Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinny Cerrato on ESPN Radio yesterday

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinny Cerrato on ESPN Radio yesterday

Vinny Cerrato is a former GM/VP of the Redskins. While he may not have been that successful, he was blunt and completely to the point. He didn't dress anything up in a 30 minute spot with Patrick McEnroe who is a die-hard Jets fan. They were filling in for Van Pelt.

In any event, he touched upon some absolutely outstanding points:

1) This team is an absolutely unappealing job to any potential GM right now. Dreams of Bill Polian or even Stephen Ross are not viable. He said he wouldn't even take the job. Then he reeled off why:

A) The team needs torn down. Age has eaten into the defense. There are plenty of bad contracts there as well.

B) The team is over the cap RIGHT NOW for next year. They have to cut guys. The lone bright spots on this team aside from Cromartie and Wilk were the play of the safeties. Who just earned themselves both solid contracts. He thinks the Giants will get Landry and Bell will end up elsewhere since they don't have the cap room to make appealing offers to either.

C) The owner is most likely not going to fire Rex, essentially forcing any new GM to deal with the issue that got this team into this position in the first place: The owner listens to Rex, who can't assess talent at all. Head coaches like Rex, who can win with a properly constructed team, need completely removed from having any sort of input on talent evaluation. Because their egos are so large that they think that they can "fix," anybody. Cerrato then went on to highlight that the blind loyalty to Sanchez is mistakenly viewed by many Jets fans as due to mandates because of his salary by management and the GM, when the truth is that Rex truly believes that Mark Sanchez can be fixed. The problem being that the only thing Rex understands about offense is how to defend it.

D) Woody Johnson was not the final say on acquiring Tebow. According to Cerrato, the story went like this:

Rex and Tannebaum were sitting in an airport when they received a text to let them know that Manning was signed by Denver. Rex pointed out that Tebow may be available. Tannenbaum called Denver's GM on the spot and asked if Tebow was available and what they were looking for for him. They both believed that Tebow could effectively provide offense to this team. Rex repeatedly brought up the Thursday night game in 2011. That lead to Tebow's acquisition.

My favorite line about this story from Cerrato last night:

"Neither realized that part of having an effective wildcat is not requiring massive personnel changes that essentially telegraph the play. There's a major difference to a defense if a wideout goes into motion and becomes the QB vs. here comes Tebow, time to blitz everybody." To me, this is obvious and mind-blowing.

E) Woody Johnson is not a very appealing owner compared to others. The media in conjunction with this exacerbates this, leading to yet more issues. See issue F as the why.

F) This is what kills me:

Cerrato then pointed out to McEnroe, whose co-host (I forget his name) is a Giants fan, that Woody is trying too hard to be different from the Giants which are for all intents and purposes the gold standard on how to run a NFL team. He seemingly refuses to mimic what they do or to even pay attention to it. It's maddening to him and part of the reason why the job is so unappealing.

G) Defense may win you the actual Super Bowl game itself, but you need a QB to get you there. It behooves the organization as a whole to cut ties with Rex, Tannenbaum, Sparano, Bradway (and most of the scouting department), and even Pettine and allow somebody to gut the roster, suck for the next year and be in contention for the #1 pick in 2014, a draft that has some pretty serious talent at the top so far. The alternative would be to keep the current regime, allow the "cap master," Tannenbaum to pare down the payroll and suck next year, then fire everybody and allow the new GM or VP to rebuild this team.

H) This tied to G: You can't just run the ball 40 times a game and expect to be a true contender. You at the very least need balance. This is why Rex Ryan should be gone above all else: His philosophy is outdated and irrelevant. The tough part to swallow is that he may very well be the best defensive mind in football.

I) Mark Sanchez projects to be a worse version of Alex Smith. And Cerrato thinks Harbaugh made the right move going to Kapernick. He went on to say that neither Sanchez or Smith will win a Super Bowl without a top 5 defense and top 5 running game. He said that this essentially means that they are overrated because outside of 7 or 8 QB's with some being rookies most of the league could be successful with these things.

J) The 2009 Jets roster was the best of the bunch. If they had a Matt Moore-type veteran, Thomas Jones is healthy at the end of the year and that team could have beaten the Colts. He said that the Jets defense that year was on par with the 2000 Baltimore Ravens as was Jones on par with Jamal Lewis.

K) If you are going to run "Ground and Pound," then you need your best offensive talent to be your running back. The Jets best offensive talent was at Tight End and Wide Receiver prior to Holmes' injury.

