Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can not McElroy Being a starter in this league?

Why can not McElroy Being a starter in this league?

Just want to hear from the JI braintrust here.

All I hear as this guy will never be a pro starter in the NFL from all the experts, believe we'd be in the playoffs with him as our starter, anyways...

I'm really rooting for McElroy, and I think he may not be a starter for most teams, But he can be a solid starter for the Jets. #1 he was drafted by the Jets #2 I don't see him turning the ball over, ESP as much as Sanchez or Tbow will. If Spano is smart, he'll roll him out quite a bit and use him to throw on the run...

#3 The Jets have a great D, so all they need is somebody to get first downs and not turn it over... I really wish we could have went with McElroy since the Cardnals game, but we'll never know

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JETZONI View Post

All I hear as this guy will never be a pro starter in the NFL from all the experts, believe we'd be in the playoffs with him as our starter, anyways...

I'm really rooting for McElroy, and I think he may not be a starter for most teams, But he can be a solid starter for the Jets. #1 he was drafted by the Jets #2 I don't see him turning the ball over, ESP as much as Sanchez or Tbow will. If Spano is smart, he'll roll him out quite a bit and use him to throw on the run...

#3 The Jets have a great D, so all they need is somebody to get first downs and not turn it over... I really wish we could have went with McElroy since the Cardnals game, but we'll never know

Thoughts?
    As awful a year this has been, I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy play. From what we've heard, he's definitely smart enough to play QB on the NFL level...it's his physical capabilities that are in question. If he shows he can stick throws, show accuracy, and avoid turnovers...I don't see why he couldn't be a starter for us in the future. I do realize that's a lot of categories he has to prove....but he can't do without getting a shot at least.

It would be a shame to go out and trade up for another QB without knowing what we have right in front of us. Who cares if he was a 7th round pick. Good QBs can come from anywhere in the draft. We have two first round QBs on our roster and they're both terrible.

Practice Squad
    Obviously the odds are stacked against him, the likelihood of him being successful are slim but not impossible.

I for one am very excited for sunday and will be ready for whatever happens. I expect some mistakes and some first start jitters. Hopefully he doesn't implode.

My biggest fear is they have an unbelievably short leash on him and I think that is not the right way to go. Now I'm not saying throw the ball forty times but give him the shot he deserves to prove whether or not he can be a capable QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Because his name isn't "Tim Tebow."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McElroy14 View Post
    Obviously the odds are stacked against him, the likelihood of him being successful are slim but not impossible.

I for one am very excited for sunday and will be ready for whatever happens. I expect some mistakes and some first start jitters. Hopefully he doesn't implode.

My biggest fear is they have an unbelievably short leash on him and I think that is not the right way to go. Now I'm not saying throw the ball forty times but give him the shot he deserves to prove whether or not he can be a capable QB.
    The Chargers have a decent run defense, fortunately same can't be said about their pass D. McElroy is going to have a good chance to sling it around a bit. And why not? We clearly have nothing to lose at this point.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Thoughts?
    Why not?

Arm Strength is my largest concern. He does not appear to have an NFL arm. He appears to have a Chad Pennington-post-2nd-injury type arm.

But, thats why they play the games, so we'll see Sunday. I, for one, am excited to see what he does with his chance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Why not?

Arm Strength is my largest concern. He does not appear to have an NFL arm. He appears to have a Chad Pennington-post-2nd-injury type arm.

But, thats why they play the games, so we'll see Sunday. I, for one, am excited to see what he does with his chance.
    That's not reallybased in fact. Only in perception. I think he has a better arm than people give him credit for. Brady, Montana, Brees are all examples of QBs that supposedly had weak arms. I think at this point his arm is a little better than Pennington pre injury. Hopefully they give him a real chance. I say why not let him throw it all over the field. Lets see what this kid can do. What have we got to lose? Sadly I can see them grounding and pounding with Greene, for no good reason, just like they did the last two games. I see no reason for anyone that will not be on the team next year to play another snap. I'd like to see Davis play OLB, and even Allen. Like to see what Braylon has left too, and get him some work with McElroy and White in the slot. Like to see Vlad take over for Moore. Coples, and Ellis should play the whole game too. Once again I don't see this happening. They will be as conservative as ever just to piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That's not reallybased in fact. Only in perception. I think he has a better arm than people give him credit for. Brady, Montana, Brees are all examples of QBs that supposedly had weak arms. I think at this point his arm is a little better than Pennington pre injury. Hopefully they give him a real chance. I say why not let him throw it all over the field. Lets see what this kid can do. What have we got to lose? Sadly I can see them grounding and pounding with Greene, for no good reason, just like they did the last two games. I see no reason for anyone that will not be on the team next year to play another snap. I'd like to see Davis play OLB, and even Allen. Like to see what Braylon has left too, and get him some work with McElroy and White in the slot. Like to see Vlad take over for Moore. Coples, and Ellis should play the whole game too. Once again I don't see this happening. They will be as conservative as ever just to piss me off.
    Because Rex doesn't believe in passing the ball or scoring points.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Lol his arm is no where near as strong as pre injured Pennington? I know everyone is excited about a new qb but come on. McElroy is a scrub and won't be playing for us next year.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Greg McElroy is 100% the answer for the 2013 NY Jets

