Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can not McElroy Being a starter in this league?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    His arm does appear to get the job done. The only thing I would be careful of in this vid, is just like Chad all the deep passes are in the seam or the post. Where are the throws to the deep out or the far side. You know the one where he needs to get it 35 yards down the field to the opposite hash or sideline with the safety closing. After Bellicheat exposed Chad to this he was never as affective. I would love to see McKelroy take the #1 job. I think we all need to see more though.

You hit on the point that most people don't get. Questions about arm strength aren't concerned as to whether a QB can throw the ball 50+ yards down field. Rather, it's about how much zip a guy can put on a 12-15 yard out route. Actually getting the ball there isn't the problem.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has plenty of arm strength and where is he now? On the scrap heap! Its not about arm strength - its about being smart and knowing what throws you can make and which ones you cant. If McElroy knows he cant throw the ball 60 yards downfield then he wont try that throw. You have to have a sense of what you can and cant do as a QB and the coaches need to design the plays according to what you can do. It all works hand in hand. McElroy will prove these last 2 games that he has what it takes but be a successful NFL QB!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Sanchez has plenty of arm strength and where is he now? On the scrap heap! Its not about arm strength - its about being smart and knowing what throws you can make and which ones you cant. If McElroy knows he cant throw the ball 60 yards downfield then he wont try that throw. You have to have a sense of what you can and cant do as a QB and the coaches need to design the plays according to what you can do. It all works hand in hand. McElroy will prove these last 2 games that he has what it takes but be a successful NFL QB!
    Mcelroy can't possibly prove that he has what it takes in the last two games of the season. THe NFL is all about adjustments. Tape over time proves who has what it takes.

A guy who shows on tape can't make certain throws will allow defenses to cover less field and expose him.

2 meaningless exhibition games without tape will not prove anything. One of Sanchez's single best game as a pro came in his first start as a pro.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    We clearly have nothing to lose at this point.
    Exactly. He's the best option right now and there's so little we have seen from him so far.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That's not reallybased in fact. Only in perception. I think he has a better arm than people give him credit for.
    If you say so. I know what I saw on McElroy's only long pass attempt vs. Arizona, and it was the ugliest wounded duck pass I've ever seen.

If he has a stronger arm that that quacker showed, and perhaps he does, he'll get his opportunity to show it tomorrow.

Brady, Montana, Brees are all examples of QBs that supposedly had weak arms.
    Are you making a comparison of arm strentgh between McElroy and Brady/Brees/Montana?

If so, I think you're being far too generous.

Hopefully they give him a real chance. I say why not let him throw it all over the field. Lets see what this kid can do. What have we got to lose? Sadly I can see them grounding and pounding with Greene, for no good reason, just like they did the last two games.
    Of course they're going to ground and pound, that is (like it or not) the Ryan Jets Offensive Philosophy. That does not mean McElroy will not have his shots to air it out.

McElroy will win the job if he can put points on the board, limit turnovers, and make all the NFL passes required. It really is as simple as that.

If he fails to score, throws long quackers for INT's, he'll not be given a shot in 2013, and will likely be out of the league by 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While a guy with limitations (Pennington/McElroy) can be successful over a short period of time as a starter, they tend to struggle over long periods of time as teams learn to take advantage of their limitations. Pennington's arm strength was probably right on the line of "bare minimum" for an NFL QB.

While you don't have to have a Jeff George Cannon Arm to be successful, you do have to a "minimum" amount of arm strength to be successful. Montana didn't have a cannon, but he had enough arm strength to be a Hof'r.

With McElroy, the question is simple: Is his arm strong "enough?"

I watched him at training camp last year. Watching him throw next to Brunnell and Sanchize, his arm was significantly behind the other two. Allegedly, he improved in this area through training and weights. We will see in the next two games if it worked.

Bottom Line: I am skeptical.
    Kind of like weak arms hurt Montana and Young?

Actually against AZ I was surprised how much stronger his arm looked, didn't see one weak armed throw, his one attempt to zip the ball was a completion on a line. Lets see, there are plenty of stories of weak armed QB's who improved their arm strength through training and tweaking their mechanics. One is heading our division.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETZONI View Post
    Just want to hear from the JI braintrust here.