L) He said Sanchez and Tebow effectively have no trade value. He actually laughed and said that it's hilarious that "trading Sanchez" is even mentioned. The only plausible trade would be to Seattle but he doesn't think Carroll's ego is big enough to do that, even if it does dump Flynn's contract. He said Tebow should be cut. That's the least the team could do for the guy so he can have full control where to play. He said leaks like this in an organization like the Giants would get the GM fired and that's exactly what should happen here.

Cerrato left off by telling McEnroe this:

This is going to get worse before it starts improving. Woody Johnson really needs to understand the depth of how poor the job by Tannenbaum and Rex in assessing talent has been in most of their draft picks and by infusing this culture of no repercussions or responsibility that such a player-friendly coach has onto this organization. This should be done properly in a 2-3 year rebuild, possibly even 4.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the interview as well and it was a spot on analysis of our team. The only thing I disagree on is I do feel the Jets are an attractive sell for potential GM's. We are ipe for a rebuild, and any GM that takes this job has essentially a clean slate to build his vision. I think a GM that wants to make his mark in this league would jump at the chance to come here. A GM who doesn't want to have to work too hard might be looking for a job where a QB is in place, but then again how often does that happen? Think about it, a GM comes here and finds his QB, builds around him and becomes a perennial contender and wins a SB? He's instantly a legend.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I heard the interview as well and it was a spot on analysis of our team. The only thing I disagree on is I do feel the Jets are an attractive sell for potential GM's. We are ipe for a rebuild, and any GM that takes this job has essentially a clean slate to build his vision. I think a GM that wants to make his mark in this league would jump at the chance to come here. A GM who doesn't want to have to work too hard might be looking for a job where a QB is in place, but then again how often does that happen? Think about it, a GM comes here and finds his QB, builds around him and becomes a perennial contender and wins a SB? He's instantly a legend.
    I agree, but I think the point Cerrato was making is that it's an unappealing job if the head coach is retained and the mandate from the owner is to win next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cerrato couldn't buy a job. He was awful. First thing Marty did was tell Dannyboy to dump that cancer. Dannyboy brought him back and realized he was truly awful. Who cares what Cerrato has to say or any of the ESPN windbags.....all guys who can't find a job in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you gut the defense? Who the hell is the elite QB prospect that is coming out next year? There is no Andrew Luck underclassmen playing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Cerrato couldn't buy a job. He was awful. First thing Marty did was tell Dannyboy to dump that cancer. Dannyboy brought him back and realized he was truly awful. Who cares what Cerrato has to say or any of the ESPN windbags.....all guys who can't find a job in the NFL.
    Except for the part where Cerrato was essentially 100% right.

You can TL;DR this with the following:

Veteran NFL exec. says Jets job isn't appealing for anybody YOU WOULD ACTUALLY WANT BUILDING YOUR ORGANIZATION BACK UP FROM THE GROUND.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I agree, but I think the point Cerrato was making is that it's an unappealing job if the head coach is retained and the mandate from the owner is to win next year.
    Oh I apologize I should have been clear, I agree 100% with that. I think if you mandate a GM has to keep the HC you instantly lose out on any self respecting candidate. Give a GM 100% autonomy in all decisions including coach, great job. Force Rex, terrible.

How can a GM honestly build a team in his vision if the coach's vision is something else entirely? Rex has a very unique and frankly, in my opinion, antiquated view of how to win football games. Most teams feel the way you win today is to find a very good QB and build the team around that QB. Rex's vision is to build a top tier defense and let whatever else remains fall in place elsewhere. Rex wants to win games 17-10, 13-3, etc.. Most GM's nowadays feel, rightly so in my opinion, that you need to be able to score points often while fielding a competent defense. I would feel much better with a top 5 offense and a top 15 defense than I would with a top 5 defense and a top 15 offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Why would you gut the defense? Who the hell is the elite QB prospect that is coming out next year? There is no Andrew Luck underclassmen playing.
    The defense is essentially killing the cap itself. Pace, Pouha, Harris, all overpaid.

This team needs REBUILT not RETOOLED. That was his point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. Spot-on assessment.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It behooves the organization as a whole to cut ties with Rex, Tannenbaum, Sparano, Bradway (and most of the scouting department), and even Pettine and allow somebody to gut the roster, suck for the next year and be in contention for the #1 pick in 2014, a draft that has some pretty serious talent at the top so far.
    Ive been saying this for awhile. We need to suck and suck bad next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defense is essentially killing the cap itself. Pace, Pouha, Harris, all overpaid.

