Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Last 2 Games - What does Mac have to do?

  1. #1

    The Last 2 Games - What does Mac have to do?

    Forget what the draft experts say about Mac or the fact that he hasnt played and was our 3rd string QB.

    For the next 2 weeks here is what we are facing:

    SD: 7th vs the Run, 20th vs the Pass and 13th in Total Defense

    Buffalo: 30th vs the Run, 15th vs the Pass and 24th in Total Defense

    We probably wont have keller, but will have a healthy kerley and braylon. Probably will lean on the run (even though we should give him every opportunity to get real reps in.

    What do we realistically expect from Mac these last 2 weeks and REALISTICALLY what would he have to put up to be in legitimate consideration for opening day starter in 2013.

    Personally, I think 425 yards, over 60% 3 TDs and 1 Int are where a good, young QB should be agaisnt these defenses in this particular situation.

  2. #2
    show up.

    Seriously. Even if he comes out like RGIII, you can't declare a starter for next season based on these last two games. It would be crazy.


    All he can do is get experience and maybe put himself at the front of the line for next year's qb competition.

  3. #3
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Dump.

    SAR I

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Valley Stream, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,969
    Some are comparing McElroy in to Chad in terms of smarts and lack of arm strength. If so, I would expect (and hope) we see a higher completion percentage overall, especially in the red zone, to mix in with the conservative play calling featuring lots of runs, screens, and roll-outs resulting in modest gains. I expect McElroy will tuck it in and run a few times himself when he feels the heat. We'll see. The key to all of it, though, will be lack of turnovers. That HAS to happen if we have any hope.

  5. #5
    what the jets need to see of mcelroy is solid decision making and ball protection. they don't want to see him throw off his back foot or make late throws or be indecisive or get strip sacked. if he does that and has a decent pass percentage and ypa then he could very well go into next season as the starter.

    neither of those teams will be pushovers. they will be great tests for him.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    what the jets need to see of mcelroy is solid decision making and ball protection. they don't want to see him throw off his back foot or make late throws or be indecisive or get strip sacked. if he does that and has a decent pass percentage and ypa then he could very well go into next season as the starter.

    neither of those teams will be pushovers. they will be great tests for him.
    I think he needs to do more then simply protect the ball, and I kind of expect that from him.

    I want to see him be able to make as many "NFL" throws as possible and see if he can drive the ball on the 12-15 yard out patterns.

    Unless he flops, I cannot see a single reason why he wouldnt just as good of an option as some of the veteran retreads that have been mentioned. Jason Campbell or matt moore, are not going to take us over the hump...why not go with the young guy, and hopefully develop a rookie behind him

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Dump.

    SAR I
    Thanks for adding to a thread about an actual football question.

    You shoudl stick to backing sanchez with no discernable facts and telling people how much you love your PSL and $50K car

  8. #8
    McElroy needs to look smart with the football. Don't make dumb throws when our receiver is triple covered. Show the Jets some smarts and some enthusiasm and some game management skills and Make a few decent throws and he will be talked about all spring and summer.

  9. #9
    Simple....don't throw 4 INt"s and fumble any snaps. Then he'll be playing with house $.

  10. #10
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Thanks for adding to a thread about an actual football question.

    You shoudl stick to backing sanchez with no discernable facts and telling people how much you love your PSL and $50K car
    Two meaningless regular-season games won't tell us anything about McElroy unfortunately. Neither the defense nor the offense is really going to be trying very hard.

    He will most likely get hurt in the first quarter, and we'll get to see a little bit more of Mark Sanchez. The guy just doesn't look like he's built to be a professional quarterback.

    SAR I

  11. #11
    1) Good, quick, decisive decisions.

    2) Command the huddle

    3) Hold teammates accountable on the field

    4) Results

    You know, the Anti-Sanchez

  12. #12
    Young QB's that rarely see any playtime...now making a first start, will see a blitzing frenzy from defenses. So I'd want to see how he handles this. If defenses are playing 9 in the box to stuff the run, and dare gmac to throw it...I'd like to see if he can make them pay. With some 20 and 30+ connections, to Kerley, Cumberland, or Braylon.

