Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question being discussed re McElroy

A question being discussed re McElroy

What if Sunday he comes in and just completely stinks up the joint? I mean a Sanchez-esque first half with multiple turnovers, shutout etc... What would Rex do? Go to Tebow? Go back to Sanchez? Stick it out? I'm not saying he will be everyone's assuming McElroy will play fairly well but the other side hasn't been discussed much at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    What if Sunday he comes in and just completely stinks up the joint? I mean a Sanchez-esque first half with multiple turnovers, shutout etc... What would Rex do? Go to Tebow? Go back to Sanchez? Stick it out? I'm not saying he will be everyone's assuming McElroy will play fairly well but the other side hasn't been discussed much at all.
    Yep..

One of the big negatives that could happen if McElroy stinks it up is the Jets might look to the 2013 NFL draft to find their next QB.....and next year's crop of QBs is god awful.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The point of McElroy starting a game is about seeing what he has - period. If he completely sucks, it was still worth starting him for evaluation purposes.

The season is lost. No reason to pull him for anyone else if he struggles.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Stick it out all 4 quarters ,, the kids 1st time starting a NFL game ,you have to give him a chance ,once 1 full game ,rex gave Mark 4 years to get it right . especially when this is basicly a extra preseason game that means nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Stick it out

There's no reason for Sanchez to ever take a snap in a Jets uniform again.

Ever

And Tebow is nothing more than a gadget player for his religious freak fans to fawn over.

Stick with McElroy.

Sanchez stunk up the place for 4 years. You're telling me we can't give McElroy two games?

All League
    If Lindley was allowed to play that entire Jets/Cardinals game, McElroy should be allowed to play the entirety of Sundays game

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The point of McElroy starting a game is about seeing what he has - period. If he completely sucks, it was still worth starting him for evaluation purposes.

The season is lost. No reason to pull him for anyone else if he struggles.
    Totally agree. Let him play next few games, start to finish. If he stinks, then we know he stinks, and get a better draft position. If he plays well, then maybe we have something.

Veteran
    McElroy isn't the answer either. He's just a stop gap till the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    McElroy isn't the answer either. He's just a stop gap till the offseason.
    Based on?

These games have become "exhibition" games..

And you see what you got with this guy..

I don't think anybody thinks he is going to be Tom Brady..

I am hoping he can be a capable backup qb..

He can't be worse than Sanchez has been..

That would be impossible.

First, I don't think he will "stink it out." But if he does they should stick with him and see how he response.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Stick it out

Ever

And Tebow is nothing more than a gadget player for his religious freak fans to fawn over.

Stick with McElroy.

Sanchez stunk up the place for 4 years. You're telling me we can't give McElroy two games?
    +1 6-10 or 8-8. Does not matter at this point. In fact, play ALL the baby Jets, lets see what the kids have. Here are two meaningless pre-season like games for any and all to evaluate scout etc. Prospective GM candidates whoever and wherever they are get to see what talent the Jets do or do not have. And as for fan entertainment.... **** it can't be worse than what we witnessed on Turkey Night or Monday Night. This team is awful to watch anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    +1 6-10 or 8-8. Does not matter at this point. In fact, play ALL the baby Jets, lets see what the kids have. Here are two meaningless pre-season like games for any and all to evaluate scout etc. Prospective GM candidates whoever and wherever they are get to see what talent the Jets do or do not have. And as for fan entertainment.... **** it can't be worse than what we witnessed on Turkey Night or Monday Night. This team is awful to watch anyway
    To most fans the difference in win loss records mean very little. To Rex and MT it means everything. After the season Rex is going to defend himself to Woody by saying "I have never had a losing season" if they win these last two games. And he would be correct. And not having a losing season is very, very hard to do when your quarter back turned the ball over 50 times in 30 games. 50 times doesn't include the many fumbles that his own team recovered.

It would be a miracle if this team finished 8-8 with the QB play this year. A couple of good teams aren't going to finish with a .500 record.

Stick it out

Ever

Stick with McElroy.

What's the point in not tying Tebow out? At the very least, it shuts up his cult of followers if he's as piss poor as believed.

Firmly believe if G-Mac tanks, throw Tim in, see what goes.

It doesn't matter if he's great or sucks, he ain't going to be the starting QB next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    What's the point in not tying Tebow out? At the very least, it shuts up his cult of followers if he's as piss poor as believed.

Firmly believe if G-Mac tanks, throw Tim in, see what goes.
    Because I don't see the point.

We've been eliminated from the playoffs and Timmy is about to be handed his walking papers.

McElroy is the only QB on this roster who will be retained next year. And with Sanchez done here he's also the only prototypical QB on the roster.

The last thing I want to see is Tebow look like he doesn't even belong on a football field for 55 minutes then pull a couple of meaningless last second wins out of his ass. Then we keep him around and have to be subjected to him next year.

He's a gadget player, he's a gimmick, he isn't an NFL QB.

Get him and his cult of religious freak fans away from my team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Because I don't see the point.

We've been eliminated from the playoffs and Timmy is about to be handed his walking papers.

McElroy is the only QB on this roster who will be retained next year. And with Sanchez done here he's also the only prototypical QB on the roster.

The last thing I want to see is Tebow look like he doesn't even belong on a football field for 55 minutes then pull a couple of meaningless last second wins out of his ass. Then we keep him around and have to be subjected to him next year.

He's a gadget player, he's a gimmick, he isn't an NFL QB.

Get him and his cult of religious freak fans away from my team.
    +243553434353553

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Well, not really. The point is to see how GMAC looks with the 1's, not the 3's. I would say that randomly inserting 1 or 2 "baby Jets" out there is OK but if too many are out there it would make evaluating GMAC harder.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    To most fans the difference in win loss records mean very little. To Rex and MT it means everything. After the season Rex is going to defend himself to Woody by saying "I have never had a losing season" if they win these last two games. And he would be correct. And not having a losing season is very, very hard to do when your quarter back turned the ball over 50 times in 30 games. 50 times doesn't include the many fumbles that his own team recovered.

It would be a miracle if this team finished 8-8 with the QB play this year. A couple of good teams aren't going to finish with a .500 record.
    Your right. My perspective is that of a fan, not a GM or coach fighting for their job. I for one would rather watch the experiment and the resulting potential hilarity (see Cards Seahawks 580-0 laugher with Lindley as example) than the death by 1000 turnovers and the lost 8 or so hours of my life watching it.