Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why can not McElroy Being a starter in this league?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a starter tomorrow. We will talk after that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see how he does these next two games before jumping to any conclusions either way.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post
    Greg McElroy is 100% the answer for the 2013 NY Jets

He was drafted for this reason and will be the reason Rex and Tanny don't get fired.

Say what you will about Rex (actually please don't), but you MUST ADMIT he is undoubtedly one of the best defensive minds in all of football and will NEVER not be.

The Jets THRIVE ON DEFENSE and they believe in milking the clock & utilizing a power run-game... When those two click (great D, great run threat), it relieves pressure off the QB-- as you know, it helped Mark Sanchez immensely in his first two years; which in his defense, he's a very good PA qb & throws on the run too AND HIS OFFENSE DECLINED IN TALENT EVERY YEAR (not just stats)..

The Jets also never throw the ball down field.

Did you know the only QB that has thrown more INTs than Mark is ELI?! The reason for it is that Eli's picks are more often down field and on "timely risks". Eli led the NFL in 2011 in passes over 20+ yards (Mark was ranked 20th)..

Sanchez' playbook does not have nearly as many BIG time plays as Eli's and that's why when he throws a pick it's usually in horrendous timing AND a pick 6.

BUT WHATEVER!! Sanchez has gotten 0 help however his play has been pure dismal and he does not deserve to finish the season...

The Jets offense will thrive if they DONT TURN THE BALL OVER. They have an incredible defense (stop bringing up the Pats, they have Tom Brady and the best offense in the world- not to mention they cheat and we face them twice a year EVERY YEAR).

Greg McElroy WILL NOT turn the ball over. Our amazing defense + a good ground and pound + NO TURNOVERS by our QB = NY JET FOOTBALL.

Greg McElory has serious potential in NY and he damn sure knows how to win.

btw, if Tebow doesn't turn the ball over HE TOO could thrive on the Jets.. however Greg has earned the shot over Tebow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8
    True. Very true. I don't care what the detractors say, this kid will go down as Mike Tanenbaum's saving grace, or post-firing legacy.

There is no way McElroy doesn't win more games than he loses with a strong defense and solid OL and running game. Not a chance. To those that say we aren't in this business to win more games than we lose - we are in it for championships - I'm here to tell you that you aren't winning a darn thing at 6-10 every year. One of these days our beloved Jets (assuming a top 5 defense and strong running game under Rex and company) would bring home that trophy if they made the playoffs for the next 6 or 7 years like some franchises will.

If he were two inches taller and had a marginally stronger arm he would have went very early in the draft. If he had a very strong arm (like Ryan Mallet) he might have been a top 10 draft. You can keep Mallet. He's dumb as a rock and the Pats are trying to move him to Cleveland as we speak).

Since he doesn't have Doug Flutie type height or as weak an arm as his detractors say, I think he will be the most pleasant surprise Jet's fans have seen in a long time.
    Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 12-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That's not reallybased in fact. Only in perception. I think he has a better arm than people give him credit for. Brady, Montana, Brees are all examples of QBs that supposedly had weak arms. I think at this point his arm is a little better than Pennington pre injury. Hopefully they give him a real chance. I say why not let him throw it all over the field. Lets see what this kid can do. What have we got to lose? Sadly I can see them grounding and pounding with Greene, for no good reason, just like they did the last two games. I see no reason for anyone that will not be on the team next year to play another snap. I'd like to see Davis play OLB, and even Allen. Like to see what Braylon has left too, and get him some work with McElroy and White in the slot. Like to see Vlad take over for Moore. Coples, and Ellis should play the whole game too. Once again I don't see this happening. They will be as conservative as ever just to piss me off.
    No one ever said that those three had a weak arm. They had average NFL arms. They may not had "plus" arms, but there was no question that their arms were strong enough for the nfl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Kind of like weak arms hurt Montana and Young?

Actually against AZ I was surprised how much stronger his arm looked, didn't see one weak armed throw, his one attempt to zip the ball was a completion on a line. Lets see, there are plenty of stories of weak armed QB's who improved their arm strength through training and tweaking their mechanics. One is heading our division.
    Again, another guy that thinks Brady had a weak arm. he did not, he had an average arm that got better.,

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Again, another guy that thinks Brady had a weak arm. he did not, he had an average arm that got better.,
    Not in his first two years...

But that's besides the point, arm strength is something that a QB can enhance as time goes on. However, Accuracy (Tebow) and Decision making (Sanchez) is something that you cannot.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a Jet's fan for 45 years and if you've read my less than 20 posts on this board you would think I was related to McElroy - that how high I believe his ceiling is. I simply don't agree with most on what it takes to win games in this league. Note that I said win games, not championships, because that requires all kinds of things that you just can't predict. If QB talent was all that it took Aaron Rogers will end up with five rings.

