Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now Brandon Moore may not return next year

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

And now Brandon Moore may not return next year

Brandon Moore has a hunch Sunday might be his last home game as a member of the Jets. He wants to focus on the Chargers, but the thought has crossed his mind.

The veteran guard, the longest-tenured player on offense, will be a free agent. The Jets are headed for a tumultuous offseason, and there are no guarantees.

"We haven't had any conversations," Moore said, meaning with the front office. "There are a lot of things going on around here. If I go off what's happened so far, I probably won't be back."

Asked if he wants to return to the Jets, Moore said, "This is all I know. It's home for me, but I'll definitely explore all options."

Moore has had a remarkable career. He was an undrafted defensive lineman out of Illinois, made the switch to offense and caught on with the Jets in 2003. He was discovered by former OL Doug Marrone, the current Syracuse coach, who always told Moore that he'd outlast everybody and would carry the flag on the field when the new stadium opened in 2010. Marrone was right.

Moore has started 135 consecutive games, the most of any offensive lineman in the NFL. He's like an old pick-up truck, rugged and dependable. He made the Pro Bowl last season, a long-overdue honor.

He has played for four line coaches, three head coaches and two general managers. During his time on the line, the Jets have made four playoff appearances -- 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2010. He was part of the fantastic line in '09, when it led the league in rushing and dominated at the line.

Teammate D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who has made 110 consecutive starts, praised Moore's professionalism -- a "pro's pro," he called him. He said Moore prepares, mentally and physically, as well as anybody he knows.

"His work on the field is a testament to what he's doing when nobody is watching," Ferguson said. "If people were to emulate what he did, I think the standard would rise."

Moore said he'll be too focused on the game to engage in any special reflection.

"I'll enjoy running out of the tunnel like I always do," he said. "I always have moments where I say to myself, 'Where else would you rather be? You're living your dream and a lot of other people's dreams.' Those will be my thoughts."

Fittingly, Moore was named Friday the Jets' Walter Payton Man of the Year. The Payton award recognizes excellence in community service. He's eligible to win the national Payton award, which will be presented at the Super Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

You know...like Sanchez did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is just his way of saying he wants multiple years on his contract.

"There are a lot of things going on around here. If I go off what's happened so far, I probably won't be back."
    Definitely an indictment on Rex/Tanny/Woody.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-22-2012 at 08:08 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore is a great Jet, but his best years are well past him. If the Jets go in a different direction at Guard, I will not be upset.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be swell to loose our best run blocking OL when he's still got another year or two in the tank.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Wouldn't it be swell to loose our best run blocking OL when he's still got another year or two in the tank.
    Another way to look at it ... wouldn't it be swell in a year or two's time, when we find our next QB, to get him killed because we're starting a rookie on the OL?

Next year we need to look at as a transitional year ... bring in youth and get them some experience.

I'm a BIG fan of Moore, I got to see him lay in NFL Europe before anyone even knew who he was, and have been thrilled with his production for the Jets over the years. But age and injury are catching up on him, as they do with all players. At some point you have to know when to move on.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The quicker they work on a replacement the better. lbs too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore has started 135 consecutive games, the most of any offensive lineman in the NFL. He's like an old pick-up truck, rugged and dependable. He made the Pro Bowl last season, a long-overdue honor.
    Didn't know that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering our GM is all but fired does he expect any talks from the front office right now? There is only 3 guys IMO we need back him being the easiest to actually get back. Give him 3 years 8-9mil easy. I honestly don't see him having an issue with that #.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Another way to look at it ... wouldn't it be swell in a year or two's time, when we find our next QB, to get him killed because we're starting a rookie on the OL?

Next year we need to look at as a transitional year ... bring in youth and get them some experience.

I'm a BIG fan of Moore, I got to see him lay in NFL Europe before anyone even knew who he was, and have been thrilled with his production for the Jets over the years. But age and injury are catching up on him, as they do with all players. At some point you have to know when to move on.
    He was hobbled at the end of 2010 and most of last year with a back injury, true, but this year he has looked like the Moore of old. I think he has another two years of top level RG play left in the tank and it would be foolish of this organization to let him go. We definitely must address the OL in the draft (RT, LG), but RG should not be one of those positions. Right now our only G signed for 2013 I believe is Vlad Ducasse, unless the famous Caleb Schaldsdghapgaga has another year left.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vlad will probably take his spot next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

You know...like Sanchez did.
    If Moore isn't tossed around like a rag doll on that play, Mark gets back to the line of scrimmage.

If I'm Brandon I don't want to face Wilfork 2x a season anymore either.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Vlad will probably take his spot next year.
    Might as well keep Sanchez in there if that's the solution. Just get him taken off on a stretcher and go from there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore and Slauson will both get a lot of play in FA. If Donald Thomas moves on from the pats for a starting gig, Moore will be a nice fit.

Once you get past the 2 bills guards and Harris from Tenn the FA guard market
    is very weak, Hadnot might get some play. But the guys who are left are going to get overpaid IMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    and if he leaves tanny will replace him with some bum from someone's practice squad

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    and if he leaves tanny will replace him with some bum from someone's practice squad
    Or worse......Vlad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to rebuild. Thats why he is not coming back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Or worse......Vlad
    Or worse Slauson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Or worse Slauson.
    I would feel much better with Slauson over Vlad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore has been a solid lineman, the Jets better have a capable replacement if they let him go. Their recent track record hasn't been great replacing capable vets.