Thread: The Big Picture

The Big Picture

Let's face a simple fact. Next year is not the year that this team will win the Superbowl. With that being said, if we suck it up and get rid of the bad contracts next year (and the following year if necessary) our future commitments going into 2015 and beyond are not bad at all.

First we have to take some pain this year to clear future cap space and get some much needed closure:

Cuts 2013 - Dead Money $36,781,669
    Mark Sanchez $17,153,125
    Santonio Holmes $11,250,000
    Calvin Pace $3,013,355
    Sione Pouha $2,333,334
    Tim Tebow $1,531,875
    Bart Scott $1,500,000
    Jason Smith $0

Commitments 2017 - one player under contract $9,075,000
    Nick Mangold $9,075,000

Commitments 2016 - two players under contract $22,625,000
    Debrickshaw Fergeson $13,025,000
    Nick Mangold $8,600,000

Commitments 2015 - seven players under contract $37,072,916
    Debrickshaw Fergeson $12,825,000
    Nick Mangold $10,407,100
    Derell Revis $6,000,000 (he will opt out)
    Quinton Coples $2,800,890
    Stephen Hill $1,499,381
    Demario Davis $854,490
    Josh Bush $686,055

As you can see there are no bad contracts after the 2014 season is over if we make the necessary cuts now. We won't have much money for free agents and we are sure to lose a lot of games but the sacrifice will be well worth it.

The only priorities in free agency this year are Mike Devito, Laron Landry, and possibly Yeremiah Bell. I would spread some of the pain into 2014 if it means keeping these three players but the sooner we take our medicine, the sooner we compete.

Once we get rid of the bad contracts we can focus on keeping the players that we want to keep. At the end of 2013 we will get a high draft pick and have money to fill a couple holes in free agency and to extend our core players.

All League
    Not sure how this works, so someone help me, but if we traded Tebow instead of cutting him, don't we save the cap space?

Last I checked, the Jacksonville owner really wanted him. Why not trade him for a late round pick? Will it save cap room? Even if it doesn't, we'd pick up another pick instead of just cutting him.

At some point we have to take a LOT of pain and we may as well just endure it all all at once.

As I understand our salary situation, we are basically going to pay a heavy price for our two AFC Championship appearances. We had a pretty stacked team but used salary maneuvering to not have to pay for it and now in the next couple years we're going to have to pay the piper.

This is why I say fire everyone.

All League
    I agree with most but if Rex is still the coach we are not cutting Sanchez and Holmes. Also, we need to resign at least one of the guards, if not both. The FAs on the line are Slauson, Moore, Howard (RFA) and after being a cap casualty, J. Smith.

We are probably looking for 3 OLBs (both starters) and you just cannot replace all of these starters in one draft. Remember, a good draft can find you two immediate starters. Expecting to find 2 guards, 2 OLBs, and perhaps one or both safeties would naive. All this and we still haven't done anything to upgrade QB, RB, TE.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Not sure how this works, so someone help me, but if we traded Tebow instead of cutting him, don't we save the cap space?

Last I checked, the Jacksonville owner really wanted him. Why not trade him for a late round pick? Will it save cap room? Even if it doesn't, we'd pick up another pick instead of just cutting him.
    They may be as his contract is complicated in that he got an advance that did not account towards the cap. Remember that he jets had to pay the Broncos some money last year to complete the trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mr Khan is not stupid

He knows we have to cut this bust

And he knows no other team without Stevie Wonder as GM wants the bust either.

He waits and picks him up to sell seats to his cult for nothing and min salary

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I agree with most but if Rex is still the coach we are not cutting Sanchez and Holmes. Also, we need to resign at least one of the guards, if not both. The FAs on the line are Slauson, Moore, Howard (RFA) and after being a cap casualty, J. Smith.

We are probably looking for 3 OLBs (both starters) and you just cannot replace all of these starters in one draft. Remember, a good draft can find you two immediate starters. Expecting to find 2 guards, 2 OLBs, and perhaps one or both safeties would naive. All this and we still haven't done anything to upgrade QB, RB, TE.
    You are missing the point. You are trying to fill all the holes in a half assed effort to compete next year.

I say screw next year and take our medicine now to get out of cap hell.

Howard is an RFA and could be good for depth if we draft his replacement but both guards are expendable.