He was drafted for this reason and will be the reason Rex and Tanny don't get fired.

Say what you will about Rex (actually please don't), but you MUST ADMIT he is undoubtedly one of the best defensive minds in all of football and will NEVER not be.

The Jets THRIVE ON DEFENSE and they believe in milking the clock & utilizing a power run-game... When those two click (great D, great run threat), it relieves pressure off the QB-- as you know, it helped Mark Sanchez immensely in his first two years; which in his defense, he's a very good PA qb & throws on the run too AND HIS OFFENSE DECLINED IN TALENT EVERY YEAR (not just stats)..

The Jets also never throw the ball down field.

Did you know the only QB that has thrown more INTs than Mark is ELI?! The reason for it is that Eli's picks are more often down field and on "timely risks". Eli led the NFL in 2011 in passes over 20+ yards (Mark was ranked 20th)..

Sanchez' playbook does not have nearly as many BIG time plays as Eli's and that's why when he throws a pick it's usually in horrendous timing AND a pick 6.

BUT WHATEVER!! Sanchez has gotten 0 help however his play has been pure dismal and he does not deserve to finish the season...

The Jets offense will thrive if they DONT TURN THE BALL OVER. They have an incredible defense (stop bringing up the Pats, they have Tom Brady and the best offense in the world- not to mention they cheat and we face them twice a year EVERY YEAR).

Greg McElroy WILL NOT turn the ball over. Our amazing defense + a good ground and pound + NO TURNOVERS by our QB = NY JET FOOTBALL.

Greg McElory has serious potential in NY and he damn sure knows how to win.

btw, if Tebow doesn't turn the ball over HE TOO could thrive on the Jets.. however Greg has earned the shot over Tebow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8

All League

Thoughts?
    While a guy with limitations (Pennington/McElroy) can be successful over a short period of time as a starter, they tend to struggle over long periods of time as teams learn to take advantage of their limitations. Pennington's arm strength was probably right on the line of "bare minimum" for an NFL QB.

While you don't have to have a Jeff George Cannon Arm to be successful, you do have to a "minimum" amount of arm strength to be successful. Montana didn't have a cannon, but he had enough arm strength to be a Hof'r.

With McElroy, the question is simple: Is his arm strong "enough?"

I watched him at training camp last year. Watching him throw next to Brunnell and Sanchize, his arm was significantly behind the other two. Allegedly, he improved in this area through training and weights. We will see in the next two games if it worked.

Bottom Line: I am skeptical.

One thing we should all take from GMac highlight reel is where he places the ball. You see him giving his receivers opportunities to make YAC by hitting them in stride. As I have said many times before, the kid is deadly accurate, unlike Mark. If you've watch Mark over the last two year his throws often time require the receivers to reach back or leave there feet and break there stride to make the catch. This is something I will be looking for tomorrow, personally I could care less if he can throw it sixty yards
    I will be looking for a smart thrower who makes quick decisions underneath which will easy the pressure on the O line and thus force more people in to coverage and open both the running game and allow a better chance at the deeper throws.
    Another thing to look for is his pocket presence, defenses now count on Mark panicking will pressure around him. Many times Mark has open guys right in front of him and never see them because he is in panic mode. There are other times when just sliding or stepping up would allow the extra few seconds for the receiver to get open.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While a guy with limitations (Pennington/McElroy) can be successful over a short period of time as a starter, they tend to struggle over long periods of time as teams learn to take advantage of their limitations. Pennington's arm strength was probably right on the line of "bare minimum" for an NFL QB.

While you don't have to have a Jeff George Cannon Arm to be successful, you do have to a "minimum" amount of arm strength to be successful. Montana didn't have a cannon, but he had enough arm strength to be a Hof'r.

