Thread: Norv? Really? Be careful what you wish for

Norv? Really? Be careful what you wish for

First of all, this idea that Norv Turner was some "elite" offensive coordinator is ridiculous. Remember that those Cowboy teams had perhaps the best offensive line of all time, along with HOFers at QB, WR and RB. Norv didn't screw it up, I'll say that much. But Brian Schottenheimer would have won 3 SBs with those teams. But look what Norv did to Philip Rivers. The guy is a shell of himself.

I remember last offseason hearing everyone say, "Sure, Sparano was a terrible head coach, but that is irrelevant. He is a great coordinator. He invented the Wildcat!"

And here is the important point: if Norv is here next year, as the OC for Rex, and this team underachieves again (which it will), Rex will be fired and guess who will be standing right there as the #1 candidate to replace Rex as HC? It will be oh so easy and convenient for Woody to elevate a guy who, on paper, won't look so bad (those Charger teams did win a lot of games). Maybe he just needed a change of scenery, all the "experts" (read: Gary Myers) will say. And then you will all regret ever wanting him here in the first place.

Granted, Norv is perfect for the franchise that has employed such offensive geniuses as Kotite, Walton, Coslet, Hackett, et al. But if you want to re-live that kind of history, good luck with that. No thank you.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Who is Norv working with?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    First of all, this idea that Norv Turner was some "elite" offensive coordinator is ridiculous. Remember that those Cowboy teams had perhaps the best offensive line of all time, along with HOFers at QB, WR and RB. Norv didn't screw it up, I'll say that much. But Brian Schottenheimer would have won 3 SBs with those teams. But look what Norv did to Philip Rivers. The guy is a shell of himself.

I remember last offseason hearing everyone say, "Sure, Sparano was a terrible head coach, but that is irrelevant. He is a great coordinator. He invented the Wildcat!"

And here is the important point: if Norv is here next year, as the OC for Rex, and this team underachieves again (which it will), Rex will be fired and guess who will be standing right there as the #1 candidate to replace Rex as HC? It will be oh so easy and convenient for Woody to elevate a guy who, on paper, won't look so bad (those Charger teams did win a lot of games). Maybe he just needed a change of scenery, all the "experts" (read: Gary Myers) will say. And then you will all regret ever wanting him here in the first place.

Granted, Norv is perfect for the franchise that has employed such offensive geniuses as Kotite, Walton, Coslet, Hackett, et al. But if you want to re-live that kind of history, good luck with that. No thank you.
    VERY FAIR post. But, the JETS post HESS are really all that is relevant. The pre Woody comparisons aren't valid.

+1....In addition, during his San Diego tenure, Norv's "player-friendly" attitude has resulted in soft,underachieving teams.....

Quote Originally Posted by jifan View Post
    +1....In addition, during his San Diego tenure, Norv's "player-friendly" attitude has resulted in soft,underachieving teams.....
    So you want more of a tough coach like Sparano? How'd that work out for us?

Norv is a huge improvement over Sparano. And NO, if the Jets suck again next year Norv won't be standing their to take over. Why? Because the Jets defense will be really good again next year (Revis back). If the Jets are bad again next year, it will most likely be because of the offense again thereby nullifying any chance Norv takes over.

Doesn't it mean SOMETHING that the SD offense has been top 10 in scoring 5 times since 2007 when he started? Or is that just all on Phillip Rivers?

Jets Insider VIP
    He's been a successful offensive mind everywhere he has been.

He was the guy who originally had Alex Smith playing above his head before Harbaugh arrived.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Easily my #1 choice to replace Sparano.

Guy runs a balanced approach catered to his players strengths and has a knack for developing young QB's.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

He was the guy who originally had Alex Smith playing above his head before Harbaugh arrived.

Guy runs a balanced approach catered to his players strengths and has a knack for developing young QB's.
    THIS.

Norv >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sprano/Schitty/Hackett/the rest of the JETS OC nobodies

Hall Of Fame
    Norv is widely regarded as one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. He just isn't suited to be a HC. And he has had plenty of very good offenses since he left the Cowboys.