Pace & Pouha are going to be waived, Ellis will be starting for Pouha, they need to replace Pace with a younger player.

Our DL, ILB and cornerbacks are set.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    cornerbacks are set.
    I got the impression that Cerrato thought having that much money tied up into CB was idiotic.

It works well with Rex's scheme, but either Revis or Cromartie need to go.

I think Lankster is a better player than Wilson, too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never really liked Cerrato but pretty well everything he said is correct.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but the age factor for the defense will take care of itself. BT and Pace will be gone without any problems, Scott will be cut too and even Pouha won't be as big a problem to renegotiate or cut. We got young players on the D ready already to take bigger roles (Coples, Ellis, Davis) and we got an entire draft aswell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the impression that Cerrato thought having that much money tied up into CB was idiotic.

It works well with Rex's scheme, but either Revis or Cromartie need to go.

I think Lankster is a better player than Wilson, too.
    I actually agree with this. Cro's value will never be higher and the D managed to survive with Wilson as the 2nd cb.

If the Jets could swap what they will pay for Cro and use the money on say, Anthony Spencer, the D would be much better off.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Yeah but the age factor for the defense will take care of itself. BT and Pace will be gone without any problems, Scott will be cut too and even Pouha won't be as big a problem to renegotiate or cut. We got young players on the D ready already to take bigger roles (Coples, Ellis, Davis) and we got an entire draft aswell.
    I agree, but I still see issues with having so much money tied up into the cornerback positions and David Harris, who is not on par with Patrick Willis or Navarro Bowman, who are inarguably the best combination of coverage/non-pass-rush sideline-to-sideline LBs in the NFL.

It's very important to make note of something here:

You don't necessarily need a top 5 defense to win Super Bowls or even wild cards, but you should pay attention to the fact that Gronkowski and Hernandez will need defended for the next upwards of 8 years.

Hence Harris is overpaid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHO THE HELL IS Vinny Cerrato !

This guy single handedly ruined the the freaking Redskins & he has the nerve to comment on the Jets situation?
    I believe, correct me if I'm wrong is the guy that gave Haynsworth a 100 million dollar contract? No?
    Anyone can see what went wrong here, but to come out & say that no one will want this job is just flat out ridiculous.

Granted, Woody has to can Rex to get real talent here & I have no problem with that.
    Rexs, buddy, buddy schtick with his pets overshadows his greatness as a DC, but like Sar has pointed out many times, his defense has had a lot of FAIL when they have needed to make a stop in a big moment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    WHO THE HELL IS Vinny Cerrato !

This guy single handedly ruined the the freaking Redskins & he has the nerve to comment on the Jets situation?
    I believe, correct me if I'm wrong is the guy that gave Haynsworth a 100 million dollar contract? No?
    Anyone can see what went wrong here, but to come out & say that no one will want this job is just flat out ridiculous.

Granted, Woody has to can Rex to get real talent here & I have no problem with that.
    Rexs, buddy, buddy schtick with his pets overshadows his greatness as a DC, but like Sar has pointed out many times, his defense has had a lot of FAIL when they have needed to make a stop in a big moment.
    Does it honestly matter?

Here, try this instead:

Veteran NFL exec. says Jets job isn't appealing for anybody YOU WOULD ACTUALLY WANT BUILDING YOUR ORGANIZATION BACK UP FROM THE GROUND.

Want it shorter?

Obvious obviousness is obvious to us fans. It is not obvious to idiot owner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since when does Vinny Cerrato know WTF is going on with the Jets. He's just another blowhard idiot thinking he knows something about a team that he's never had anything to do with.

And what exactly makes him qualified to say what the Jets need to be fixed? Is it his vast experience and success with the Washington Redskins?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Since when does Vinny Cerrato know WTF is going on with the Jets. He's just another blowhard idiot thinking he knows something about a team that he's never had anything to do with.

And what exactly makes him qualified to say what the Jets need to be fixed? Is it his vast experience and success with the Washington Redskins?
    Yeah because everything is fine. 8-8 last year, ****ty QB, ****ty offense overall.

It's all good baby. Cerrato is right on to anybody who has a clue about the salary cap and how poor talent evaluation has been across the entire body of drafts over the past 3 years.