Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question being discussed re McElroy

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Because I don't see the point.

We've been eliminated from the playoffs and Timmy is about to be handed his walking papers.

McElroy is the only QB on this roster who will be retained next year. And with Sanchez done here he's also the only prototypical QB on the roster.

The last thing I want to see is Tebow look like he doesn't even belong on a football field for 55 minutes then pull a couple of meaningless last second wins out of his ass. Then we keep him around and have to be subjected to him next year.

He's a gadget player, he's a gimmick, he isn't an NFL QB.

Get him and his cult of religious freak fans away from my team.
    I share your opinion on Tim as a QB. But I'd still see what happens with him in if McElroy sucks it up.

Even if he does d!ck for 55 mins and pulls a W out with Tebow Time, I don't think anyone in the FO will settle for it. If me and you can see that's not how to setup a team for long-term success (Elway clearly saw it), I'm sure even out FO (as stupid as they are) will realize it too. But on the small (the smallest of small) chance that he's competent, maybe we have a Colin K, Russell Wilson type of our own.

I have nothing against seeing Tebow play if Mac stinks it up.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Well, not really. The point is to see how GMAC looks with the 1's, not the 3's. I would say that randomly inserting 1 or 2 "baby Jets" out there is OK but if too many are out there it would make evaluating GMAC harder.
    I overstated this.. Not the threes but guys like Coples, Reuland, Hill (if he were available). Not advocating emptying the PS onto the field.

I do want to see Braylon/ McElroy...... That will be interesting to see how it pans out........

Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL View Post
    Based on?
    Based on Rex Ryan and everyone else associated with the Jets telling us that Sanchez was the best QB on the roster. Here's a thought, maybe he wasn't lying.

That scenario is highly unlikely IMO.

While GMC may not throw for 300 yards on Sunday, he will most likely limit turnovers.

He's an incredibly smart guy - I mean like FAR above the average person, not just QBs/athletes. We all know about the Wonderlic score but beyond that...he graduated with a 3.85 GPA and applied for, but did not win, a Rhodes Scholarship in 2010.

GMC doesn't need a color coded wristband, he gets the game. I don't see him forcing the ball into triple coverage or fumbling snaps. He just gives off a calm, collected demeanor and his college stats (in the SEC) speak to that with 39 TDs, 10 INTs for his career.

This guy will be the Jeremy Lin of the Jets and I am excited we get two full games to see what he can do.

What if he has a clean stat line and plays flawless? Let's inject some optimism into this fanbase. I've never liked any of our recent back-ups (Brunell, Ainge, Bollinger, etc.), but I will go on record and say that GMC is the diamond in the rough.

All League
    McElroy is too smart to play "bad enough" to be pulled. I think the question is, will he impress enough to warrant a starting nod in 2013? Or will he just be "OK"?

So what? Two games and either most teams have things sewn up or have quit. I don't know if you conclude Mc is the right qb if he plays great. What are the Chargers and Bills playing for? They might not show up and McElroy has a great game against two teams that quit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    So what? Two games and either most teams have things sewn up or have quit. I don't know if you conclude Mc is the right qb if he plays great. What are the Chargers and Bills playing for? They might not show up and McElroy has a great game against two teams that quit.
    According to Kris Jenkins on inside the NFL last night pride.. And a spot on the team next season..

Mark and Tebow better not see a lick of action.

To play Tebow would be suicidal. He's not going to be on the team, and in the off chance that we can trade him, people around the league (Mr. Khan specifically) still have hopes for him based on last season. Why take the chance of having him play against cupcake teams and stinking it up, further devaluing him for trade purposes?

Mark unfortunately cannot be helped. He is a lost cause in a Jets uniform, and shouldnt see action simply because he too is done as a Jet.

This team should be McElroy's team for the next two games. Not because I think he's our future...because the kid has a weaker arm than I do, but because there's no reason to play the other two.

All Pro
    Gotta see if McElrory can give the Jets the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    One of the big negatives that could happen if McElroy stinks it up is the Jets might look to the 2013 NFL draft to find their next QB.....and next year's crop of QBs is god awful.
    What does that mean exactly?

There's not a top 5 quality pick?

Or simply no QB in all of college that could be a quality NFL player?

Would you have thought Russell Wilson was awful in last year's draft? Kaepernick?

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rothelseberger - none of them were top 10 picks.

Regardless what happens the rest of the year drafting a QB should absolutely be a target position. Doesn't have to be first round but we should certainly be looking.

