Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Per Mehta Jets to try and trade Sanchez after season per source***

Unless Sanchez changes his contract, he's here to stay, or we take the huge hit in the cap. He will take the money and run. Thanks to Tanny and his powerful contract negotiations, the Jets are screwed for at least 2 seasons. Then they can rebuild.

Any new GM would love this senario. A new Gm can come in, watch Rex go 7-9 or 6-10, fire him and bring in his guy. As a potential GM, this is fantastic. because if Rex can turn it around, he can rebuild the team quicker. win win.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Just hear me out here. You might think that it is impossible to trade him given his regression, but I bet there are teams out there that still see upside. Meanwhile, no way the Jets can cut him with that cap charge.

Say the Jets say to Mark, we're not cutting you, and you are not starting next year. You'll be released after having sat on the bench for a year and make little to nothing as a free agent. Or... you work with us to find a trading partner. You're due 8 million next year, maybe you renegotiate and sign for 3-4 years, 12-14 million to facilitate a trade (average 3-4 mil/year). You make more money over that time than you would have if you stayed. And you have the chance to resurrect your career.

Possible suitors:
    1) Arizona (desperate)
    2) Oakland (eventually to move on from Carson, and Sanchez wants back to west coast)
    3) Jacksonville (the Gabbert experiment is almost over)
    4) St. Louis (maybe open competition with Bradford, or be his back-up, reunite with Shotty)

Could receive a mid-round pick or a vet in return (not sure of a Carson Palmer swap, e.g., don't know cap possibilities there).

Questions to the cap gurus:
    1) Is he tradable, meaning, could that reduce the cap hit to the Jets, compared to an outright release?
    2) What would the actually cap hit be if they could move him?
    I still think San Diego could have interest. They are done with Rivers and have similar (worse) contract issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No it is not a 17 mill hit. It will be a 8.5 mill hit to account for three years of non amortized bonus money that he has already received. The new team is responsible for his 2013 salary of 8.25 mill and his $500,000 Work out bonus.

However this would assume that there is a team that is willing to give him more than the 8.75 he is guaranteed as a SB and spread that hit over say 4 years and that the contract will need to pay hm at least 2mill more for each of those 4 years. Do you think there is any GM in the league that will go to his owner and say give me 10 mill so I can give it to Mark Sanchez as a signing bonus?

Pretty far fetched scenario.
    I think the more likely scenario is that they wait till June 1st to cut him and by doing that they will only take a $13 million cap hit in 2013 and a $4 million cap hit in 2014. That way they save $4 million off the 2013 cap. There is no way Sanchez is back. When they took his starting position away that signaled the end of his tenure as a Jet, just like what the Eagles did with Vick. Releasing Sanchez is not as impossible as some think. For the psyche of the team he needs to be gone and in my opinion that is worth more than $13 million. Tannenbaum may suck as a talent evaluator but he is a genius when it comes to manipulating the cap, they will make it work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He most certainly will get a 2nd chance but not for 3mill a year to be a back up

Ryan leaf was signed for vet min by tampa the year after the chargers released him.
    Chad Henne got a 2 yr $6.75 million contract with the Jaguars this past off-season to be the backup. Sanchez could get a comparable contract if not more b/c he has had way more success then Henne. So $3 million is not out of the realm of possibility.

I see sanchez out of football in 3 years. I think he wll go the jesse palmer route showing up in the bachelor and doing tv
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Just hear me out here. You might think that it is impossible to trade him given his regression, but I bet there are teams out there that still see upside. Meanwhile, no way the Jets can cut him with that cap charge.

Say the Jets say to Mark, we're not cutting you, and you are not starting next year. You'll be released after having sat on the bench for a year and make little to nothing as a free agent. Or... you work with us to find a trading partner. You're due 8 million next year, maybe you renegotiate and sign for 3-4 years, 12-14 million to facilitate a trade (average 3-4 mil/year). You make more money over that time than you would have if you stayed. And you have the chance to resurrect your career.

Possible suitors:
    1) Arizona (desperate)
    2) Oakland (eventually to move on from Carson, and Sanchez wants back to west coast)
    3) Jacksonville (the Gabbert experiment is almost over)
    4) St. Louis (maybe open competition with Bradford, or be his back-up, reunite with Shotty)

Could receive a mid-round pick or a vet in return (not sure of a Carson Palmer swap, e.g., don't know cap possibilities there).

Questions to the cap gurus:
    1) Is he tradable, meaning, could that reduce the cap hit to the Jets, compared to an outright release?
    2) What would the actually cap hit be if they could move him?

His 2013 contract is for $12.8 mil...with $8.25 of it guaranteed. If the Jets agree to pay the $8.25 guaranteed portion of the contract...then the other team would still be paying $4.55 of the total 2013 contract. That's way too much for another team to swallow. And even if they do...

If the team wants to cut him after the season is over...there would still be $4.8 mil in dead CAP money for 2014.

What team would do make such a deal...another FO of idiots I guess. Jets should just cut Sanchez and take the $17.1 dead CAP money and get it over with.

Because the 2013 real overall dead CAP money for the Jets...will be about $127 mil. Caused by Sanchez being a cancer...for him still being in a Jets uniform on this team.

The erosion of team unity will begin in the 2013 offseason programs. Attendance will not be as high as last year...due to veteran disenchantment with the FO. Many veterans will start tuning out of these non obligatory weight programs, OTA's and such. Attending only mandatory activities. The low esprit de corps could carry over to Cortland-TC too.

