Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So who is gonna play OLB for us next season?

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the combine is going to make or break a lot of these players as far as draft position. courtney upshaw slid all the way to the 2nd last year because of his combine numbers

Upshaw was thought to go late 1st - early 2nd. He was never considered a top 5 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think it would serve the team well going to a 4-3. That allow us to re-tool the defense to one based on LB speed and a pass rush of 4 (not blitz dependent). Both are needed in the modern pass-happy NFL.

Also with 3 LB likely not returning in 2013 (Scott, Pace, Thomas) it's a logical time to make the switch.
    100% & couldn't agree more.

We want Coples to develop into a double-digit sack guy. That's probably never going to happen if his job is occupying Guards and Centers as a 3-4 DE but as a 4-3 DE he can do that. The whole interior rush argument is played out he can rush inside through the B gap matched up with a Right Tackle.

Khaseem Green from Rutgers is as safe a 1st round pick you can make and he's gonna be good for us at OLB in a 4-3.

If we switch to a 4-3, we wont need an OLB.

Demario Davis will be that guy

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    If we switch to a 4-3, we wont need an OLB.

Demario Davis will be that guy
    SLB or WLB? and who is the other backer besides harris

I don't understand how people think that a 4-3 will be any better than a 3-4 as far as retooling goes. We still would need two new defensive ends as opposed to two new OLBs. Unless people think Wilk can play 4-3 DE, or maybe Coples. But both would be a waste in my opinion. DT is their natural spot in 4-3 and if you use them both at DT, you waste Kenrick Ellis. I say just go get two OLBs and be done with it.
    Last edited by TheMo; 12-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I don't understand how people think that a 4-3 will be any better than a 3-4 as far as retooling goes. We still would need two new defensive ends as opposed to two new OLBs. Unless people think Wilk can play 4-3 DE, I just really think his talent would be totally wasted at that position.
    Coples is definitely 4-3 DE qualified and probably McIntrye although he's really more of a depth guy anyway in either scheme. So Jets need 1 DE.

Versus needing 2x 3-4 OLB and 1x ILB and Coples never being a big sack guy bc he's occupying blockers his entire career. The bill of good Mangina sold us 6 years ago lives on proudly about the 3-4 being the only scheme you can win with.

All Pro
    Anthony Spencer is having an all pro season, I dont think we will get for a reasonable price.

Im new to this forum.Hello everybody, Happy Holidays. Dion Jordon,Dion Jordon, Dion Jordon. Were going to make every effort to move up and get this guy, including trading Revis. 6'7", fluid athlete, can cover, great first step.A little raw,but will still make a big impact as a rookie

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Coples is definitely 4-3 DE qualified and probably McIntrye although he's really more of a depth guy anyway in either scheme. So Jets need 1 DE.

Versus needing 2x 3-4 OLB and 1x ILB and Coples never being a big sack guy bc he's occupying blockers his entire career. The bill of good Mangina sold us 6 years ago lives on proudly about the 3-4 being the only scheme you can win with.

I wouldn't be surprised if we could re-sign Pace to a reasonable contract to be a 4-3 DE.

Jets Insider VIP
    I wouldn't be surprised if we could re-sign Pace to a reasonable contract to be a 4-3 DE.
    If Pace isn't the slowest OLB in the league...he's close.

Hall Of Fame
    That is very likely, since Pace has around 3.5 million in dead money even if he is cut, I could see the Jets bringing him in for around 4 million.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Im new to this forum.Hello everybody, Happy Holidays. Dion Jordon,Dion Jordon, Dion Jordon. Were going to make every effort to move up and get this guy, including trading Revis. 6'7", fluid athlete, can cover, great first step.A little raw,but will still make a big impact as a rookie
    We will not need to move up to get Jordan if we go OLB in the 1st. I like him as a cover linebacker but wouldn't do much to help the pass rush IMO. I don't think he well give good enough value in the 1st. Not unless we trade back. If one of the big 3 QBs is still there we'd be nuts to make that call IMO. Monty or Mingo OK but I doubt we see either. There are so many good 2-4 rounders at OLB this year. I'd actually rather Simon or Jones who will go later and have better pass rush ability.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    If Pace isn't the slowest OLB in the league...he's close.
    Agreed. There's no way he should be trying to keep up with fleet footed receivers anymore. But as a run-stuffing DE Pace would be fine. He's got the strength and talent to do that for another year or two. That's all the time the Jets would need to make the transition to the 4-3.

And, as sec101 mentioned, we've got dead cap money if he's cut so why not try and get something productive out of him instead.

Dreamers

I respectfully disagree with you. Jordon wasn't asked to rush the passer much, but when he did he'showed great burst and closing speed. His frame will allow him to add more bulk, to get off blocks. Mingo has bust written all over him.With his speed and athletic ability his production was a joke. JORDON WILL BE Drafted ahead of Mingo.Jordon needs to bulk up and learn more pass rush moves, but i think he's the better prospect. I could be wrong of course

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    One of our biggest problems going into the offseason and also a problem position for quite some time now is at outside linebacker. Pace and BT have gotten old rather quickly recently and definitely on the downside of their careers. I think it is fair to assume that neither of those guys will be starting for us next year, maybe Pace comes back on a cheap deal but I wouldn't count on it.

So that leaves the question: Who will play OLB for us next year?! It seems the only real in house option would be to start Garrett McIntyre who will never be a special player but does his job when he was counted on. Solid against the run and made some plays rushing the passer. Again, he should rather be a backup but we can only fill so many holes in the offseason.

I think it is fairly obvious we will draft a pass rusher as the draft is deep there and most starting free agent options (like Anthony Spencer) should be too expansive.
    Someone through FA or the draft I'd imagine. Davis will definitely be a starter as I cannot see Bart Scott lasting through another offseason. It's the biggest problem area right now for the defense. Our defense could easily be top 5 overall with a couple of young and talented linebackers.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Coples made his draft rank based on the season before his last, where he played DT beating guards on the inside. I am no expert tho, so if the consensus is that Coples can be a 4-3 DE, 4-3 is the way to go.

As for 3-4 Davis was drafted to play ILB. So really we are just replacing two OLBs. I am merely pointing out that it will be just as much work, if not possibly more (Coples/Ellis issue), to transition to a 4-3. I think people see it as some magical pill that will cause us to have less issues, and that's simply not true.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    About where do you think he will go, Most have him top 5
    Before the Jets pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I don't understand how people think that a 4-3 will be any better than a 3-4 as far as retooling goes. We still would need two new defensive ends as opposed to two new OLBs. Unless people think Wilk can play 4-3 DE, or maybe Coples. But both would be a waste in my opinion. DT is their natural spot in 4-3 and if you use them both at DT, you waste Kenrick Ellis. I say just go get two OLBs and be done with it.

DL rotate frequently so Ellis, Coples, Wilkerson would all play a lot. Also Wilkerson and Coples could kick out to DE occasionally so you'd have a lot of flexibility with that scheme.

I don't think there would be any problem finding minutes for everybody in a 4-3.