Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Per Mehta Jets to try and trade Sanchez after season per source***

is Sanchez tradeable?

Just hear me out here. You might think that it is impossible to trade him given his regression, but I bet there are teams out there that still see upside. Meanwhile, no way the Jets can cut him with that cap charge.

Say the Jets say to Mark, we're not cutting you, and you are not starting next year. You'll be released after having sat on the bench for a year and make little to nothing as a free agent. Or... you work with us to find a trading partner. You're due 8 million next year, maybe you renegotiate and sign for 3-4 years, 12-14 million to facilitate a trade (average 3-4 mil/year). You make more money over that time than you would have if you stayed. And you have the chance to resurrect your career.

Possible suitors:
    1) Arizona (desperate)
    2) Oakland (eventually to move on from Carson, and Sanchez wants back to west coast)
    3) Jacksonville (the Gabbert experiment is almost over)
    4) St. Louis (maybe open competition with Bradford, or be his back-up, reunite with Shotty)

Could receive a mid-round pick or a vet in return (not sure of a Carson Palmer swap, e.g., don't know cap possibilities there).

Questions to the cap gurus:
    1) Is he tradable, meaning, could that reduce the cap hit to the Jets, compared to an outright release?
    2) What would the actually cap hit be if they could move him?

Jets Insider VIP
    No

Not in the least

We cut him and take the cap hit right on the chin or he's on the team next year. No other option.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No

Not in the least
    Not asking about whether you think there is a market, only what the cap implications are if they were to find a partner. My sense is Sanchez is going to want out as much as the Jets organization will want out. His agent will probably be looking for a win/win, and I don't see any way that the Jets simply cut him and take that cap hit. I am betting that if he is really determined to rehab his career, he will extend in a cap favorable way with a potential trading partner to give them a low-risk option for rehabbing his career.

I say this because I think at the end of the day Mark does have a competitive spirit and he knows his days are done here. He also knows that there is no way in hell that the Jets are taking a $17 million cap hit to release him.

The only question is, whether the Jets can reduce their cap hit if they find a trading partner. What's the answer to that?

no team in the nfl wants him.

refresh my memory years ago wasnt jeff george signed to a team and the team paid him to not be there for the entire year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    We cut him and take the cap hit right on the chin or he's on the team next year.
    I'm willing to take the cap hit even if it means that's the only real move we can make this offseason.

It's worth it just to ensure that we're in no danger of seeing him line up behind center next year.

The kid stinks and it's best to wash the stink off. Not let it linger from the bench.

This is no quick fix anyway. We aren't one or two moves away from getting back to contention. This is a 2-3 year rebuild project unless McElroy knocks our f*cking socks off.

We cut him and take the cap hit right on the chin or he's on the team next year. No other option.
    I think you're saying that no team would trade a bag of balls for Sanchez. You might be right - but that's an opinion.

It's been discussed already. We could restructure his 2013 salary so we pay him say a $4M roster bonus, then his guaranteed 2013 salary is reduced by $4M. He still has some money guaranteed in 2014 though.

Would someone give us something for Sanchez with that restructured contract? They'd be on the hook for ~$4M in 2013 and some more in 2014. Personally, I think there's a possibility. If it wasn't for the guaranteed money in 2014, I'd say 100% we could find a trading partner...

And yes, if we did a trade like what I described above, it would help our cap a lot, both in 2013 and 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Just hear me out here. You might think that it is impossible to trade him given his regression, but I bet there are teams out there that still see upside. Meanwhile, no way the Jets can cut him with that cap charge.

Say the Jets say to Mark, we're not cutting you, and you are not starting next year. You'll be released after having sat on the bench for a year and make little to nothing as a free agent. Or... you work with us to find a trading partner. You're due 8 million next year, maybe you renegotiate and sign for 3-4 years, 12-14 million to facilitate a trade (average 3-4 mil/year). You make more money over that time than you would have if you stayed. And you have the chance to resurrect your career.

Possible suitors:
    1) Arizona (desperate)
    2) Oakland (eventually to move on from Carson, and Sanchez wants back to west coast)
    3) Jacksonville (the Gabbert experiment is almost over)
    4) St. Louis (maybe open competition with Bradford, or be his back-up, reunite with Shotty)

Could receive a mid-round pick or a vet in return (not sure of a Carson Palmer swap, e.g., don't know cap possibilities there).

