Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mike Pettine wont return next year

Too many are reading way too much into this.

This is biz, and the Jets are in the decline with the potential of regime change and rebuilding. The Defense was not the problem with this team. If he takes the option it shows desperation with the potential of hard times.

He had to decline.

If the the Jets want him, they will ante up.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Tony Sparano.

SAR I
    He stopped the jets from scoring

Veteran
    They fired him, but are telling everyone he declined an offer in good faith.

Has there ever been a team that tried to have two head coaches? One for offense (bring in Norv) and one for defense (Rex). Woody seems crazy enough to do this. Hell, he did it with his quarterbacks, why stop there?

This franchise is cursed.

There are a million ways to read into this. IMO, I can see this as a start and a way for Rex and the organization to part ways mutually.....kind of like Schotty did last year. Rex would technically be getting fired, but the organization does not want to hurt his status for future jobs in the NFL. Maybe this has been agreed upon already, but they'll wait until the end of the season to announce it....like I said, just a thought.

I do find it odd that Pettine would leave Rex at this point of his career if Rex was staying here next season. Those two are joined at the hip. People have mentioned that Pettine may be in line for a college HC job, but what college and also wouldn't have this been announced already anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Suffering View Post
    No choice when the number 2 is not a QB and the number 1 has a ton of money tied up. Hands were tied.
    What the people around here don't seem to understand is that despite Sanchez sucking up the joint, he was still the best choice when in playoff contention. It's mind boggling to think anything else. I like McElroy. REALLY like him. But as much as I hated Rex's choice to start mark over him in Jax, I understood it. When your In the hunt you don't take the gamble on a 7th round qb in the hopes he'll follow the path of Brady or Romo. Now that your out? That's when you start GMac.

Despite mark playing like sh*t, he's been there before. You know Tebow sucks and fighting for your playoff chances is not the time to take a gamble. Rex deserves one more year just like Sanchez deserved one more after last year. After that? Then you start looking elsewhere.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Interesting.

I think he wants to distance himself from this team.
    I'd say say so too!

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll go on record that Tanny will be fired first, then a new GM will be hired. After that, he'll put his personnel in place after dismissing Rex and crew.
    We'll see how it plays out.
    If Rex had the ability to extend his DC, there is no way Rex is being fired.

What the tweet from Maheta didn't say was when Pettine turned down the extension. If it was offered back in September and October, that could be a different story. However, if it was offered this week, then Rex will certainly be back.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 12-22-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    There are a million ways to read into this. IMO, I can see this as a start and a way for Rex and the organization to part ways mutually.....kind of like Schotty did last year. Rex would technically be getting fired, but the organization does not want to hurt his status for future jobs in the NFL. Maybe this has been agreed upon already, but they'll wait until the end of the season to announce it....like I said, just a thought.

I do find it odd that Pettine would leave Rex at this point of his career if Rex was staying here next season. Those two are joined at the hip. People have mentioned that Pettine may be in line for a college HC job, but what college and also wouldn't have this been announced already anyway?
    With the Jets out of the playoffs I'd say for sure it would have been announced this week..Unless maybe he's going to be a DC in college..

But again it comes down to when was the extension offered / turned down..Last week, last month, two months ago.

And IMO the reason he is leaving is because Rex took back alot of the playcalling this season after it was reported that some of the D players were unhappy with Pettine's playcalling last season. Pettine called most of the plays last season and Rex said they would split the playcalling this season...
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-22-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    They fired him, but are telling everyone he declined an offer in good faith.

Has there ever been a team that tried to have two head coaches? One for offense (bring in Norv) and one for defense (Rex). Woody seems crazy enough to do this. Hell, he did it with his quarterbacks, why stop there?

This franchise is cursed.
    LMAO at cursred...Try incompetent and run like a pop warner team.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Tony Sparano.

SAR I
    Hell yea!! He already proved he can shut an offense down.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    LMAO at cursred...Try incompetent and run like a pop warner team.
    +1. It was a moment of exasperation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    With the Jets out of the playoffs I'd say for sure it would have been announced this week..Unless maybe he's going to be a DC in college..

But again it comes down to when was the extension offered / turned down..Last week, last month, two months ago.

And IMO the reason he is leaving is because Rex took back alot of the playcalling this season after it was reported that some of the D players were unhappy with Pettine's playcalling last season. Pettine called most of the plays last season and Rex said they would split the playcalling this season...
    I read how REX commented that Pettine is from a coaching family and will be a GREAT HC sometime soon.

The same Rex that said this team was his most talented.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I read how REX commented that Pettine is from a coaching family and will be a GREAT HC sometime soon.

The same Rex that said this team was his most talented.
    Pettine does have a legitimate shot at a Head Coaching gig. How many vacancies are we looking at 6-8?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Pettine does have a legitimate shot at a Head Coaching gig. How many vacancies are we looking at 6-8?
    And he may actually be qualified. it's just I can't take Rex's word for it.