All I hear as this guy will never be a pro starter in the NFL from all the experts, believe we'd be in the playoffs with him as our starter, anyways...

I'm really rooting for McElroy, and I think he may not be a starter for most teams, But he can be a solid starter for the Jets. #1 he was drafted by the Jets #2 I don't see him turning the ball over, ESP as much as Sanchez or Tbow will. If Spano is smart, he'll roll him out quite a bit and use him to throw on the run...

#3 The Jets have a great D, so all they need is somebody to get first downs and not turn it over... I really wish we could have went with McElroy since the Cardnals game, but we'll never know

Thoughts?
    No one knows, and we may never get the chance to find out, here.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My hope

He throws great, wins the next two, is named the starter in 13 and lights it up week after week including the playoffs.

Hopefully this will STFU all the bloviating JI couch arm strength"experts" all basing their expert analysis on their dog eared copies of Mel Kiper's always 100 percent accurate predictions

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Well, for once we agree - on Mel Kuyper anyway - since he's the first guy who said Tebow couldn't play.

On the other hand you're the guy who saw Tebow play only 1 full series as a Jet and decided he can't play. That's not enough to judge by. In comparison, McElroy got over a quarter of play in the Arizona game, which was enough for me to see that he's better than Sanchez at protecting the ball anyway. Too bad you can't be as open-minded about Tebow.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETZONI View Post
    Just want to hear from the JI braintrust here.

All I hear as this guy will never be a pro starter in the NFL from all the experts, believe we'd be in the playoffs with him as our starter, anyways...

I'm really rooting for McElroy, and I think he may not be a starter for most teams, But he can be a solid starter for the Jets. #1 he was drafted by the Jets #2 I don't see him turning the ball over, ESP as much as Sanchez or Tbow will. If Spano is smart, he'll roll him out quite a bit and use him to throw on the run...

#3 The Jets have a great D, so all they need is somebody to get first downs and not turn it over... I really wish we could have went with McElroy since the Cardnals game, but we'll never know

Thoughts?
    Let's see how he does in the next two games. Would love to see 85+ QB rating and no picks. If he performs at that level he could emerge as our starter next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Kind of like weak arms hurt Montana and Young?

Actually against AZ I was surprised how much stronger his arm looked, didn't see one weak armed throw, his one attempt to zip the ball was a completion on a line. Lets see, there are plenty of stories of weak armed QB's who improved their arm strength through training and tweaking their mechanics. One is heading our division.
    1) I don't know what world you live in, but Steve Young didn't have a weak arm. While not a cannon, it was certainly NFL starter "average" at a minimum.

2) As my original post noted, Montana did NOT have a cannon. Indeed, he was probably in the lower half/quartile of NFL QBs in terms of arm strength during his time. BUT: he played in the West Coast offense that played to his strengths (accuracy and timing) and he was not "weak" armed.

While there are things you look for in a NFL QB (intelligence, arm strength, intangibles, size, ability to avoid the rush), there is no perfect formula for determining who can or cannot play. Most great NFL quarterbacks have a mix of good/bad qualities.
    - Big Ben isn't very fast, but incredibly hard to bring down.
    - Marino had a good arm, but had an incredibly quick release that made him hard to sack and that helped get the ball to the receiver quickly.

If McElroy's arm is "strong enough," he could turn into something special. If it is not, he will probably end up like Jason Garrett - a lifetime backup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't throw outside the numbers, you can't be a QB in this league. We will see how this kid does.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    1) I don't know what world you live in, but Steve Young didn't have a weak arm. While not a cannon, it was certainly NFL starter "average" at a minimum.

2) As my original post noted, Montana did NOT have a cannon. Indeed, he was probably in the lower half/quartile of NFL QBs in terms of arm strength during his time. BUT: he played in the West Coast offense that played to his strengths (accuracy and timing) and he was not "weak" armed.

While there are things you look for in a NFL QB (intelligence, arm strength, intangibles, size, ability to avoid the rush), there is no perfect formula for determining who can or cannot play. Most great NFL quarterbacks have a mix of good/bad qualities.
    - Big Ben isn't very fast, but incredibly hard to bring down.
    - Marino had a good arm, but had an incredibly quick release that made him hard to sack and that helped get the ball to the receiver quickly.

