Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 76 of 76

Thread: Why not McElroy??

  1. #61
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    He protects the ball and that will be adequate for this team.
    Precisely.

    The fact that the other two QBs on the roster are turnover machines is what makes them unappealing. If McElroy's ceiling is "Chad Pennington", sign me up. With our defense and run game, all we need is a good caretaker of the ball. Not a guy who leads the league in turnovers, or a guy who led the league in 3-and-outs.

  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    There isn't a Tebow fan on this forum who thinks he's perfect.
    lol.

  3. #63
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,151
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    No actually tebonehead...he played QB something that your adored Timmy cant do.

    And yes I'm a homer...a New York Jet homer....not a Timmy Gomer who only roots for one player and who will never be seen here again at JI in 9 days when you'll follow your loser to the Jaguars or the CFL or the Elite League of India...someplace where Timmy's laughable "passing" skills fit in better

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    One would think that after multiple "vacations" (with cause) that you would eventually get the message that this kind of in your face confrontational BS is irritating to most posters on here.

    Is it possible that you can be an advocate for your positions without coming across as a complete douche?

    As to the topic thread, McElroy is an unknown at this level IMO and at this point we have invested time into him. No harm in a lost season to get a taste of what we have. Not much harm really given the extent of the other problems that we need to dig out from to extend that audition to the 2013 season. Assuming that he shows enough in these last two games.

    If finding a winner in the later rounds is possible at the QB position and I think that it is then I would not be surprised to see us dip into those waters again this draft season.
    Last edited by EM31; 12-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.

  4. #64
    I'm excited to see what McElroy brings to the table in the final two games. He performed well against Arizona in a limited role and he is flat out a winner. The guy lost I think only 4 games in 4 years at Alabama, or something like that. I know that it's Alabama, but still. He's smart, efficient with the football and he has legs to get the heck out of the pocket when it's breaking down. To me he's a Chad Pennington with mobility and I think a franchise could do a lot worse than that.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    ok that's 1 in 92 years, any others?
    how about rich gannon from oakland.

  6. #66
    In a month, there may not be any Tebow fans on this board anymore

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,764
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    In a month, there may not be any Tebow fans on this board anymore
    LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER

  8. #68
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Is there anyone that believes G. McElroy could be our future?..Why can we not just give this guy his shot and see before the speculation of brining in a qb (starter)..I don't know I am just asking, is there a reason why there seems to be no confidence in McElroy and is he expected to be no more than a careerer back-up?..I am not a big college football fan and this is why I am asking this question, I have heard there were arm strength questions, but were there any other concerns with him coming in to the NFL?..
    You can't pin your team's chances on an unproven second year guy with, I presume, 2 starts under his belt. It would be foolish. He was a seventh rounder for a reason. You never know. He could very well work out, but I would not want to take the chance with the team's 2013 season that he doesn't. Bring in an Alex Smith type to compete.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    You can't pin your team's chances on an unproven second year guy with, I presume, 2 starts under his belt. It would be foolish. He was a seventh rounder for a reason. You never know. He could very well work out, but I would not want to take the chance with the team's 2013 season that he doesn't. Bring in an Alex Smith type to compete.
    Sure. And Mark was a first. The reasons can be wrong.

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Sure. And Mark was a first. The reasons can be wrong.
    I did say it might work out. I'm just not comfortable with putting all the Jets' eggs in the McElroy basket with so little to go on. Sanchez might not have worked out, but he was a first round pick and had a top tier defense behind him. McElroy has neither of those going for him. I'm rooting hard for the kid. I'd love to find the answer in house. I just want a plan B.

  11. #71
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,380
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    how about rich gannon from oakland.
    4th round ? no? NO SB win.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 12-21-2012 at 04:08 PM.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    In a month, there may not be any Tebow fans on this board anymore
    Not a Tebow fan ... But I like the kid and hope he gets a chance to play instead of just being washed out of the NFL.

  13. #73
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,872
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    No actually tebonehead...he played QB something that your adored Timmy cant do.

    And yes I'm a homer...a New York Jet homer....not a Timmy Gomer who only roots for one player and who will never be seen here again at JI in 9 days when you'll follow your loser to the Jaguars or the CFL or the Elite League of India...someplace where Timmy's laughable "passing" skills fit in better

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    LOL! Never heard of it till you mentioned it.


  14. #74
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The ZONE, Az
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Are you kidding? We do bring up those things. The point of mentioning the Steelers game was that Tebow was a starter in the NFL and went to the playoffs "more recently" than Sanchez, and has experience that McElroy doesn't have yet in the pros.

    The Patriots game was AWFUL, and Tebow's play sucked that day, but I thought he was even worse against the Lions. It's less humiliating to suck against Brady than Stafford.

    Still, I think the butt-fumble and the Titans travesty were more embarrassing, especially considering those teams are nowhere near the caliber of the Pats or the 2011 Lions.

    There isn't a Tebow fan on this forum who thinks he's perfect. He needs to improve and one way that young QBs learn is by playing in games. What galls me is that Tebow is held to a higher standard than other young QBs. And it hurts terribly that he's done everything asked of him by the Jets, he's been a loyal team player and never trashed a teammate or coach, but fans still hate him and Rex Ryan refuses to give him a chance even when the rest of the season is irrelevant.

    hahahahaha ok, ok....that's it....I read far enough.

  15. #75
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,310
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Just because he made Teblow look like the embarrassment he is in the Championship game that mattered is no reason to feel bad.

    Your revered savior Timmy probably put up nice numbers against Louisiana Lafayette. Alcorn State and Liberty Baptist

    But when he played McElroy and Bama for the title there was one QB on the field and one JOKE.

    Watch the whole game. It's on youtube...2009 SEC Championship...

    The video does not lie

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Tebow was heavily concussed earlier that season against Kentucky, even missing a game. He was not the same quarterback after that, any knowledgeable college fan could see that. I would especially know because it was my freshman year at Florida.

    That Alabama defense was one of the best ALL TIME defenses. And your argument that he put up big numbers against nobodies, yeah guess what EVERYONE plays scrub colleges like Louisiana Lafayette and Charleston Southern.

    Tebow was 1000x the player McElroy was in college. However, do I think GMac could become a decent caliber NFL QB? Why not. He needs to bulk up a bit for sure, but he has the knowledge, patience, and leadership to certainly command an NFL offense.

  16. #76
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Fl
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    In a month, there may not be any Tebow fans on this board anymore
    Thank God....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us