching in the post-game locker room after his five-turnover performance in a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday.

“It’s not like a debate,” Sanchez said. “He’s the head man and he makes the decisions.”

Sanchez took scout-team reps in practice for the first time in his career Wednesday as McElroy prepared for his first career start. He didn’t speculate about his future with the team or address whether he felt hampered by lack of offensive weapons this season.

“I’m not going to make excuses,” Sanchez said. “At the end of the day, no matter what kind of situation that you’re in, the quarterback has the ball and it’s my job to make good decisions with the football regardless of personnel situation. I’m not going to go there. Is every interception the quarterback’s fault? Of course not. But they’re attributed to the quarterback. It goes as my stat. You live with that. You own up to your side of the mistakes and you move on.”

It was probably a surreal day for Sanchez, but he reiterated that his primary focus was to help McElroy prepare for his big moment.

“It’s different than what I expected in August,” Sanchez said. “But it’ll somehow work out. Make me better. Make me stronger.”

Even if it is not with the Jets.

Twitter.com/MMehtanydn

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2FYKMD1ur
    That's funny, now I now that person he's quoting does not like Sanchez because Sanchez has had his share of beatings behind this "Stable" line.

Can we not get a retread QB. Stop chasing good money after bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Since there has been several people throwing out different numbers about the cap effect and what money the Jets can eat or save by trading or cutting Sanchez, I figured I would post this article from NYJETSCAP.COM that explains the scenarios involved with trading or cutting Mark.

Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.

It is hard to picture a scenario in which Sanchez is back with the Jets after this move so in my mind they have two options to move him:

A. Find a trade partner willing to give up a conditional late round draft choice. I cant see anyone in the NFL willing to pay $8.25 million for Sanchez but if you can find someone willing to spend $4.3 million for him you can break even on the cap. What you would do in this case is pay Sanchez a $3.95 million dollar bonus before the trade is sent to the league office. The trading team picks up the balance of the $4.3 million dollar guarantee. The cap hit for the Jets would equal $12,853,125, exactly the cost of keeping him on the roster next season, leaving the team with a net zero cap effect. While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Steelers, who need a quality backup, or Cardinals, who need a starter, could bite.

B. Designate Sanchez a June 1 cut. This doesn’t help you with cap room until June 1st but it keeps you from losing cap room by the outright release of the player. If you designate Sanchez a June 1 cut you will retain his $12.85 million cap charge until June 1st rather than taking on the $17.15 million charge. Once June 1 hits his cap charge will reduce to $12.353 million and you will take the $4.8 million balance as a charge in 2014.

I would think those are the only options the Jets can handle. The third option is to keep him on the team, but I find that hard to see as beneficial to any party involved. In this case you have to determine what Sanchez is worth on the open markets ($1-2 million), make that his base salary and prorate the remaining amount. For example you would pay him a $1 million dollar salary and convert the $8.25 million guarantee to a signing bonus. That reduces his cap charge to $7,165,625, a savings of about $5.68 million for 2013. The big negative of that is that his dead cap is increased from $4.8 million in 2014 to $10,987,500. You may end up paying cap for him from 2013-2015 under this scenario plus using a roster spot on him in 2013. Im not sure if that is a smart move.

Keep in mind that in both of these scenarios Sanchez will still cost 12.8 million against the cap even if he isnt on the team.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 12-20-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    We gave up a 4 for Tebow and according to professional NFL Head Coaches Sanchez is much better then Tebow. There is a market for Sanchez and I suspect down the road he is going to bite us badly.
    I don't think Sanchez is better than Tebow and Tebow is not good and is a nitzche player. Any coach or gm with a brain would stay 1000 miles away from sanchez, his ticket and cap hit are just not worth his level of performance.

The only chance to trade him would be to take on someone else over-priced garbage.

I'm sure there's a team out there with a player they simply don't want on the team but can't cut due to a huge cap issues. That doesn't really help much but at least it gets Sanchez out of NY...

If we keep him we are screwed(malcontent). If we release him we are screwed. Suckchez is going to screw the Jets anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Steelers, who need a quality backup, or Cardinals, who need a starter, could bite.
    Yeah it does seem crazy indeed. If you were the gm of either of these teams would you be going after this player after this past year? The Jets and their fans have ALWAYS over valued this player and if I was the Cardinals I would see Skeleton, Lindley, Kolb except two more years down the road and perhaps more expensive. The Steelers are about low cost backups that can manage a game. Are they going to spring for the pillsbury dough boy of Qb's?

Watching guys like foles and Wilson teams are no longer afraid to draft a QB after the 1st round and feel they can be 2nd or 3rd string right off the bat. I'll be pleasantly shocked if the Jets actually manage to mitigate the cap damage by getting someone to take him off our hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not to pat myself on the back (), but like I said a couple of days ago, if the Jets want to get rid of Sanchez, they'll get rid of him.

They're not going to keep him simply because of salary. They'll find a way to get it done with the least amount of damage possible. If it means taking part of the cap hit, they will. The key is the trading partner and that team won't be taking on a great financial risk because they can cut him the following year with no cap hit.

Phillyjet has a point here.

If the Jets FO is forced to keep Sanchez on the roster because he's a greedy little a$$hole, he'll be on the bench ALL season. Hell, they won't even activate him for the games.

So although he'll screw the Jets by taking 8.25 million when he isn't even worth the vet minimum, he'll NEVER get another NFL job.