Questions to the cap gurus:
    1) Is he tradable, meaning, could that reduce the cap hit to the Jets, compared to an outright release?
    2) What would the actually cap hit be if they could move him?
    If you could move him it will be a 17mill cap hit on the 2013 salary cap and no he would not reduce his salary. Why? He gets to sit collect 8.75 mill dollars while he recovers his damaged psych running the scout team practices next year. The jets then cut him in 2014 take a 4.5 mill hit and he is a FA shopping himself to any of 31 teams of his choosing. A team than runs a system that he likes, for a coach he likes and with a team with an open competition or at worse a job as a B/u holding a clip board for 2 mill a year.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I think you're saying that no team would trade a bag of balls for Sanchez. You might be right - but that's an opinion.

It's been discussed already. We could restructure his 2013 salary so we pay him say a $4M roster bonus, then his guaranteed 2013 salary is reduced by $4M. He still has some money guaranteed in 2014 though.

Would someone give us something for Sanchez with that restructured contract? They'd be on the hook for ~$4M in 2013 and some more in 2014. Personally, I think there's a possibility. If it wasn't for the guaranteed money in 2014, I'd say 100% we could find a trading partner...

And yes, if we did a trade like what I described above, it would help our cap a lot, both in 2013 and 2014.
    His contract is UNTRADABLE. Why in the hell would Sanchez restructure guaranteed money?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If you could move him it will be a 17mill cap hit on the 2013 salary cap and no he would not reduce his salary. Why? He gets to sit collect 8.75 mill dollars while he recovers his damaged psych running the scout team practices next year. The jets then cut him in 2014 take a 4.5 mill hit and he is a FA shopping himself to any of 31 teams of his choosing. A team than runs a system that he likes, for a coach he likes and with a team with an open competition or at worse a job as a B/u holding a clip board for 2 mill a year.
    it's still a 17 million hit if another team agrees to restructure and pay out over a longer term his guaranteed 8.25 million?

His contract is UNTRADABLE. Why in the hell would Sanchez restructure guaranteed money?
    he would if he went to a good place, added additional years and money that he wouldn't see on the back end of this deal. And a chance at stability to rehab his career. If he knows that he is sitting in a black hole for $8.25 million for 1 year, or getting a chance to compete over 3-4 years for 14 million potentially, he might prefer that.

Question is whether there is any benefit for the Jets in trying to work with his agent to accomplish that. Patman says no, thshadow says yes. Has Jason or nyjetscap (are they the same?) commented on that?

he would if he went to a good place, added additional years and money that he wouldn't see on the back end of this deal. And a chance at stability to rehab his career. If he knows that he is sitting in a black hole for $8.25 million for 1 year, or getting a chance to compete over 3-4 years for 14 million potentially, he might prefer that.

Question is whether there is any benefit for the Jets in trying to work with his agent to accomplish that. Patman says no, thshadow says yes. Has Jason or nyjetscap (are they the same?) commented on that?
    I know you have hope for this. And I hope I am 100% wrong on if they can trade him. It's not $8.25 million we're looking at, it's 17 + mil of dead cap space.

Jets Insider VIP

***Per Mehta Jets to try and trade Sanchez after season per source***

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets will try to trade Mark Sanchez after the season, per source. Full story on @nydailynews website #nyj

Hall Of Fame

Sanchez can not just take a pay cut and re-work his deal so he can be released with any cap benefit to the Jets. Best case scenario the Jets convert some salary to bonus, trade Sanchez for a kicking tee, new team pays the balance of the 8.25 million salary and the Jets cap is still on the hook for 12.8 million. Not a great situation. Bottom line, whether Sanchez is on this team or not, there will still be a sizable cap hit because of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Duh.

Although I am positive that nobody told him this.

I'm sure teams will be lining up in droves to get one of the worst QBs the league has seen.