If McElroy's arm is "strong enough," he could turn into something special. If it is not, he will probably end up like Jason Garrett - a lifetime backup.
    This has to be taken with a huge grain of salt, because Rex is doing some talent evaluation on O here, but Rex said a couple of weeks back:

Still, Rex is a guy who sees the best in his players and isn’t afraid to tell people what he sees...."he said of McElroy, “I never knew that a guy could improve his arm strength during an offseason the way Greg did. So right now, you know, I feel comfortable with Greg.”
    http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...back-catharsis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the question is whether he can throw it a long distance. I think it's pretty clear he is capable. The question is can he get the ball there with enough zip, before a defender is able to make a play

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    You hit on the point that most people don't get. Questions about arm strength aren't concerned as to whether a QB can throw the ball 50+ yards down field. Rather, it's about how much zip a guy can put on a 12-15 yard out route. Actually getting the ball there isn't the problem.
    Didn't see this. Exactly

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

mcelroys arm is better then you think

he has gone through the same process of strengthening his arm like the quarterbacks that were mentioned.brady today throws bullet passes with accuracy.mcelroy has always been accurate throughout his career.I think that we will be surprised with his completion rate.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    as stated before a strong arm is not just being able to throw the ball 60 yards, that's about 15 percent of it, it's the ability to zip a ball into a receiver 25 yards away with a corner back lurking, beating the cornerback by mere milliseconds. That's where throwing power can really come in handy. However I value accuracy over power regardless.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are plenty of QBs who succeeded being late picks or undrafted so the fact that he was a 7th rounder doesnt mean a ton.

His intangibles are unquestionably very high, but like as already mentioned his arm strength is a big question. I found a bunch of scouting reports online and almost every one said he didnt have the arm to thrown outside the numbers.

While alabama is probably as close to a professional program as you can find, I do think with proper training you can improve arm strength. Mcelroy said in his press conf after Ariz that he worked on strengthening his hands this offseason to get more zip on the ball. Hopefully this offseason he can also strengthen his core as a lot of strength comes from there.

Who knows how this will work out, but really looking forward to seeing this kid get 2 games in

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Because his name isn't "Tim Tebow."
    another useless shot!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Well, for once we agree - on Mel Kuyper anyway - since he's the first guy who said Tebow couldn't play.

On the other hand you're the guy who saw Tebow play only 1 full series as a Jet and decided he can't play. That's not enough to judge by. In comparison, McElroy got over a quarter of play in the Arizona game, which was enough for me to see that he's better than Sanchez at protecting the ball anyway. Too bad you can't be as open-minded about Tebow.
    sg3 is on a mission. He hates Tebow because it makes him feel like a comedian when he says worthless garbage about him. But we are not laughing with him, we are laughing at him. He has a love of Suckchez and does not care if the Jets win or lose as long as his hero plays. Don't let it bother you. We are used to his rantings!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is it about Kentucky...you..Demo.god knows who else...

Anyhow I am on a mission. I am a Jet fan not a fan of only one Jet.

My only mission is to try and see that team I root for get better, contend for and actually win a Superbowl again

And yes I thought Sanchez could be the QB to bring that about. For two years he looked promising. After a bad third year I hoped his regression was a one year aberration. I was wrong.

As for Teblow he has proven to be the disaster most Jet fans predicted. I hoped he could run the direct snap offense that Brad Smith ran successfully until 2011

I was wrong. Teblow sucks as a passer and also sucks as a runner. He being the back-up resulted in Sanchez beinf left out there for at least 5 games too many because anyone with eyes not clouded by idolatry could clearly see that Teblow is not an NFL player.

So yes I am on that mission to root for the Jets and hope they can rebound

They have taken a first big steo by making Greg McElroy, currently their only worthwhile QB the starting QB tomorrow.

The next big positive step is booting Teblow out the door after the Bills game.

Then the Jets can move on sanely towards 2013 and hopefully getting back on the road towards completing my mission for them some day

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2