Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: A question being discussed re McElroy

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I have friends in NE that said Brady looked really good in 01 training camp plus Bledsoe lead the Pats to a 5-11 season in 2000 so I don't buy that no intention of making Brady their starter.. It was just a matter of time, Mo just speeded up the time table.. If they didn't like Brady they wouldn't have gone into the season with just 2 QB's..

    Right, BB said the reason they went with Bledsoe was only based on Bledsoe's experience. BB said Brady looked better in preseason.


    This notion that the Patriots "happened" to have this qb on the roster when Bledsoe went down is complete bullsh!t.

    The Patriots might have lucked into Brady at the draft but they carried 4 active qbs on the roster during 2000. They didn't even put Brady on practice squad because they thought they might lose him. That's the only time BB has ever carried 4 qbs on the roster. Brady was already being considered to take over for Bledsoe going into the 2001 season.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 12-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  2. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    614
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I have friends in NE that said Brady looked really good in 01 training camp plus Bledsoe lead the Pats to a 5-11 season in 2000 so I don't buy that no intention of making Brady their starter.. It was just a matter of time, Mo just speeded up the time table.. If they didn't like Brady they wouldn't have gone into the season with just 2 QB's..
    I am not say they didn't like him, I am saying if the Patriots were looking to eventually replace the Bledsoe w/ Brady they would not have signed him to a 10 year contract between the 2000 and 2001 season.

  3. #43
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL View Post
    I am not say they didn't like him, I am saying if the Patriots were looking to eventually replace the Bledsoe w/ Brady they would not have signed him to a 10 year contract between the 2000 and 2001 season.

    It wasn't that big of a deal. That money wasn't guaranteed so if Brady developed, you still have a pro bowl qb that can be traded. If not, his contract is set. Brady got his shot and the Pats easily moved Bledsoe's contract with their trade to the Bills.

    Remember, that contract was signed in March of 2001. It wasn't until training camp later that year that Brady made his case to beat out Bledsoe. They didn't pull the trigger because of Bledsoe's experience. They knew they had something in Brady that first year. They just didn't know if it would continue to develop or if he would level off. By the end of training camp in 2001, they felt Brady was Bledsoe's successor.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 12-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.

  4. #44
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Technically, he was only a seventh round pick because his arm strength is terrible plus he has proven to be traitorous rat, therefore he should not even be allowed to be in the NFL. He should be immediately water boarded, then drawn and quartered if he throws a pick.

    (or some posters say)

  5. #45
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    614
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    It wasn't that big of a deal. That money wasn't guaranteed so if Brady developed, you still have a pro bowl qb that can be traded. If not, his contract is set. Brady got his shot and the Pats easily moved Bledsoe's contract with their trade to the Bills.

    Remember, that contract was signed in March of 2001. It wasn't until training camp later that year that Brady made his case to beat out Bledsoe. They didn't pull the trigger because of Bledsoe's experience. They knew they had something in Brady that first year. They just didn't know if it would continue to develop or if he would level off.
    That's my point. Had they known Brady would have challenged Bledsoe in training camp they would not have signed him to the contract they did.

    Now I am not disagreeing with anyone as to whether the Patriots FO in training camp took notice.

    I am just trying to say with the contract extension of Sanchez and the aquistion of Tebow maybe the Jets FO and staff might have been blinded or reluctant to let McElroy to get a shot.

    Either way the only way to find out what McElroy has is to let him play.
    Last edited by JetzIL; 12-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy is a seventh round 2nd year QB.

    His leash will be massive. So large in fact that he may have to get hurt to be yanked.

    In the case that is injured, then we'd probably get Sanchez. And we'd quickly find out if Met Life could be vibrated to pieces by boos.

    Let's be serious here, though:

    We're looking at a game plan based around MAYBE 20 throws total. Even if they are getting their ass kicked.

    I fully expect that McElroy will at least pull off what Sanchez has been supposed to do.

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL View Post
    That's my point. Had they known Brady would have challenged Bledsoe in training camp they would not have signed him to the contract they did.

    Now I am not disagreeing with anyone as to whether the Patriots FO in training camp took notice.

    I am just trying to say with the contract extension of Sanchez and the aquistion of Tebow maybe the Jets FO and staff might have been blinded or reluctant to let McElroy to get a shot.

    Either way the only way to find out what McElroy has is to let him play.

    IMO, the front office gambled with Sanchez by giving him this last contract. It was to make up for flirting with Manning and they shouldn't have tied up that much into him because you weren't sure where he was headed.

    Tebow was just a complete cluster-fvck as we say in the military. That was a huge miscalculation.


    I don't disagree with what you say. I just don't know why they carried Tebow as the second stringer this whole time instead of being straight with the guy. It seams the only reason was to give him an active roster spot for punt blocker. That's what complicated the McElroy starting thing. They had a guilty conscious about Tebow and knew they didn't really consider him a backup...

    I'm surprised at the mismanagement of the entire qb situation. It really reflects badly on them.

  8. #48
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    614
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    IMO, the front office gambled with Sanchez by giving him this last contract. It was to make up for flirting with Manning and they shouldn't have tied up that much into him because you weren't sure where he was headed.

    Tebow was just a complete cluster-fvck as we say in the military. That was a huge miscalculation.


    I don't disagree with what you say. I just don't know why they carried Tebow as the second stringer this whole time instead of being straight with the guy. It seams the only reason was to give him an active roster spot for punt blocker. That's what complicated the McElroy starting thing. They had a guilty conscious about Tebow and knew they didn't really consider him a backup...