Then the 2013 season starts...

Are veteran players going to bust their ass for the 2013 season...if they don't believe they have a QB to win with? No chance for the playoffs again. Do the players trust Rex not to yank McElroy, or some other caretaker starter at QB, when he struggles and Jets lose...and Rex quickly replaces him with Sanchez? If most Jets fans have no confidence in Sanchez...what makes you think most players do? Sides will be drawn...fights will begin. Anonymous Jets whispering their complaints to Mehta will be a common occurrence.

There will be an uprising of fan disgust at home games for sure. And a media feeding frenzy of negativity...firing away at another dysfunctional failing Jets team.

Again...2013 dead CAP money = $127 mil. If sanchez is still here. Another wasted season.

Woody needs to do what's best for the NYJ. Take the CAP hit...cut Sanchez...and move on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can anyone STFU in this organization?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think the more likely scenario is that they wait till June 1st to cut him and by doing that they will only take a $13 million cap hit in 2013 and a $4 million cap hit in 2014. That way they save $4 million off the 2013 cap. There is no way Sanchez is back. When they took his starting position away that signaled the end of his tenure as a Jet, just like what the Eagles did with Vick. Releasing Sanchez is not as impossible as some think. For the psyche of the team he needs to be gone and in my opinion that is worth more than $13 million. Tannenbaum may suck as a talent evaluator but he is a genius when it comes to manipulating the cap, they will make it work.
    Yeah I believe this also excellent explanation

If he cost more to cut than to keep .. And we cannot find a trade partner to defray that difference ... He will be on the roster next year. Simple.

All Pro
    I can't see any way a team trades for Sanchez, unless it's to dump a similarly bad player with a terrible contract.

Hopefully, the FO isn't desperate enough to solve one problem with another. I'd rather just take the cap hit than take on another bad deal.

And anyone who actually thinks Vick is a good QB has obviously not watched him play in two years. He's terrible and would have just as many turnovers as Sanchez if he could actually stay healthy. The only thing worse than a lousy, turnover prone idiot of a QB is one who has a long history of injuries and concussions.

Please, stop bringing up Vick's name as the next signal caller of the Jets.

If the Jets bring him in, I'm officially done with them -- and it has nothing to do with Vick's Dog Killing past and everything to do with his inability to effectively play QB.

Completion % less than 60%, 23 INT and 20 fumbles in his last 22 games. This is what you guys want? No thanks.

trade sanchez for a 3rd or 4th round pick and move on. this is a better deal than people may think if mcelroy shows something in the last two games. if he doesn't then they need to bring in another qb, not henne, and actually try to keep tebow.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    trade sanchez for a 3rd or 4th round pick and move on. this is a better deal than people may think if mcelroy shows something in the last two games. if he doesn't then they need to bring in another qb, not henne, and actually try to keep tebow.

are you serious?

who the hell is going to give up a 3rd round pick AND big money for Sanchez?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I can't see any way a team trades for Sanchez, unless it's to dump a similarly bad player with a terrible contract.

Hopefully, the FO isn't desperate enough to solve one problem with another. I'd rather just take the cap hit than take on another bad deal.

And anyone who actually thinks Vick is a good QB has obviously not watched him play in two years. He's terrible and would have just as many turnovers as Sanchez if he could actually stay healthy. The only thing worse than a lousy, turnover prone idiot of a QB is one who has a long history of injuries and concussions.

Please, stop bringing up Vick's name as the next signal caller of the Jets.

If the Jets bring him in, I'm officially done with them -- and it has nothing to do with Vick's Dog Killing past and everything to do with his inability to effectively play QB.

Completion % less than 60%, 23 INT and 20 fumbles in his last 22 games. This is what you guys want? No thanks.
    +1.

Just saw the news feed on CNN and it said 'jets trying to trade Sanchez for Vick.'

Ugh. Why, god, why....

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Oh god. Vick. The circus and poor, turnover QB play will continue. What a freakin stupid ass franchise.
    It's just unreal that it is even suggested.

A washed up Michake Vickk in NYC and the JETS of all places.

Fill in "dog show circus acts" jokes here......

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Can anyone STFU in this organization?
    No, it adds to their pathetic-ness

Like the little girl that keeps running her mouth

That is the JETS way (owner)

Jets Insider VIP
    They are almost as whiny little girls as schoolteachers complaining about only getting 13 weeks of paid vacation a year

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sg3; 12-20-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Seriously though about the article

Blessedly no mention of the no value no use Teblow

Maybe he's going to be inactive or better yet CUT before Sunday

LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The thought of Mark Sanchez never donning a Jets jersey again after December 30 makes me the happiest I've been in my 24 years of Jets fan-hood.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think our past QB failures could help us in a trade for Mark.

1. We got rid of Pennington. Everyone thought he was done. He goes to Miami, wins the division and Chad had a real solid year.

2. We got rid of Favre. Everyone in NY couldn't wait to get him out of town. He goes to Minny, has a career year and has them a few plays from the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying Sanchez will go somewhere and be legit but it's possible given our past history when QB's leave NY.

We have no system and horrible offensive coaches for a QB to be successful here. Teams know this and could make Sanchez an interesting idea for Zona, Minny and a few other teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Mehta's article does account for it. The Jets will pay the guarantee of $8.5 million and then trade him so the new team will only have to pay him about $3.5 million and have less cap space taken up and Knicks dont get $17 million cap hit if they had cut him.
    No, those numbers are wrong.