If he sits for a whole season and really doesn't get the chance to play at all, coupled with his piss poor history as a starting QB? Well, he might a tryout or two, but he'll likely be out of the league for good.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't think Sanchez is better than Tebow and Tebow is not good and is a nitzche player. Any coach or gm with a brain would stay 1000 miles away from sanchez, his ticket and cap hit are just not worth his level of performance.
    His cap hit to a team trading for him is not nearly as much as his cap hit is to the Jets.

Since there has been several people throwing out different numbers about the cap effect and what money the Jets can eat or save by trading or cutting Sanchez, I figured I would post this article from NYJETSCAP.COM that explains the scenarios involved with trading or cutting Mark.

Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.

It is hard to picture a scenario in which Sanchez is back with the Jets after this move so in my mind they have two options to move him:

A. Find a trade partner willing to give up a conditional late round draft choice. I cant see anyone in the NFL willing to pay $8.25 million for Sanchez but if you can find someone willing to spend $4.3 million for him you can break even on the cap. What you would do in this case is pay Sanchez a $3.95 million dollar bonus before the trade is sent to the league office. The trading team picks up the balance of the $4.3 million dollar guarantee. The cap hit for the Jets would equal $12,853,125, exactly the cost of keeping him on the roster next season, leaving the team with a net zero cap effect. While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Steelers, who need a quality backup, or Cardinals, who need a starter, could bite.

B. Designate Sanchez a June 1 cut. This doesn’t help you with cap room until June 1st but it keeps you from losing cap room by the outright release of the player. If you designate Sanchez a June 1 cut you will retain his $12.85 million cap charge until June 1st rather than taking on the $17.15 million charge. Once June 1 hits his cap charge will reduce to $12.353 million and you will take the $4.8 million balance as a charge in 2014.

I would think those are the only options the Jets can handle. The third option is to keep him on the team, but I find that hard to see as beneficial to any party involved. In this case you have to determine what Sanchez is worth on the open markets ($1-2 million), make that his base salary and prorate the remaining amount. For example you would pay him a $1 million dollar salary and convert the $8.25 million guarantee to a signing bonus. That reduces his cap charge to $7,165,625, a savings of about $5.68 million for 2013. The big negative of that is that his dead cap is increased from $4.8 million in 2014 to $10,987,500. You may end up paying cap for him from 2013-2015 under this scenario plus using a roster spot on him in 2013. Im not sure if that is a smart move.

Keep in mind that in both of these scenarios Sanchez will still cost 12.8 million against the cap even if he isnt on the team.
    Steelers backup QB is an interesting possibility I had not thought about. They actually may have a positive opinion of Mark because he played well against them in 2010. Ben is somewhat injury prone and they could use a young backup with competent experience. I could maybe see them being a suitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Chad Henne got a 2 yr $6.75 million contract with the Jaguars this past off-season to be the backup. Sanchez could get a comparable contract if not more b/c he has had way more success then Henne. So $3 million is not out of the realm of possibility.
    No if there is a team that is interested in Sanchez -3mil is not unreasonable amount to pay him. but that still means that it will hit the jets cap 2 mill more than the 12.7 already.

His cap hit to a team trading for him is not nearly as much as his cap hit is to the Jets.
    I realize that, but unless someone can tell me how the jets will make his cap hit 1 million at most for another team I don't see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No if there is a team that is interested in Sanchez -3mil is not unreasonable amount to pay him. but that still means that it will hit the jets cap 2 mill more than the 12.7 already.
    In a trade scenario the minimum a team can get Sanchez for next year would be 4.3 million. The Jets can not "eat" more than 3.9 million of his salary.

In a trade scenario the minimum a team can get Sanchez for next year would be 4.3 million. The Jets can not "eat" more than 3.9 million of his salary.
    Also, one thing that wasn't clear from Jason's article (but you can see here http://nyjetscap.com/salary14.html ) is that I believe Sanchez is guaranteed $3.2M in 2014 (dead money minus the Prorated bonus that was already paid). So in the restructure example given, the other team is on the hook for $4.3M in 2013 and $3.2M in 2014.

I can't help myself. I love the idea of Vick in NY.

Here's the Sanchez contract...ugh...

http://www.nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

Any team trading for Sanchez...has to pick up his contract. No team can carry Sanchez beyond 2013. They wouldn't pay Sanchez $13.1 in 2014. They would have to cut Sanchez and take on the dead CAP charge of $4.8. In 2015 =$3.2. In 2016 = $1.6...I just don't see a trade for Sanchez happening.

B. I hope the Jets take the June 1st pill, and minimize the CAP damage for 2013. Teams know this is when Jets may cut Sanchez. If he's cut then...those wanting him for their #1 or #2 QB...can then sign him to a CAP friendly deal.

Of course...Jets may not have the stomach to take the $12.8 pill. keeping Sanchez instead. And the veterans would have to go through the offseason program with Sanchez beside them. And nobody wants to be in the same foxhole with a guy that can get you killed...ie: a losing QB and no playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. And Rex will probably be fired after another losing season.

I do feel sorry for Rex. Cause he had no GM to control him...to say no to a Holmes deal Rex wanted at any cost. To protect him...to prevent Tebow being dumped into his lap. To help with the offense...providing complementary playmakers and an OC-QB coach to make it work.

Anyway you look at this...if not much changes...it's going to be difficult to prevent the deja-vu of another 2012 type season.