Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Norv Interested in the JETS ?

Hall Of Fame
    The best thing the Jets have going for them is that if Rex remains the coach Norv knows Rex will let him do whatever he wants. Rex doesn't care about offense. And I think he is going to give up on the "ground and pound" BS.

They could be like Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan. Let Norv handle everything on offense and Rex can eat twinkies and stay in defensive meetings all day.

But the key to making this work will be a GM who can bring in some talent for Norv to work with. I don't care how talented of a play designer/caller Norv is, if he doesn't have a QB he will not have success.

I love how people are yelling to fire Sparano but give Rex a free pass.
    Why?
    Sparano had no talent to work with. Isnt this the same excuse people give for Rex?
    If you think Sparano should be fired how the hell can yo not also want Rex fired?

Answer: Rexs personality. Hes a likeable guy and you dont want to see him fired

Can I get a link on these original quotes?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Why?
    Sparano had no talent to work with. Isnt this the same excuse people give for Rex?
    If you think Sparano should be fired how the hell can yo not also want Rex fired?

We've had a Top 10 Defense (statistically speaking) for EVERY single year Rex has been here. We've had a bottom feeding offense EVERY year too. Rex is not HC material, but if you bring in Norv or a competent OC, he will only have to focus on defense (his specialty). Rex as HC (DC really) + Norv at OC = a Winning Combination.

Why?

Sparano has no feel for the game, his play calling sucks.

The Jets are ranked 30th in total offense, and the play calling has been mind-numbing. New York is a team without an offensive identity. After 14 games, the Jets still haven't figured out what they do best.

Hiring Sparano in this role was a risky move from the start. He was a head coach in Miami and offensive line coach in Dallas. But the Jets hired him to call plays on offense. Sparano's Miami teams were never offensive powerhouses. There was no indication Sparano could turn the Jets' offense around. His quarterback development has been even worse, as both Sanchez and Tebow regressed on Sparano's watch.

The Jets need to hire a top-level offensive coordinator. Soon-to-be former head coaches like Norv Turner of the San Diego Chargers and Pat Shurmur of the Cleveland Browns should be available. The Jets need someone with a proven track record of developing quarterbacks and successfully calling plays next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why?

It's not just the lack of talent, it's Sparano's silly ass, inept playcalling.

How many times have we ran right up the gut on 1st down this year for little to no gain?

And was there even the least bit of creativeness when it came to Tebow? All we heard throughout the pre-season when we were sucking ass was how we had some tricks up our sleeve and were waiting for the regular season to reveal them. LOL, what a joke.

Sparano was never qualified in the first place. No playcalling experience prior to this year, and it shows. Rex is, or was, just so obsessed with this "ground and pound" bullsh*t that he fell head over heels with Sparano when they met.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Says they promoted their QB coach Jim Caldwell to O-Coordinator, that will keep Flacco pretty happy I would imagine, I don't know much about the guy though.
    NFL Network speculated the minute Cam was fired that Norv wpuld be there next season. IMO, I would have a hard time believing Balt would stick with Caldwell if they had a chance to bring in Norv.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's not just the lack of talent, it's Sparano's silly ass, inept playcalling.

How many times have we ran right up the gut on 1st down this year for little to no gain?

And was there even the least bit of creativeness when it came to Tebow? All we heard throughout the pre-season when we were sucking ass was how we had some tricks up our sleeve and were waiting for the regular season to reveal them. LOL, what a joke.

Sparano was never qualified in the first place. No playcalling experience prior to this year, and it shows. Rex is, or was, just so obsessed with this "ground and pound" bullsh*t that he fell head over heels with Sparano when they met.
    On top of that, the offense just seemed out of sync and unprepared too often this year. That has to fall on the coordinator.

Why?

While I agree Sparano had nothing to work with especially at QB, Norv is a proven offensive commodity & I would love to see what he could put together to take advantage of Macelroys smarts & accuracy.
    Guarantee you that Mac could run a complicated scheme with checks, stretch plays, roll outs ect.
    If Rex stays, we only need to score 21-24 each game to have a winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Sparano has no feel for the game, his play calling sucks.
    Spot on

Last game:
    Sanchez good first drive. Good momentum into 2nd qtr...instead of sticking why has been working, he gives tebow and entire series...
    Downhill from here
    3rd qtr: Sanchez finally completes two passes in a row, feels like offense clicking a bit, being in tebow. Kills momentum.

I know this is an isolated example but that was terrible

We won't get Norv. He is likely going to Carolina. We are going to either stick with Sparano or get another incompetent OC. This is the Jets we are talking about.

Besides, after this season, I really don't think anyone is going to want to come here.

there still may be a 10-20% chance Norv gets a HC job.

All Pro
    Being Rex's OC would be an offensive coordinator's dream job. A HC who cares nothing about offense, is completely hands off and lets you do whatever you want. There should be many good candidates available.

If they got him they would have to give him about 3-4 years to fix the offense. They need a huge infusion of talent at WR, Rb, TE and of course most importantly QB.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Being Rex's OC would be an offensive coordinator's dream job. A HC who cares nothing about offense, is completely hands off and lets you do whatever you want. There should be many good candidates available.
    Yea but if you're in New York and you fail you will get thrown under an 18 wheeler. You better have titanium skin. You have the history of the most snake bitten organization outside of the Mets to fight against. Very few people come here and elevate their careers and not sink it (think Jason Bay).There is more spotlight on the Jets than any football team in this country right now. If you do well you can write your ticket to anywhere.

bingo.. rex had to endure two terrible OC's, a terrible qb, and a terrible GM. Rex could carry MT for defense decisions, Rex called his own shots at drafting and signing D players.. But Rex needs some help with the O. Norv would be HUGE upgrade at OC obviously.. A "offensive minded" gm also would be huge. Get me a gm who knows how to evaluate both sides of the ball great, but atleast a offensive minded gm would help develop the O. Rex has no problem with the D.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

From The San Diego Tribune

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/dec/20/jets-bolts/

There’s wicked irony to the Chargers facing the Jets in the final road game of the Norv Turner Era.

