Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pettine wont return next year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    The Jets want him to stay. He wants to follow Wrecks, again. At least that is whatI am hoping.
    Any new HC is going to want to bring in his own DC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    No, hello Rob.
    Can you imagine. Instead of getting rid of one clown they give us the pair.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll go on record that Tanny will be fired first, then a new GM will be hired. After that, he'll put his personnel in place after dismissing Rex and crew.
    We'll see how it plays out.
    Agreed, although it's no slam dunk that the HC won't return.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say Pettine actually wants to finally be a true Dc and not have the head coach taking things over. Rex Ryan has to realize that if he wants to just coach defense he better stick to being a great DC instead of a ****ty HC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has to have a job lined up already. If there is a rare chance he does not, this is really a bad sign of what might be going on inside our locker room. Mike and Rex have been very close.

So going into next year we'll have lost Pettine and Westhoff and are looking to fire Sparano, yet the HC stays? I think that's ridiculous.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd say Pettine actually wants to finally be a true Dc and not have the head coach taking things over. Rex Ryan has to realize that if he wants to just coach defense he better stick to being a great DC instead of a ****ty HC.
    This isn't the point. Pettine is irrelevant. By offering him a contract it's very clear the decision has been made to keep Rex...

And with that decision already being made it also means they're keeping Tanny as GM!!!!

NOT GOOD!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This isn't the point. Pettine is irrelevant. By offering him a contract it's very clear the decision has been made to keep Rex...

And with that decision already being made it also means they're keeping Tanny as GM!!!!

NOT GOOD!!!!
    This. Why would they offer him an extension if they were going to fire Rex/Tanny? Would make zero sense.

If i had to guess, Rex/Tanny decided that Pettine isn't all that valuable (Since Rex pretty much runs the defense) so they offered him a lowball contract and he decided to turn it down and put his services on the open market. They probably already have someone (in-house) that they will promote to DC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody needs to go. If Woody brings back the whole crew like everything is still rainbows and unicorns without making an example then I'm done. Why torture yourself with an idiot owner who has no clue?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

NOT GOOD!!!!
    Hold your horses.

This is the same organization that a year ago told us that Brian Schottenheimer wasn't fired and didn't resign.

If Pettine sees the writing on the wall and wants to make it clear that he will be available for employment elsewhere, I can see him leaking that he was offered something and turned it down.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let the games begin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    He has to have a job lined up already. If there is a rare chance he does not, this is really a bad sign of what might be going on inside our locker room. Mike and Rex have been very close.

So going into next year we'll have lost Pettine and Westhoff and are looking to fire Sparano, yet the HC stays? I think that's ridiculous.
    I would say that it is bad sign of what's going on in the organization. Rex will go down with the ship, that's just the way he is. He's a loyal guy. Mike might not be to that extent.

Pettine was quite candid in an espn article about how the lack of offense has worn on the D.

The Jets might have the next Al Davis, Jerry Jones, or Daniel Snyder? We'll see.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This. Why would they offer him an extension if they were going to fire Rex/Tanny? Would make zero sense.

If i had to guess, Rex/Tanny decided that Pettine isn't all that valuable (Since Rex pretty much runs the defense) so they offered him a lowball contract and he decided to turn it down and put his services on the open market. They probably already have someone (in-house) that they will promote to DC.
    The Jets are also the kings of keeping one side of the ball consistent and bringing in a head coach on the other side of the ball.

Just as we did we got rid of Edwards and Mangini, we kept the offensive side of the ball the same and switched over only the defense to match the new head coach.

So if we did try to extend Pettine it's possible that Mike is staying and wants consistency with the Ryan defense while he brings in a head coach to manage the offense which is exactly what we need.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Let the games begin.
    Mike stays.
    Rex goes.
    Mark starts.

Those are my predictions.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Rex is not staying. Pettine knows it. Mike does not want to be here under a new HC.
    (I hope)
    It was reported the extension was offered earlier in the season. Who knows when "earlier" was.

Maybe Pettine wants the opportunity to go elsewhere especially since Rex took back a lot of the play calling from Pettine this season.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that Rex is also heading out the door
    Yes I dont like Rex either of been wishing he would leave at the end of the season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jets are also the kings of keeping one side of the ball consistent and bringing in a head coach on the other side of the ball.

Just as we did we got rid of Edwards and Mangini, we kept the offensive side of the ball the same and switched over only the defense to match the new head coach.

So if we did try to extend Pettine it's possible that Mike is staying and wants consistency with the Ryan defense while he brings in a head coach to manage the offense which is exactly what we need.

SAR I
    You think it's possible Pettine turned down the offer because he wasn't given assurances that his boy Rexy would be back? That could make some sense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You think it's possible Pettine turned down the offer because he wasn't given assurances that his boy Rexy would be back? That could make some sense.
    If it was earlier in the season, I can see Pettine being upset by some of the moves that were made seemingly behind his back this year.

If it was done right now because Mike is trying to retain Ryan's staff before he gets rid of Ryan, he may have turned it down out of loyalty to Rex.

The timing of this announcement is rather curious; he probably has something lined up in college and he needs to be announced before the end of the season.

SAR I

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You people feed right into the tabloid feeding frenzy.

Think about it...Why would he not sign the contract extension?

Well, if I was his agent, I'd tell him to hold on tight until after the season. Why sign a contract extension if there is uncertainty on what Woody is going to do with the head coach.

If he signs now and Rex is canned, he could end up locked into a job working for a new HC he doesn't want to work for.

This does not mean Mike Petitine is looking to leave....he just wants to make sure his options are open if Rex gets the boot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex goes.
    Mark starts.
    This may be the most ass backwards post I've ever read on JI.

Haha, literally it's ass backwards as to what this team needs to do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hold your horses.

This is the same organization that a year ago told us that Brian Schottenheimer wasn't fired and didn't resign.

If Pettine sees the writing on the wall and wants to make it clear that he will be available for employment elsewhere, I can see him leaking that he was offered something and turned it down.

SAR I
    Yes, but why would Pettine be offered a new contract at all if a total regime change is imminent?

It looks to me that this means Rex is staying, but like Callahan last year who made a lateral move to escape Rex's zoo, Pettine is just trying to get out while his reputation is still somewhat intact...