    Don't know if gmac can average 220 yards passing with this receiving group. But anything close to 200+yds; 60% completions; 3-1 TD to INT ratio, would be very encouraging. Shows he's making good decisions and is maintaining his poise, displaying good pocket presence.

  13. #13
    Watch McElroy put up 350 passing yards and 3 TD's. Then watch Rex's face turn red when the press asks him why he waited so long.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    Some are comparing McElroy in to Chad in terms of smarts and lack of arm strength. If so, I would expect (and hope) we see a higher completion percentage overall, especially in the red zone, to mix in with the conservative play calling featuring lots of runs, screens, and roll-outs resulting in modest gains. I expect McElroy will tuck it in and run a few times himself when he feels the heat. We'll see. The key to all of it, though, will be lack of turnovers. That HAS to happen if we have any hope.
    Absolutely no reason to be conservative these last two games. They should let him be aggressive and see what he can do.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    662
    I'm expecting to see GMc hit our WR's in stride so that they can get YAC. While our WR's aren't pro-bowlers I do think they are better than what we've seen.

    I don't expect him to light it up and be the 2nd comming but I do expect a smart efficient ball security minded QB who is good enough to have managed us into the playoffs had he been given the chance.

    This last two games are not about the level of compition GMc is facing, they are about his touch, accuracy, and decision making.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    I'm expecting to see GMc hit our WR's in stride so that they can get YAC. While our WR's aren't pro-bowlers I do think they are better than what we've seen.

    I don't expect him to light it up and be the 2nd comming but I do expect a smart efficient ball security minded QB who is good enough to have managed us into the playoffs had he been given the chance.

    This last two games are not about the level of compition GMc is facing, they are about his touch, accuracy, and decision making.
    I agree that even mediocore QB play would have won us the Titans game and we would at least still be alive.

    I want them to give him every opportunity to air it out and see what he has...

    I will say, as optimistic as I am (albeit blindly to an extent) its hard to find any scouts that thought he has the arm to compete at this level with any regular success...who knows, stranger things have happened and gotta think arm strength can improve a bit with proper workouts.

  17. #17
    Be marginally productive (can't expect 28-38 point games) and don't turn the ball over.

    If he does that and the Jets don't sign someone like Vick and opt more for a Matt Moore type player, he will be in line to compete for the job in the off-season.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Two meaningless regular-season games won't tell us anything about McElroy unfortunately. Neither the defense nor the offense is really going to be trying very hard.

    He will most likely get hurt in the first quarter, and we'll get to see a little bit more of Mark Sanchez. The guy just doesn't look like he's built to be a professional quarterback.

    SAR I
    To say it won't show anything is quite the overstatement. He could bomb like Sanchez has done, or he could be a guy on 3rd and 7 feel the pressure side step and throw the ball to the guy past the first down marker. He could throw the ball to the side of the receiver that the defender is not on. He can toss the ball into the stands rather than take a sack or throw into double coverage. These are things that the team will look for, he is still tossing it to the same stiffs that Sanchez did but his actions in situational football means a lot.

  19. #19
    I think it's really hard to *expect* anything from him. We say he's accurate, makes good decisions, protects the ball, etc. That's all true about his play in college. We don't yet know that he's any of those things at the pro level; all we have is that less than half of a game's worth of NFL experience.

    This Sunday, we get to start the process of finding out what he can do on the NFL level. I am ****ing pumped and hope he does well. But I think it's a bit irrational to think he'll come out and throw for 400 yards, especially given that the Jets evaluated Sanchez as better than him all year despite Sanchez' very poor level of play.

    I guess I'm nitpicking and possibly making my very positive impression of this situation sound negative. But for example if Tom Brady was traded to the Jets and set to start on Sunday, you would expect great accuracy, leadership, ball protection, etc. With McElroy, you are hoping for all of that based on how he did in college, combine, preseason, etc

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Absolutely no reason to be conservative these last two games. They should let him be aggressive and see what he can do.
    No, they should be as the offense is designed to function. You want to know how he will perform in the Jets offense, not in Green Bays or the Pat's offense.

    Having him throw on 3rd and one, does what? having him throw on 2nd and 5 and the D is in a nickle shows you what?
    Last edited by patman; 12-21-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us