Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am a lot more excited about this weeks game over last weeks game - but why?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He may look like the next Brady in a game that is absolutely meaningless for both teams and what exactly will that mean?
    I don't think this team needs a superstar QB. Just a game manager who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and moves the ball/keeps the opposing "O" off the field. It may not work in todays pass happy system/rules, but that is what Rex is aiming for. I am all for this for another year because the JETS hands are tied with horrible contracts. If it doesn't work then next year is the logical blow up time.
    The AFC East stinks right now (excluding the Pats) and it really would not be too difficult to advance to the playoffs with a decent team. Who know, maybe it can be better than that, but if you blow it all up this year it will be a complete franchise setback for 3-5 years. We just are not in position to blow it up yet or spend a lot of money on someone else's reject.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    The good part about this week is that we're advancing the Jets conversation. We've all debated and speculated all year, which is fun, too. But after Sunday, Sanchez was benched. Great - we've learned something and advanced the conversation. Then they decided to go with number 3, telling us they're not interested in Tebow at QB. Finally. Thank you, Jets. Speculation over.

Now on Sunday and next week hopefully we will advance it some more. Is McElroy any good? Can he possibly be the answer? Or will he stink up the joint?

It feels like we're finally moving forward.
    This

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    I don't think this team needs a superstar QB. Just a game manager who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and moves the ball/keeps the opposing "O" off the field. It may not work in todays pass happy system/rules, but that is what Rex is aiming for. I am all for this for another year because the JETS hands are tied with horrible contracts. If it doesn't work then next year is the logical blow up time.
    The AFC East stinks right now (excluding the Pats) and it really would not be too difficult to advance to the playoffs with a decent team. Who know, maybe it can be better than that, but if you blow it all up this year it will be a complete franchise setback for 3-5 years. We just are not in position to blow it up yet or spend a lot of money on someone else's reject.
    Unfortunately this is how Jets management sees it. A mediocre product can and will advance to the playoffs on a regular basis in what has become a pretty crappy league. It won't put you over and that should be the goal.

Good reasoned post and I agree with you. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can watch the Jets play these kind of games simply because they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. Football should be more then making the playoffs. When are we going to field a great football team?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Unfortunately this is how Jets management sees it. A mediocre product can and will advance to the playoffs on a regular basis in what has become a pretty crappy league. It won't put you over and that should be the goal.

Good reasoned post and I agree with you. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can watch the Jets play these kind of games simply because they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. Football should be more then making the playoffs. When are we going to field a great football team?
    I think that is what we all want but reality says the GM and salary cap are not going to let us do that (blow it up) so we/JETS have to try and salvage a year out of what they have left us. It is a bad situation, that is a fact.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think the Jets are going to win the last 2 games. Remember, when Greg McElroy came in for Sanchez against the Cards the team IMMEDIATELY started to play better. Everyone on offense seemed much more energetic and suddenly had more ability.

Those are the facts the way I see them.

Now, they'll be facing two subpar teams. We'll have a QB who doesn't give the ball up. We'll have a QB who actually PROTECTS the ball. So the fact that we have a QB that lifts the play of the rest of the team, playing two terrible teams, and we still have a good up and coming defense?

I believe that makes us winners of our last two games.
    These are the only 2 games in the past 4 years that the Jets are playing and they are already eliminated from playoff contention so I really don't know how the team is gonna come out and play? Are they going to be as motivated as in past games? There is no spoiler role because the teams we are playing are also out. So will we really be able to gauge McElroys potential? One thing I am sick of is hearing that he is a 7th round pick and because of that he doesn't have the talent to make it. How many 1st rounders have the talent and don't make it? Id give McElroy a better chance of being a franchise QB then Sanchez right now!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy's starting the first game of his career- many of us are excited to see what he can do since Sanchez and Tebow are awful.