Under coach Rex Ryan, the Jets dealt Turner two of his worst defeats in six seasons as head coach.

Ryan "got in our heads a little bit," said a former Turner aide, Ron Rivera.

Rivera last week was recalling the Jets' upset victory in the 2009 playoffs.

Call it the worst defeat of the Turner Era.

"Probably the biggest heartbreaker" of his four years in San Diego is how Rivera described it.

Antonio Gates has said he believes the ‘09 Chargers would’ve gone to the Super Bowl had they defeated the Jets in the AFC Divisionals.

Instead of moving on to face the Colts in the AFC Championship Game, however, the Chargers gagged.

They lost at home as nine-point favorites to a Jets team quarterbacked by rookie Mark Sanchez.

Turner's Bolts never returned to the postseason after the 17-14 defeat in which Nate Kaeding missed three field goals, Philip Rivers threw two interceptions and the Bolts en masse committed 10 penalties, several of the knucklehead variety.

“It was tough, man,” Gates said after Thursday’s practice.

There would be reports of a few Chargers players staying out late leading up to the playoff game, and of receiver Vincent Jackson being arrested hours before kickoff by a cop who’d pulled him over for loud music, only to discover Jackson, twice convicted of drunken driving, was driving with a suspended license.

Who knew Rex Ryan had friends within the San Diego police.

At least Bolts fans did their part on January 17th, 2010 when Ryan’s team came to San Diego to face a favorite that'd won 11 straight games.

“Man, hooo, that was a hostile crowd to say the least,” Ryan said this week.

The Bolts-Jets rematch in 2011 also produced a stink bomb's fallout, the Chargers losing five consecutive games after the 27-21 defeat in New Jersey.

The Jets were down 21-10 midway through the third quarter. The Chargers, who were one-point favorites on betting lines, never scored in the second half, a sign of the stagnation to come in 2011 and 2012.

The six-game losing streak was the franchise longest’s since 2001.

“Was that game the turning point, I don’t know,” Turner said this week. “In some ways, it was the start of our skid last year.”

The Chargers were coming off a bye before both losses to the Jets.

In both of his outings against Ryan's Jets, Rivers threw two second-half interceptions that were crucial.

Although Rivers said he wasn't flummoxed by Ryan’s top-ranked defense in the playoff defeat, Jets defensive players said the mixtures of zone and man coverages confused the quarterback.

Recalling the ’09 playoffs, Gates grimaced and gave the Jets their due.

“Their defense, they were doing so much exotic stuff,” he said. “They kept us on our heels.”

The Chargers were the NFL's hottest team when Ryan brought his 9-7 team to San Diego. Among their 11 consecutive victories was a road outing against the Jets’ stadium partners, the Giants.

During the week, Ryan attempted to plant a seed of doubt in the collective psyche of the No. 2-seeded Chargers. He said that any team, even one that has won 11 games in row, could have a bad day.

Rivera brought up Ryan’s comment last week when recalling the gray afternoon in which the Bolts erred as they hadn’t for several months.

“That was the game that caught up to us,” Rivera said. “It was almost prophetic because of what Rex Ryan said about how well we played – that maybe (the Jets) will get lucky and catch (the Bolts) on a bad day.”

As a former Bears linebacker for Buddy Ryan, the coordinator of Chicago's infamously intimidating “46” defense, Rivera is familiar with how Buddy and son Rex think.

“That’s a Buddy Ryan-ism, to talk about how good you are and then throw it out there that it would be great to catch you on a bad day," Rivera said. "I think that got into our heads a little bit too. And they did catch us on a bad day.”

Asked this week if he had indulged in gamesmanship, a la his father, Ryan initially said no comment. Then he said: “You know what? There’s a lot of truth to it. But don’t think for a second we didn’t think we couldn’t come in and win. That was the kind of team I had. We thought we could beat anybody.”

The Jets, to be sure, earned the victory. Their defense had no answers for Gates (eight catches, 93 yards) but slowed Rivers and stuffed LaDainian Tomlinson (12 carries, 24 yards).

“They played phenomenally,” Gates said. “They made plays that we were unable to make. They made stops that we were unable to make.”

Rivers was asked this week if the Bolts lost the game, or the Jets won it.

“They won the game,” he said. “I don’t ever buy into that whole ‘we lost’ thing. These are other people out there playing, so they definitely had something to do with it. We had some self-inflicted wounds in that game that hurt, but you can’t take any credit from them. They were a heck of a team.”

Beaten by the Colts the next week, the Jets would reach the AFC Championship game the following year as well.

They went 8-8 last year and are 6-8 going into Sunday's game against the 5-9 Chargers.

Ryan is expected to survive missing the playoffs, whereas Turner is to be fired after the season.

"His resume and his accomplishments speak for themselves," Ryan said. "Obviously he is a tremendous coach. You read his background, and let’s put it this way, it is a hell of a lot more impressive than mine.”