Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trevor Pryce: Nice-Guy Ryan Gets in the Way of Coach Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    There is a large step between "good guy" and "horrible human being"

Rex's problem is that he is too loyal. He strikes as the kind of coach who will be really successful in his 2nd HC job. Sadly, that doesn't help the Jets a lot. Also, he never even had a decent backup QB (Clemens, Old Brunell, Tebow), whether you think that's on him, Tannenbaum, or both (My opinion) - that's part of the reason Sanchez has gotten so many opportunities to succeed.
    I agree that good guy and terrible are two VERY different things. As a coach it's your JOB to play the players, higher the best coaches and bench players and fire coaches when it's time to do so.

If you're playing guys because of your loyalty your being selfish and not properly representing the organization and its fans.

I think this also has alot to do with how bad Rex looks in some of his press conferences. Besides being too nice a guy to throw his players under the bus, he is not comfortable with Lying. Guys like Belichek and Parcells have no problem looking the reporters in the eye and lying through their teeth. Ryan starts to squirm and dance around inconvienient truths, like when asked if he still believes Sanchez can be a winning QB

I had a felling about that for a long time now. He's loyal to the point where it becomes a bad thing. Rex doesn't know when to cut the cord.

It makes it appear as though he has more loyalty to some player than he does to the most important - WINNING.

I'm not ready to give up on Rex Ryan as the HC yet. If his biggest problem is loyalty to a fault? Then, it should be no problem for Woody to keep Rex around.

I just demand seeing as we go on that he has truly learned from the mistakes that he made with loyalty and Sanchez. WINNING is the only thing that Rex Ryan should be loyal to a fault with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I had a felling about that for a long time now. He's loyal to the point where it becomes a bad thing. Rex doesn't know when to cut the cord.

It makes it appear as though he has more loyalty to some player than he does to the most important - WINNING.

I'm not ready to give up on Rex Ryan as the HC yet. If his biggest problem is loyalty to a fault? Then, it should be no problem for Woody to keep Rex around.

I just demand seeing as we go on that he has truly learned from the mistakes that he made with loyalty and Sanchez. WINNING is the only thing that Rex Ryan should be loyal to a fault with.
    +1 What made it even harder for Rex Sanchez used to go to his son's games and root him on.. He has to separate his personal and business lives..

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Not naming names, but there are some people on this board that want Rex fired and Sanchez to stay. Given that excuse of Sanchez needs more time to grow.

What people forget is that Rex is also a rookie HC. And I think that this season will be a wake up call for him.
    I thought last season was supposed to be a wake up call for him?

And getting rid of Schotty and hiring his choice for OC in Sparano was going to cure all?
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Not naming names, but there are some people on this board that want Rex fired and Sanchez to stay. Given that excuse of Sanchez needs more time to grow.

What people forget is that Rex is also a rookie HC. And I think that this season will be a wake up call for him.
    Goodness; is that phone still ringing?

Get rid of Wrecks

While he was guarranting Super Bowls to the thousands of Jets fans and to his own players, he was really guarranting employment to the incompetents. What a betrayal of trust to those who really really trusted in him for the past four years. We thought that we would have a team to be proud of and not the laughing stock of the NFL.
    What do the few quality Jets players do when they are surrounded by incompetent players and coaches. Simple. They leave.
    So what we have are more and more holes in our team every year. There are too many holes now. It will take years to get us a play off contender. And that is only if Wrecks and his incompetents are out now.
    We need a HC who evaluates players and coaches well.
    Last edited by Stillafan; 12-22-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Rex is Wade Phillips.
    Huh? Phillips wishes he had Rex's record as an HC.

The shot of Rex consoling sanchez in the locker room after the arizona game was the most disturbing coach/player shot I have ever seen. Is Rex his coach or father? I think the man should be fired for the decision to not dress Mcelroy last monday and start him this week

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 What made it even harder for Rex Sanchez used to go to his son's games and root him on.. He has to separate his personal and business lives..
    This is the biggest problem with Rex and Sanchez. Rex thought of Sanchez as his son, not a player that worked for him.

Case 1: After benching Sanchez in Arizona, the video of Rex at Marks locker, rubbing his back, putting his arm around him, and whispering encouragement in this ear. Very Dad like.

Case 2: At the end of the Tennessee game, after Mark throws 4 picks and right before the fumble, Mark is on the sideline. Rex reaches over and pats Mark on the butt. He probably said something like "Come on, son. Go get em". Again very dad like.