I watched him at training camp last year. Watching him throw next to Brunnell and Sanchize, his arm was significantly behind the other two. Allegedly, he improved in this area through training and weights. We will see in the next two games if it worked.

My hope

He throws great, wins the next two, is named the starter in 13 and lights it up week after week including the playoffs.

Hopefully this will STFU all the bloviating JI couch arm strength"experts" all basing their expert analysis on their dog eared copies of Mel Kiper's always 100 percent accurate predictions

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

All Pro

This is a well thought out and reasonable post. Very rare on this site(refer to the post by Funzy above). I'm really looking forward to finding out as well. I'm waiting to see him attempt his first 15 yard out. I don't know where these arrogant posters get there insider knowledge considering we haven't seen McElroy throw a difficult pass as of yet.

Hall Of Fame

True. I would not be surprised if he had some success in these next two games. Like you said, once teams get some film on him an see his weakness they will game plan for it and it will be up to McElroy to see if he can beat it. I am very skeptical as well.

Because either:

A. "He was a seventh round draft pick!!!"

or

B. "He is just like Pennington" (Like this is a bad thing)

People suck. I can't wait to see Greg play these last two games, ESPECIALLY in December environments such as MetLife and The Ralph. We'll really see his arm now. If it can handle December games at these establishments, he's just fine for September-November and January.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My hope

He throws great, wins the next two, is named the starter in 13 and lights it up week after week including the playoffs.

Hopefully this will STFU all the bloviating JI couch arm strength"experts" all basing their expert analysis on their dog eared copies of Mel Kiper's always 100 percent accurate predictions

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Accurate predictions like yours that Mark Snachez will be leading the Jets to a Super Bowl 3-peat in 2014. LMAO, that was YOUR prediction just this past summer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quit stalking me on every thread you obsessed chowd jerk troll.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Only if you ignore the management team that drafted him. This is the same group that drafted Clemens, moved up to grab Sanchez and gave up a 4th for Tebow when it's not clear anyone else was even offering a pick.

The odds of winning pick 6 or if you will Poli and BB staff drafting a Brady and winning power ball, Tanny and Rex drafting the next Brady aren't exactly the same.

I love the rag arm to riches story but Mcelroy isn't just another 7th round QB drafted in the NFL. He is a 7th round QB drafted by Tannenbaum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post
    Greg McElroy is 100% the answer for the 2013 NY Jets

He was drafted for this reason and will be the reason Rex and Tanny don't get fired.

Say what you will about Rex (actually please don't), but you MUST ADMIT he is undoubtedly one of the best defensive minds in all of football and will NEVER not be.

The Jets THRIVE ON DEFENSE and they believe in milking the clock & utilizing a power run-game... When those two click (great D, great run threat), it relieves pressure off the QB-- as you know, it helped Mark Sanchez immensely in his first two years; which in his defense, he's a very good PA qb & throws on the run too AND HIS OFFENSE DECLINED IN TALENT EVERY YEAR (not just stats)..

The Jets also never throw the ball down field.

Did you know the only QB that has thrown more INTs than Mark is ELI?! The reason for it is that Eli's picks are more often down field and on "timely risks". Eli led the NFL in 2011 in passes over 20+ yards (Mark was ranked 20th)..

Sanchez' playbook does not have nearly as many BIG time plays as Eli's and that's why when he throws a pick it's usually in horrendous timing AND a pick 6.

BUT WHATEVER!! Sanchez has gotten 0 help however his play has been pure dismal and he does not deserve to finish the season...

The Jets offense will thrive if they DONT TURN THE BALL OVER. They have an incredible defense (stop bringing up the Pats, they have Tom Brady and the best offense in the world- not to mention they cheat and we face them twice a year EVERY YEAR).

Greg McElroy WILL NOT turn the ball over. Our amazing defense + a good ground and pound + NO TURNOVERS by our QB = NY JET FOOTBALL.

Greg McElory has serious potential in NY and he damn sure knows how to win.

btw, if Tebow doesn't turn the ball over HE TOO could thrive on the Jets.. however Greg has earned the shot over Tebow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8
    His arm does appear to get the job done. The only thing I would be careful of in this vid, is just like Chad all the deep passes are in the seam or the post. Where are the throws to the deep out or the far side. You know the one where he needs to get it 35 yards down the field to the opposite hash or sideline with the safety closing. After Bellicheat exposed Chad to this he was never as affective. I would love to see McKelroy take the #1 job. I think we all need to see more though.