Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinny Cerrato on ESPN Radio yesterday

Excellent thread. I agree 100000000000000000000% with the analysis of the state of this team.

I am scared that woody will do the following;

1. demote Tannenbaum (instead of out right firing him) to appease the fans. Unfortunately he will attempt to hire a new GM and tell them they have to keep the head coach. This will eliminate any difference-making GM and keep the Jets firmly stuck in neutral.

2. Sign Michael Vick to sell jerseys and create buzz. One good thing about having to keep Sanchez one more year will be that it will be hard to pay him and Vick thus saving the woody from himself.

Realistically, the best offseason would be that the Jets keep everyone in place one more year. They will suck so bad that two things will happen;

1. Johnson will be forced into making the correct choice of firing everybody and starting from scratch.

2. The Jets will get a high draft pick in 2014 when there will be some GREAT prospects coming out.

All this inaccurate over analysis is really irritating. The facts are, if we didn't have a inaccurate turnover machine at quarterback, we would have won 3 or four more games and been in the playoffs.On defense Scott will be replaced by davis, and Pace will be replaced by our first round pick, hopefully dion Jordon

Jets Insider VIP
    Good stuff, thanks for the breakdown.

That said, I don't think it's that gloomy. Blowing it up and starting over is an option, but that runs it's own risks.

Tanny has to be fired/re-assigned for his mistakes this year alone. There's no rational reason why he should keep his job. There were too many glaring mistakes made that were poorly planned.

It's not the situation of making good decisions that turned out poorly. It is bad decisions that turned out poorly.

Then there is addressing the QB situation. They need a veteran and someone to draft. Rex needs to be out of the decision as Cerrato noted and a new offensive staff and new GM needs to make that decision. The current regime has forfeited it's right to make a decision on acquiring QBs and developing them.

Jets Insider VIP
    The facts are, if we didn't have a inaccurate turnover machine at quarterback, we would have won 3 or four more games and been in the playoffs.
    The fact is we had 2 guys on the roster who arent turnover machines. These guys were not allowed to play. Thats the head coaches fault. Thats one of the many reasons why he should be fired.

Tebow can't throw, and i don't think they found out how bad he was until he started practicing with the team.He throws sidearm. McElroy, is another story. REx stuck with Sanchez too long.Hes well liked on the team, alot was invested in him, and he had the false hope, he would turn it around. The Sanchez error is over, lets get a new GM, and retain Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Tebow can't throw, and i don't think they found out how bad he was until he started practicing with the team.He throws sidearm. McElroy, is another story. REx stuck with Sanchez too long.Hes well liked on the team, alot was invested in him, and he had the false hope, he would turn it around. The Sanchez error is over, lets get a new GM, and retain Rex.
    The problem is, these two things work against each other.

No decent GM will want to retain Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    The problem is, these two things work against each other.

No decent GM will want to retain Rex.
    Right no decent gm is going to want to keep probably the best defensive mind in the NFL on his team

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I heard the interview as well and it was a spot on analysis of our team. The only thing I disagree on is I do feel the Jets are an attractive sell for potential GM's. We are ipe for a rebuild, and any GM that takes this job has essentially a clean slate to build his vision. I think a GM that wants to make his mark in this league would jump at the chance to come here. A GM who doesn't want to have to work too hard might be looking for a job where a QB is in place, but then again how often does that happen? Think about it, a GM comes here and finds his QB, builds around him and becomes a perennial contender and wins a SB? He's instantly a legend.
    Only if given the power to do so. Woody loves to hedge bets and may force Rex on the next GM

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Right no decent gm is going to want to keep probably the best defensive mind in the NFL on his team
    It's all roses guy.

He's only half a head coach.

Great Post.
    I agree 100% that this team needs to be gutted. This is what we started to do in 2006. Unfortunately we had an unexpected good year ( a bit of a mirage) and the expectations became unrealistic. This took us off the rebuilding tract and we started signing veteran free agents in an attempt to win it all. Our window to win unfortunately was very small and we didnt cash in.

The rebuilding process has to be resumed and there is one guy out there who can do it...the guy who started the rebuilding in 2006 by bringing in hard working, high character, blue collar type guys who love football..... the same guy whos plan was sabotaged by a greedy owner.....we need that guy now more than ever to get us back...we need MANGINI

Good analysis (for the most part) by Cerrato.

The ironic thing is that the 2012 Jets roster is eerily similar to the roster Cerrato left the Redskins when he resigned.

The question becomes is Woody willing to have an uncompetitive team for 2-3 years while they rebuild the organization and players. I don't believe you can do both but it's obvious this engine needs a major overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    The question becomes is Woody willing to have an uncompetitive team for 2-3 years while they rebuild the organization and players. I don't believe you can do both but it's obvious this engine needs a major overhaul
    If we dont rebuild we will be uncompetitive for far longer

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Cerrato couldn't buy a job. He was awful. First thing Marty did was tell Dannyboy to dump that cancer. Dannyboy brought him back and realized he was truly awful. Who cares what Cerrato has to say or any of the ESPN windbags.....all guys who can't find a job in the NFL.
    Exactly; a washed-up nobody. Those Redskin teams were absolute terrors.

No.

Under Cerrato both the O and D sucked for the Redskins. Also for a guy talking about blowing things up and starting from scratch his actions with the Skins were the exact opposite. They consistantly traded draft picks for aging vets.

The Jets are a good QB and RB away from being a solid playoff team. The crux of the problem is that its hard to find good QB's. The way forward is to see what we have in GMAC. I have never been an advocate of tanking seasons. We have had some terrible seasons and the end results of high draft picks rarely seem to work out anyway. Suffering through 1-15 under Kotite netted us Keyshawn Johnson. Big whoop.

I do think we can use some organizational change at the top. Also if Rex is going to remain as HC we need an experienced guru to take the reigns on O and bring a complete staff with them. People mention Norv T who I agree is a good possibility. I'd also consider former Ravens HC Brian Billick.

Look the Jets aren't good,but the media is making it seem like they haven't won a game in 3 years.

It all comes down to what it all comes down to in this league,you get your franchise qb,all your problems go away,if we can ever find that damnit!!!!!!

Cerrato's analysis looks correct but

And a lot of changes need to be made but with a clueless, inept owner like Woody who likes on field garbage, lies and cheap headlines, only superficial changes will be made. Same old Jets, past, present and the future.

Heard Vinne the other day on the radio (which show escapes me)..Said at the time of Sanchez's contract extension it was a good move..you lock up your QB for 5 yrs and cheap....

Who would have thought he'd regress this bad...again, poor overall job by the Jets FO and coaches in developing their franchise QB...and yes, Sanchez deserves blame too

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Look the Jets aren't good,but the media is making it seem like they haven't won a game in 3 years.

It all comes down to what it all comes down to in this league,you get your franchise qb,all your problems go away,if we can ever find that damnit!!!!!!
    Can I ask the question that how many guys here actually thought the Jets would win the division or be serious contender this year with the acquisition of Tebow, not addressing the O-Line (really), not upgrading S Green or the Linebackers? To be honest, I think winning 6 to 8 games this year is right on. We need much more than a good QB. Tanny's drafting the past 4 years absolutely stinks.