    I'm surprised at the mismanagement of the entire qb situation. It really reflects badly on them.
    +1 on the first two paragraphs.

    As far as mismanaging the situation...I'm not. The Jets have the remarkable ability to totally screw the pooch.

    That reminds me and I have to say it, McElroy is a better QB then Tebow and he should get this opportunity.

    Hats off to you for serving our country also!!!

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    You play the kid to SEE WHAT WE HAVE in him.....It's a 'Sink or Swim' situation.


    McElroy should get the final two games for us to better understand if he at least can be a viable backup to whatever QB we acquire/draft.


    Also, McElroy WON'T stink up the joint because he'll at least have Braylon(who is an actual LEGIT WR unlike the JAG-Patrol of Gates/Schillens/Gilyard) to throw to.

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. You've got nothing to lose by playing McElroy. He might get eaten up but at this point, see what he's got and get him some experience.

  11. #51
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    IMO, the front office gambled with Sanchez by giving him this last contract. It was to make up for flirting with Manning and they shouldn't have tied up that much into him because you weren't sure where he was headed.
    The person(s) responsible for extending Sanchez (a completely unnecessary decision with little upside and tremendous downside) should be fired. Period.

    It wasn't a gamble. When you gamble, you are hoping for a huge reward. The extension was appeasement, not a gamble.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The person(s) responsible for extending Sanchez (a completely unnecessary decision with little upside and tremendous downside) should be fired. Period.

    It wasn't a gamble. When you gamble, you are hoping for a huge reward. The extension was appeasement, not a gamble.
    If the Jets can unload Sanchez to some team, it will be bigger than the Red Sox unloading their trash on LA.

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like to point out that, GMac got very little preseason time and almost no time at all with the starters When he was put into the Arz game, again with very little practice time with the first unit.
    I am certainly not saying he is the second coming from Alabama, but I think it's unfair also to prejudge the kid without seeing what he can and cannot do. All this crap about his lack of arm and his bad pass( one pass) and many here are all to willing to dismiss this kid to the scrap heap.
    Personally I am excited to see how he handles the team with all the snaps during the week and the starting job given to h on Sunday.

  14. #54
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    We keep sanchez whether it starter or bench until we get something better . No giving up picks , we need more than QB.
    You cannot go b y az game to judge McElroy , they stink too

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by donick-jets; 12-20-2012 at 10:03 PM.

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL this just came to me: This might be Sparano's early christmas gift.

    Now he can finally run the wildcat as often as he'd like, and he has a game-managing, smart, turnover-conscious QB to come in and make little dumpoffs and occasionally go deep.

    It's exactly what he had in Miami! Dear lord I hope these last two games with Mac don't give Sparano the excuse he needs to not be fired this offseason...

  16. #56
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I agree. You've got nothing to lose by playing McElroy. He might get eaten up but at this point, see what he's got and get him some experience.
    Agreed, besides...I just changed my avatar.

  17. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    McElroy is a seventh round 2nd year QB.

    His leash will be massive. So large in fact that he may have to get hurt to be yanked.

    In the case that is injured, then we'd probably get Sanchez. And we'd quickly find out if Met Life could be vibrated to pieces by boos.

    Let's be serious here, though:

    We're looking at a game plan based around MAYBE 20 throws total. Even if they are getting their ass kicked.

    I fully expect that McElroy will at least pull off what Sanchez has been supposed to do.
    while i agree this is whats coming, i sincerely hope that Mac is given at least 35 passes called. to prepare for the offseason and 2013 you gotta know what you have. we won't know what we have with him throwing 20 balls.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    LOL this just came to me: This might be Sparano's early christmas gift.

    Now he can finally run the wildcat as often as he'd like, and he has a game-managing, smart, turnover-conscious QB to come in and make little dumpoffs and occasionally go deep.

    It's exactly what he had in Miami! Dear lord I hope these last two games with Mac don't give Sparano the excuse he needs to not be fired this offseason...
    Guess they would have Kerley or someone else doing that as I don't see the coaching staff putting Tebow back on the field again. Too big a chance for them to look stupid.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McElroy is no better than Sanchez then you can expect to see Michael Vick in a Jets uniform next season and Mark Sanchez in an Eagles uniform. The Jets will pull a trade with the Eagles where Philly can dump Vicks salary ($17 million) and pick up Sanchez salary ($8.25 million). Saves Philly money, gets rid of Vick, Jets get rid of Sanchez, everybody's happy.


    Well maybe not everyone's happy, but at least everyone's relieved... Well maybe not relieved, but at least everyone's not going to have to watch Sanchez again.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    If McElroy is no better than Sanchez then you can expect to see Michael Vick in a Jets uniform next season and Mark Sanchez in an Eagles uniform. The Jets will pull a trade with the Eagles where Philly can dump Vicks salary ($17 million) and pick up Sanchez salary ($8.25 million). Saves Philly money, gets rid of Vick, Jets get rid of Sanchez, everybody's happy.


    Well maybe not everyone's happy, but at least everyone's relieved... Well maybe not relieved, but at least everyone's not going to have to watch Sanchez again.
    Why would the Eagles trade Vick? Cutting him this year would have cost them $5M, but if they just wait for the league year to end, they save $10M by cutting him. And they already have $22M in cap space right now. Only $3M of his base salary is guaranteed for next year, plus the remaining balance from the prorated bonus.


    The NFL is not a league where you trade players for players. If you're doing things correctly, you're able to cut players that you don't want. You don't swap garbage for garbage like teams do in the NBA (where all of the contracts are guaranteed).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us