To win games, which is the precursor to getting into the playoffs, which is the precursor to getting to the super bowl, I believe the formula is a balance between offense, defense and special teams. Arguably the defense was the only facet of this team that held up its end of the bargain. The offense and special teams were abysmal this year.

If McElroy can be efficient and not be a turnover machine and simply move the chains and let the other facets of the game do their jobs effectively we have a playoff team. If he should somehow turn into something unexpected we will have something more than that.

The biggest frustration I have as a fan is that most fans seem to think we can capture lighting in a bottle with an import like Moore, Flynn, Smith, (or even Kolb or Vick) or one of the higher rated QB's in the draft. I'm not buying any of it.

If McElroy proves to be a complete bust we are in some serious poop for years. If he can play the way we need him to play (just be efficient and don't turn the ball over) we will have an interesting team and not be ridiculed by the media.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we hold off the "saving grace" posts till after we see him start a full game? Lol, he's attempted 7 pass attempts in his entire career and yet some are ready to declare him the next savior of our doomed franchise.

All I gotta say is enjoy the game tomorrow...and give me some of whatever you're smokin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

But that's besides the point, arm strength is something that a QB can enhance as time goes on. However, Accuracy (Tebow) and Decision making (Sanchez) is something that you cannot.

Ummm, yes, you can indeed improve both accuracy and decision making.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    I've been a Jet's fan for 45 years and if you've read my less than 20 posts on this board you would think I was related to McElroy - that how high I believe his ceiling is. I simply don't agree with most on what it takes to win games in this league. Note that I said win games, not championships, because that requires all kinds of things that you just can't predict. If QB talent was all that it took Aaron Rogers will end up with five rings.

To win games, which is the precursor to getting into the playoffs, which is the precursor to getting to the super bowl, I believe the formula is a balance between offense, defense and special teams. Arguably the defense was the only facet of this team that held up its end of the bargain. The offense and special teams were abysmal this year.

If McElroy can be efficient and not be a turnover machine and simply move the chains and let the other facets of the game do their jobs effectively we have a playoff team. If he should somehow turn into something unexpected we will have something more than that.

The biggest frustration I have as a fan is that most fans seem to think we can capture lighting in a bottle with an import like Moore, Flynn, Smith, (or even Kolb or Vick) or one of the higher rated QB's in the draft. I'm not buying any of it.

If McElroy proves to be a complete bust we are in some serious poop for years. If he can play the way we need him to play (just be efficient and don't turn the ball over) we will have an interesting team and not be ridiculed by the media.
    I agree with absolutely everything but this. We're out from under Sanchez contract after 2013. We'll be fine after that whether or not McElroy works out. Like you though, I expect McElroy will be at least adequate until something better comes along. McElroy in 2013 can't possibly be worse than Sanchez in 2012. We don't have to blow things up. We just have to stop the bleeding at QB to get back into contention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And in addition

If GMAC is adequate or better the combo of his 7th round salary and Pickchez' overbloated 8 million results in a fairly friendly cap cost for QB in 2013.

And then Pickchez is GONE and we can get things back under control

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

Well, we will just disagree. Go and look at his college games, 20 yard outs on a rope. Did his arm get better yes, but it was never considered weak, He himself was considered weak without an NFL body, but his arm was not.

And accuracy and decision making is something that can be improved your first few year in the league. Some guys take a while to get the mechanics right. And a lot of decision making comes from experience in reading the coverage. What frustrates most jet fans is in Sanchez lack of progress in both areas over 4 years.
    Last edited by patman; 12-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

I posted this in another thread, but it is better here. The above report is Tom Brady's scouting report coming out of college. I'm interested what GMAC can do

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

I posted this in another thread, but it is better here. The above report is Tom Brady's scouting report coming out of college. I'm interested what GMAC can do
    which I said in a perevious post, while he lacked a realy strong arm- he had a nfl arm. There was more concerns about his overall body than his Arm.

And that is one of the most critical reviews of Brady by a scout. Most had him better, I think Kiper and Buschbaoum had him with a 4th rd grade

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always liked McElroy, the only knock on him has been his arm strength - which can improve to some degree as he matures. He is very smart and has alot of moxy.

He did win a national championship as a starting QB for Alabama which is often discounted by his critics, mainly because of other college QB's that have won college championships and then flopped in the NFL.

I believe these next two games will go a long way toward determining his future - with the Jets at least.

Anybody closing the door on McElroy without at least watching him get a few NFL starts under his belt is pretty foolish in my opinion. It's not like he started somewhere else and failed miserably, he has never gotten a chance - well this is his chance, hopefully he makes the most of it.

I am still kind of pissed at the organization for not leaving McElroy in as the starter 3 weeks ago when they put him in vs the Cardinals, that would have gave us a larger body of work to judge him on, 2 games really isn't much to go on, but it's something at least.

Quite honestly, I would really like to see McElroy be the starter for 2013 and give him a whole season to show what he's got - unless he totally falls on his face these next 2 games - which I don't believe will be the case.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.