Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Pettine wont return next year

Can't blame the guy, while I'm sure he's learned a ton from Rex it's about time for him to step out of that shadow. No matter how good the D plays it will always be Rex's defense and I think at some point Pettine needs to make his own mark. I agree with the sentiment that he may have a college job lined up.

Jets Insider VIP
    How is Pettine "turning down" a contract extension a sign of Rex losing his job? The turning down part implies the Jets offered him an extension. If they had any thoughts of changing their HC they wouldn't offer his hand picked defensive coordinator an extension. I think this is a sign they plan on bringing back Rex.
    This makes sense. Oh this is awful news. Another year of this clueless buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You're in fantasy land.

If you think that should be done then fine, but it's just not going to happen so it's not worth talking about.
    I'll go on record that Tanny will be fired first, then a new GM will be hired. After that, he'll put his personnel in place after dismissing Rex and crew.
    We'll see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll go on record that Tanny will be fired first, then a new GM will be hired. After that, he'll put his personnel in place after dismissing Rex and crew.
    We'll see how it plays out.
    From you lips to God's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    From you lips to God's ears.
    I'd do cartwheels. Like most people, I'm so done with Rex and the clown act.

Veteran
    He will probably be in consideration for HC openings. Offering him an extension actually shows Rex's job is safe as a new coach would bring in a new DC

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that Rex is also heading out the door
    Seems like exactly the opposite. Why would they offer him an extension if Rex wasn't coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Tony Sparano.

SAR I
    Bart Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    He will probably be in consideration for HC openings. Offering him an extension actually shows Rex's job is safe as a new coach would bring in a new DC
    Not sure about him as an NFL HC candidate but you're dead on about Rex's job being safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Candidates for new DC?
    If Rex stays DThurman or Rob Ryan. LOL
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Rex is not staying. Pettine knows it. Mike does not want to be here under a new HC.
    (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has turned down a contract extension, per source. Not signed after end of this season. #nyj
    I'm sure we can lose without him.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Rex is not staying. Pettine knows it. Mike does not want to be here under a new HC.
    (I hope)
    Then why offer the extension?

Although the management of this team is SUCH a mess as they seem to regularly offer people contracts a look to get rid of them in less than a year.

All League
    Goodbye Rex.

SAR I
    Yeah I agree, I would say that they offered the DC because REX is still the coach. If they had plans on firing REX a new coach would want his own guys.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    It'll be internal.

This is Rex's defense. He wants someone like Pettine who knows his D and his style, and can translate it to the players. Rex is still going to call the sets on D.

Edit: At least, that's what I'm hoping for. Practically speaking, the only thing that doesn't need much changing is the defense. Hopefully Sparano has already been put on notice.
    What defense does not need changing, the one whose 11 players consist of 4 FA and 3 cap mandated cuts? That the one doesn't need changing?

To me this means one of two things:

A. Pettine wants to escape Ryan's shadow and prove himself on his own.

or

B. He doesn't want to stick around to be a Defensive Coordinator for an unknown HC, immediately being passed over and not considered for the job.

Either way, I really don't care. We all know who runs that defense and it's not Pettine.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    No, hello Rob.
    interesting thought.

Seriously...If Mehta is right (and he may be making this up) but if he's right that Pettine was offered a contract.

The decision has already been made that Rex is coming back and if that's the case the decision has already been made that Tanny is coming back.

The pool of potential GM candidates would be drastically shrunk if they are told they have to keep Rex as the HC.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Then why offer the extension?

Although the management of this team is SUCH a mess as they seem to regularly offer people contracts a look to get rid of them in less than a year.
    The Jets want him to stay. He wants to follow Wrecks, again. At least that is whatI am hoping.

Tony Sparano.

SAR I
    Haha, talk about a man who knows how to stop an offense!