Thread: Hypothetical: New Coach...Rex to DOC

Hypothetical: New Coach...Rex to DOC

Has there ever been a situation where a head coach lost his head coaching job but then became a coordinator on the same team?

I cannot find an example.

But for the Jets, it might make sense.

Say on Black Monday, the Jets fire Tanny Rex and the entire staff, which they should.

After they hire a new GM (hopefully off GB or Pitt tree) and new head coach (offensive background please) I think that it should be encouraged to interview Rex as DC.

If Rex gets fired he will likely never be HC again. But as he has again proven this year he is a terrific defensive coordinator. He will get a DOC position.

Do you think it is at all possible to redo the coaching staff, but keep Rex as defensive coordinator?

Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Has there ever been a situation where a head coach lost his head coaching job but then became a coordinator on the same team?

Say on Black Monday, the Jets fire Tanny Rex and the entire staff, which they should.

After they hire a new GM (hopefully off GB or Pitt tree) and new head coach (offensive background please) I think that it should be encouraged to interview Rex as DC.

If Rex gets fired he will likely never be HC again. But as he has again proven this year he is a terrific defensive coordinator. He will get a DOC position.

Do you think it is at all possible to redo the coaching staff, but keep Rex as defensive coordinator?
    The only one I can think of that's remotely close is Gunther Cunningham in KC. He was a HC up to 2000 but then came back to KC in 2004 as a DC. I've never seen a HC actually get demoted from HC to DC the very next season.

Rex's pride alone won't allow for a demotion.

Either he stays as a HC here, or he's gone. There's no in-between.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

I can't think of any time that has happened especially in the NFL. Also, Rex would gladly take his talents elsewhere as he's probably one of the top 1-2 DC's in the league. He' paid like a NFL coach at 3m a year so I doubt you downgrade him to DC without him wanting that same 3m a year contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

not a chance, take a demotion on the same team . he would lose total respect from his players & he would never be offered a head coaching job again in the NFL

Stupid. Never happen. Talk about dividing a locker room. It will be Rex's guys vs the new HCs guys.

All Pro
    Not a chance. If Rex stays, it will be as the H.C.

Best hope in that scenario is that a proven OC with HC experience (e.g. Norv Turner) is brought in to essentially be HC on that side of the ball.

Kind of like the 80s Bears, who basically had Ditka as OHC and Buddy as DHC. Worked for them, though with some rough moments.

No no no no no! Absolutely not!

Keeping Rex on the coaching staff would undermine the new HC, not to mention split the locker room apart.

If the Jets decide that they don't want Rex as their coach anymore, he must be removed from the organization immediately.

Fire Rex! Can't wait!

Another day in JI Paradise.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets already do this in the front office. Bradway was demoted for Tanny, and now people want Tanny demoted for another GM. Good, successful organizations do not demote, they get rid of and move on. Only a dysfunctional company demotes people when they are not getting the job done. If someone is not capable of doing their job, then they must leave the organization.

No.. Rex would never take that and nor should he.

Just get the guy a QB. He's a good coach.

Department of Corrections?

I mean I know it's been a rough season, but he's not a criminal.