Jets Insider VIP
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1223973

NY Jets ready to get rid of Mark Sanchez, will explore trade market for former first round pick

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2012, 8:37 PM

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Once considered 'The Sanchise' Mark Sanchez's future with the Jets is in doubt.
    Less than four years after the Jets made a franchise-changing decision to move up in the draft for Mark Sanchez, they will attempt to trade the struggling quarterback after the season.

One day after Rex Ryan benched Sanchez for third-stringer Greg McElroy for Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Daily News has learned that the Jets will explore trading the player that they once believed would be their franchise quarterback.

It’s a stunning reality for a team that enjoyed the success of back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in Sanchez’s first two seasons. The Jets’ decision to look for trading partners doesn’t eliminate the possibility that he could be back in 2013 and still compete for the starting job.

In order for the Jets to pull off a deal, they would almost certainly have to absorb the bulk of Sanchez’s guaranteed $8.25 million base salary for 2013. The likely out-of-pocket ceiling for potential suitors would be $3 million.

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently.

The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

“Bring it on,” one Jets source said about signing Vick if he becomes available. “He was hit too many times (behind a subpar offensive line) the last two years.”

Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

“(Ryan) loves him,” a team official said.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

No matter which quarterback the Jets bring in to either replace or compete with Sanchez (if he’s not traded), Ryan will place special emphasis on ball security. Sanchez has a league-high 50 turnovers in the last 30 games.

“Our big thing is turning the football over,” Ryan said on Wednesday. “If you can point at one thing that we have to do better as a football team, and Mark has to do as a quarterback, that’s the thing I would look at: We have to protect the football. File that in the ‘No Kidding’ deal, but that’s the truth.”

Sanchez’s career arc has been unusual, to say the least. Expectations sky-rocketed after he won four road playoff games over his first two seasons. He had a 3:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in six playoff games, tantalizing the franchise for what could lie ahead.

“Mark’s won games in this league. It’s not like he hasn’t,” Ryan said. “It’s hard to win playoff games in this league, and he’s got four of them all on the road. Wins against Peyton Manning on the road. Wins against Tom Brady. It’s not like he doesn’t have the tools to do it. That’s why we did take him with the fifth overall pick.”

Ryan praised Sanchez for having “the athleticism to be a tremendous quarterback,” but his penchant for giving up the ball was the breaking point for the coach. Sanchez revealed on Wednesday that Ryan relayed the news of his benching in the post-game locker room after his five-turnover performance in a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday.

“It’s not like a debate,” Sanchez said. “He’s the head man and he makes the decisions.”

Sanchez took scout-team reps in practice for the first time in his career Wednesday as McElroy prepared for his first career start. He didn’t speculate about his future with the team or address whether he felt hampered by lack of offensive weapons this season.

“I’m not going to make excuses,” Sanchez said. “At the end of the day, no matter what kind of situation that you’re in, the quarterback has the ball and it’s my job to make good decisions with the football regardless of personnel situation. I’m not going to go there. Is every interception the quarterback’s fault? Of course not. But they’re attributed to the quarterback. It goes as my stat. You live with that. You own up to your side of the mistakes and you move on.”

It was probably a surreal day for Sanchez, but he reiterated that his primary focus was to help McElroy prepare for his big moment.

“It’s different than what I expected in August,” Sanchez said. “But it’ll somehow work out. Make me better. Make me stronger.”

Even if it is not with the Jets.

Twitter.com/MMehtanydn

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2FYKMD1ur

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Duh.

Although I am positive that nobody told him this.
    Probably knows already. Couple teams are very desperate. Arizona for one.

If we get Vick, I'm done as a fan. Not paying PSL payment.

it's still a 17 million hit if another team agrees to restructure and pay out over a longer term his guaranteed 8.25 million?
    No it is not a 17 mill hit. It will be a 8.5 mill hit to account for three years of non amortized bonus money that he has already received. The new team is responsible for his 2013 salary of 8.25 mill and his $500,000 Work out bonus.

However this would assume that there is a team that is willing to give him more than the 8.75 he is guaranteed as a SB and spread that hit over say 4 years and that the contract will need to pay hm at least 2mill more for each of those 4 years. Do you think there is any GM in the league that will go to his owner and say give me 10 mill so I can give it to Mark Sanchez as a signing bonus?

Pretty far fetched scenario.