He is a proven commodity and we would be luck to have him.

That said, if we don't improve our talent on offense it doesn't matter if Jesus is coaching them. We will need a competent QB no matter who the OC is. And I would like a veteran receiver that can stretch the field so Holmes can work underneath. Can't bank on Hill being that guy next year although I do think Norv will be good for him too.

I'll take my chances with him..

He is a proven offensive coordinator..

I was impressed with him when he was in our division with the Dolphins..

As retreads go I think he is good...

He is a good enough Offensive Coordinator to keep getting offered head coaching jobs because of those skills right??

Whoever said Sparano invented the Wildcat is an idiot. He didn't even introduce it in the NFL. Dan Henning ran it under John Fox when he ran it with Deangelo Williams in late 2006 after the Panthers were down to having to play Chris Weinke at QB. Then he became the offensive coordinator under Sparano for the Dolphins and ran it there as well.

Oh and Norv sucks.

+1. I would sign up for Norv developing a young Ryan Nassib next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    +1. I would sign up for Norv developing a young Ryan Nassib next year.
    I dont think there is a lot to argue about when you look at norvs history as an OC, but that is the past. The question is whether or not he is a good OC for the future.

Look at his SD teams....tall receivers in VJax and floyd, lot of TE (easy choice when you have gates), and power running. That isnt todays NFL.

We need an OC that "grew up" with the spread offense, and who can implement what the redskins are doing with RG (albeit on a smaller scale since he is a true running QB) by using read option plays.

Whether or not Norv is an upgrade over the disgrace of an OC/QB coach we have now isnt really up for debate, of course he is. But is he the best long term OC that we can hire?

Personally I feel he is just another NFL retread (talented but still been around a long time) who runs the same offense the NFL has been running for years. He has zero experience with the spread and with all the talent on offense that SD had, was never really able to get over the hump.

One side note about sparano and the "wildcat". If you look at the plays we run with tebow, all we do is run him into the line or off tackle, the exact same plays that sparano used with ronnie brown in miami. Well, that ISNT WHAT TEBOW DID OR DOES, he ran a read-option offense in Denver which makes the sparano hire all the more insane as he had no clue how to run that offense. If we wanted to find a "wildcat QB" to run into the line 20 times a year, we probably could have found one without trading a 4th round pick.

No Friggin way!!!

Why as a fan would you want another teams failures. Turner is done. The only way for this team to move forward, is to bring in a young new coaches. Guys like Turner, Gruden and Cowher are all done. That's why they are on T.V., Turner will be next.

Jets Insider VIP
    Norv. No

Ryan Nasseeb???

We don't need a new bust

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Norv would elevate this Jet offense immediately upon his arrival. No longer a head coach he would be able to concentrate on his trade and he is good at his trade - better than any other alternative. Norv would pine for the players he needs to make our offense successful. He wouldn't bring in a Tebow. Maybe he brings Gates with him - is Gates a free agent? Norv is a perfect match for the Jets. Rex can concentrate on his defense and Norv the offense. I don't know how Sparano slinkied his way on the Jets as a offensive coordinator - I think he came to the Jets when they were their weakest and needed some authority on offense but Sparano is a one and done O- coordinator. Norv is the perfect complement to Rex. Also Norv is a players coach. He might be able to atract some free agents that the Jets wouldn't normally get. I vote for Norv but anyone over Sparano is an upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    THIS.

Norv >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sprano/Schitty/Hackett/the rest of the JETS OC nobodies

Agreed. I wouldn't want Leatherneck as my head coach, but OC is a different story. Light years ahead of Shoddy & Sunglasses.

Re:norvs time with chargers
    Norv has made lemonade out of lemons
    Their top WR is someone that they literally got of the streets mid season
    Mathews is made of glass
    Gates is a former shadow of himself

They have released every talented skill player...sproles, tobert, lt, Vincent Jackson

AJ smith sucks! Not Norv

Now I don't think he's the savior o the jets but he's better than tony