Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who is gonna play OLB for us next season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So who is gonna play OLB for us next season?

One of our biggest problems going into the offseason and also a problem position for quite some time now is at outside linebacker. Pace and BT have gotten old rather quickly recently and definitely on the downside of their careers. I think it is fair to assume that neither of those guys will be starting for us next year, maybe Pace comes back on a cheap deal but I wouldn't count on it.

So that leaves the question: Who will play OLB for us next year?! It seems the only real in house option would be to start Garrett McIntyre who will never be a special player but does his job when he was counted on. Solid against the run and made some plays rushing the passer. Again, he should rather be a backup but we can only fill so many holes in the offseason.

I think it is fairly obvious we will draft a pass rusher as the draft is deep there and most starting free agent options (like Anthony Spencer) should be too expansive.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever it is whether a FA a drafted player or a current backup

The linebackers can't be worse than Thomas Scott and Pace

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will have to address this through the draft and free agency. I am hoping the new coach will install a 4-3. This way, we only need to find one olb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jarvis jones, bjoern werner, damontre moore, or mingo

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like McIntyre on this team. The guy seems to give it his all. We need guys like that. He is hungry and I love it. I do believe the D is close to being pretty good, or better than they are right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Jarvis jones, bjoern werner, damontre moore, or mingo
    If the jets lose these last two games 2 of them should be available. If they win
    the last two and finish at 20 maybe Mingo may still be there.

This is if Jones' stenosis checks out, if not he may drop out of the first even if a team can't be sure he will finish out the 4 years.

The kid i like for the jets is Jalani Jenkins
    Last edited by patman; 12-22-2012 at 06:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we get Spencer or Shaun Phillips. Phillips I'd think would be out of our price range but may be the easier get. He is from NJ and is over 30. Spencer is not as good but younger. I really think we end up with one of them with a relatively cheap 3-4 year deal. Out side of that I would hit this draft hard from round 2 on. I'd love to see John Simon in the 2nd and Carradine in the 4th but that is a dream. Really looking down the line I'd take just about any big school DE/OLB coming out right now.

Simon, Jones, Chase Thomas, Brandon Jenkins, Ansah, Easley, Carradine, Hunt, Gholston, Edwards, Cornelius Washington even Devon Taylor would all be pretty good picks to fill OLB spots IMO.

So I'll say our lineup ends up looking like this Phillips, Simon, Hunt, McIntyre, and maybe an UDFA John Youboty is worth an invite IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Damontre Moore

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I like McIntyre on this team. The guy seems to give it his all. We need guys like that. He is hungry and I love it. I do believe the D is close to being pretty good, or better than they are right now.
    We need guys like that on STs, not starting for the D. Eric Smith gives it his all, too. Want him to be the starting safety next year, 'cause I don't.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    We need guys like that on STs, not starting for the D. Eric Smith gives it his all, too. Want him to be the starting safety next year, 'cause I don't.
    Yes, I agree. I don't want smith in there either. U hit the nail on the head... Special teams and role players. I want guys that would bite the ear off someone to get on the playing field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Damontre Moore

About where do you think he will go, Most have him top 5

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    About where do you think he will go, Most have him top 5
    the combine is going to make or break a lot of these players as far as draft position. courtney upshaw slid all the way to the 2nd last year because of his combine numbers

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone sign Aaron Maybin?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Khaseem Greene from Rutgers and switch to a 4-3. Love the guy's game I think it will translate well to the NFL where defense is all about speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Mack is a likeable player. Tough, gritty and has absolutely no hype. That said he can play DE in a 4-3 (he plays DE in 4 man fronts all the time) and would probably be more effective in that role.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before i can aswer that question i need to know who the HC and defensive coordinator is going to be and what scheme we will be using as the base defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Before i can aswer that question i need to know who the HC and defensive coordinator is going to be and what scheme we will be using as the base defense.
    Rex will be back as HC. Have no idea who will be DC just don't hire Sutton.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Khaseem Greene from Rutgers and switch to a 4-3. Love the guy's game I think it will translate well to the NFL where defense is all about speed.
    agree hes a beast.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We will have to address this through the draft and free agency.
    really. where else would they do it through.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I think it would serve the team well going to a 4-3. That allow us to re-tool the defense to one based on LB speed and a pass rush of 4 (not blitz dependent). Both are needed in the modern pass-happy NFL.

Also with 3 LB likely not returning in 2013 (Scott, Pace, Thomas) it's a logical time to make the switch.