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    What if Sunday he comes in and just completely stinks up the joint? I mean a Sanchez-esque first half with multiple turnovers, shutout etc... What would Rex do? Go to Tebow? Go back to Sanchez? Stick it out? I'm not saying he will be everyone's assuming McElroy will play fairly well but the other side hasn't been discussed much at all.
    He has to stink. There is no other possibility. As Sanchez defenders have pointed out the team has no supporting cast. No good receivers, no good running backs, the defense is slipping. If a franchise quarterback like Sanchez can't get it done with this supporting cast, no one can.

It's very simple.

Mac can stink it up all he can, it's still for the best.

Next year there will be a competition for the starting spot and he'll no doubt be a part of it. Mac vs Rookie vs Veteran vs Mark (?), may the best man win...

Mac can stink it up in start one, learn, and play better in start two. Any improvement is encouraging, and if he remains miserable, then at least we *know* what we have.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    He has to stink. There is no other possibility. As Sanchez defenders have pointed out the team has no supporting cast. No good receivers, no good running backs, the defense is slipping. If a franchise quarterback like Sanchez can't get it done with this supporting cast, no one can.
    Glad u brought this up because i have read time and time about Shonn Greene not being a good RB.

Just want to add my .02

I think there is absolutely a place on the team for Shonn Greene. I think he has actually performed pretty well despite the surroundings.
    For a fair price, i would like to keep Shonn a Jet. There needs to be additions back there alongside him, and if he is looking to get paid big $$$ he may have to walk, but as a part of the big picture, i hope he stays.

Go Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Your right. My perspective is that of a fan, not a GM or coach fighting for their job. I for one would rather watch the experiment and the resulting potential hilarity (see Cards Seahawks 580-0 laugher with Lindley as example) than the death by 1000 turnovers and the lost 8 or so hours of my life watching it.
    Jets are f*ked at the QB position.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Based on Rex Ryan and everyone else associated with the Jets telling us that Sanchez was the best QB on the roster. Here's a thought, maybe he wasn't lying.
    Fair enough but they had 20 million reason to say that. Maybe he wasn't lying just blinded

Let's not forget that Drew Bledsoe signed a 10 year, $100 million dollar contract before Mo Lewis knocked him out. The reason I bring this up is because the Patriots had NO intention of making Brady their starter but here we are 12 years later still paying for that Mo Lewis hit.

Sometime people miss what in front of them.

LOL

Jets fans are so predictable.

Here's the reality folks. I don't know if you actually watched when Greg played against Arizona. But he actually threw a horrible ball over the middle of the field which got picked off. He literally threw it up for grabs. No reason for it. But yeah, keep that pipe dream going that McElroy is the future for the Jets.

This is the genius you guys are hoping for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1E9VZE6jI
    Last edited by southside; 12-20-2012 at 04:15 PM.

No... Rex will stay with Mcelroy. There are no playoffs to miss anymore so it will be 2 full games of just figuring out if he's worth sticking with longterm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL View Post
    Fair enough but they had 20 million reason to say that. Maybe he wasn't lying just blinded

Let's not forget that Drew Bledsoe signed a 10 year, $100 million dollar contract before Mo Lewis knocked him out. The reason I bring this up is because the Patriots had NO intention of making Brady their starter but here we are 12 years later still paying for that Mo Lewis hit.

Sometime people miss what in front of them.
    I have friends in NE that said Brady looked really good in 01 training camp plus Bledsoe lead the Pats to a 5-11 season in 2000 so I don't buy that no intention of making Brady their starter.. It was just a matter of time, Mo just speeded up the time table.. If they didn't like Brady they wouldn't have gone into the season with just 2 QB's..

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The point of McElroy starting a game is about seeing what he has - period. If he completely sucks, it was still worth starting him for evaluation purposes.

The season is lost. No reason to pull him for anyone else if he struggles.
    Spot on. Let's see what he made of with 8 quarters as a sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    LOL

Jets fans are so predictable.

Here's the reality folks. I don't know if you actually watched when Greg played against Arizona. But he actually threw a horrible ball over the middle of the field which got picked off. He literally threw it up for grabs. No reason for it. But yeah, keep that pipe dream going that McElroy is the future for the Jets.

This is the genius you guys are hoping for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1E9VZE6jI
    Forbid it McElroy grows into the position. Who knows if he going to be a diamond in the rough or a throw away QB. Right now he's the QB of the Jets and I wish him well.

Also, I think that throw in the video at the end of the game. At least there's fight in him.