Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 94

Thread: Mike Pettine wont return next year

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    How is Pettine "turning down" a contract extension a sign of Rex losing his job? The turning down part implies the Jets offered him an extension. If they had any thoughts of changing their HC they wouldn't offer his hand picked defensive coordinator an extension. I think this is a sign they plan on bringing back Rex.
    It could be a sign of Tannenbaum trying to save his job by extending coaches making it difficult to move from Rex. That said, I get the vibe that Woody like San Diego did with Smith and Turner last year, will give Rex and Tannendork one more year which sucks.

  2. #62
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Yes, but why would Pettine be offered a new contract at all if a total regime change is imminent?

    It looks to me that this means Rex is staying, but like Callahan last year who made a lateral move to escape Rex's zoo, Pettine is just trying to get out while his reputation is still somewhat intact...
    Tannenbaum has done this before. When he knows the head coach is leaving and he wants to retain one side of the ball over another. He did this when Mangini left, he extended and kept Schottenheimer even though the HC job was about to be vacant.

    If Mike offered an extension to Pettine yesterday, it leads me to believe that he is trying to retain all of Ryan's staff so that we have consistently decent play on the defensive side of the ball. Then his plan is to go out and hire an offensive minded head coach to help us on that side of the ball.

    It's the inverse of the Edwards and Mangini situations. He feels our defensive staff is top notch, go hire an offensive guru as HC and blow up that staff.

    SAR I

  3. #63
    Step one. Bye Rex.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,274
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    He does nothing, why do they need him. When he calls the D, the D sucks. This is what is wrong with this entire team. Rex likes you and you get paid, regardless of your production or lack of. This may be a sign that they are changing from this mindset. Rex really needs to wake up.
    The Tuna did the same thing..

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

    It's the inverse of the Edwards and Mangini situations. He feels our defensive staff is top notch, go hire an offensive guru as HC and blow up that staff.

    SAR I
    only problem is that the defense is no longer top notch without Rex

  6. #66
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    only problem is that the defense is no longer top notch without Rex
    Hey, I am just theorizing what's going through Mike's head, not necessarily any semblance in reality.

    SAR I

  7. #67
    Pettine is another of the incompetents that Rex sticks with so I do hope he leaves. The key is getting rid of Rex, but the guy has seduced Woody so I doubt that happens. Another year of floundering is ahead.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    only problem is that the defense is no longer top notch without Rex
    Not really top notch now.

  9. #69
    Some of you are reading into this too much. Odds are Rex is back next year, Pettine has a college HC job in the works, and it's the offense (QB, OC and hopefully RB) that will get an overhaul.

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    How is Pettine "turning down" a contract extension a sign of Rex losing his job? The turning down part implies the Jets offered him an extension. If they had any thoughts of changing their HC they wouldn't offer his hand picked defensive coordinator an extension. I think this is a sign they plan on bringing back Rex.
    Thank you. My thoughts exactly. Pettine turned it down. The Jets did not take the extension offer back.

  11. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mike stays.
    Rex goes.
    Mark starts.

    Those are my predictions.

    SAR I

    More likely:

    Mike gets demoted
    Cohen gets promoted
    Rex stays, but has short leash
    Sparano goes
    Mark gets traded for a bag of cashews

  12. #72
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,769
    Interesting.

    I think he wants to distance himself from this team.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that Rex is also heading out the door

    I doubt it. Probably the opposite. Pettine probably heard Tanny isn't going anywhere and he decided to abandon the sinking ship. Bad for us, but good for him.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has turned down a contract extension, per source. Not signed after end of this season. #nyj
    great news!

  15. #75
    Apparently this contract extension was offered earlier on in the season.

    When did it happen? After Buffalo? After Miami? After St. Louis? After Arizona? When?

    Rex could still be canned.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Tannenbaum has done this before. When he knows the head coach is leaving and he wants to retain one side of the ball over another. He did this when Mangini left, he extended and kept Schottenheimer even though the HC job was about to be vacant.

    If Mike offered an extension to Pettine yesterday, it leads me to believe that he is trying to retain all of Ryan's staff so that we have consistently decent play on the defensive side of the ball. Then his plan is to go out and hire an offensive minded head coach to help us on that side of the ball.

    It's the inverse of the Edwards and Mangini situations. He feels our defensive staff is top notch, go hire an offensive guru as HC and blow up that staff.

    SAR I
    So by this rationale Norv Turner will be our next HC. NOOOOOOOOOO

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    So by this rationale Norv Turner will be our next HC. NOOOOOOOOOO
    if rex is canned woody will go big name for headlines......... gruden or cowher.

  18. #78
    If Rex had any sort of competent QB play he most likely goes 10-6 last year and at least would have got 9 this year. I wonder if everybody would want him gone then.

    Rex gets one more year. The problem is not Rex, the problem was behind center and up in the press box.

    So big deal Pettines gone. Hey maybe Rob comes and joins his bro in New York, then that will get everyone to jump ship.

    He has to be given a chance with a new guy under center. If he pulls out the last 2 this year, He has never had a losing season. I know you all can not tell me if he had better QB play, that he would not have found 2 more wins last year.

    He cant get on the field and have Hill catch the ball in NE or stop Sanchez from running in to Moore's butt.

    He was stuck playing Sanchez due to his contract. The Tebow situation did not make it any easier for Rex, because if he benches Mark he would have had to play Tebow earlier in the season. Now that it is over, He can start MAC without any worries.

    Rex stays, get rid of Tannenbaum, Escalate someone from within the organization who knows the game of football to take over as GM. Maybe the ball boys. Anyone can do a better job than the Tannenbaum.
    Last edited by Suffering; 12-21-2012 at 05:28 PM.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffering View Post
    If Rex had any sort of competent QB play he most likely goes 10-6 last year and at least would have got 9 this year. I wonder if everybody would want him gone then.

    Rex gets one more year. The problem is not Rex, the problem was behind center and up in the press box.

    So big deal Pettines gone. Hey maybe Rob comes and joins his bro in New York, then that will get everyone to jump ship.

    He has to be given a chance with a new guy under center. If he pulls out the last 2 this year, He has never had a losing season. I know you all can not tell me if he had better QB play, that he would not have found 2 more wins last year.

    He cant get on the field and have Hill catch the ball in NE or stop Sanchez from running in to Moore's ass.

    He was stuck playing Sanchez due to his contract. The Tebow situation did not make it any easier for Rex, because if he benches Mark he would have had to play Tebow earlier in the season. Now that it is over, He can start MAC without any worries.

    Rex stays, get rid of Tannenbaum, Escalate someone from within the organization who knows the game of football to take over as GM. Maybe the ball boys. Anyone can do a better job than the Tannenbaum.
    i totally disagree rex continually started the worst qb in the nfl week after week and defended his decision after each and every loss.

    rex coached himself out of job.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i totally disagree rex continually started the worst qb in the nfl week after week and defended his decision after each and every loss.

    rex coached himself out of job.
    No choice when the number 2 is not a QB and the number 1 has a ton of money tied up. Hands were tied.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us