Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Besides defense what is Rex Ryan good at as HC

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    What was finger gate again?
    flew the bird to a bunch of lowlife Fins fans, just like any self respecting Jets fan would do

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Rex is a field general, true to his team and his word, people fight for him and yes, some take advantage but compare your boss to Rex, who would you rather work for? you know Rex would have your back and would do anything he could to help you succeed - the rest is on you; Smith, Maybin, Sanchez...

Beat the Pats at home after getting destroyed by that same team a few weeks before... all Rex

People like Trevor Pryce have respect for the man, there is a reason, so let's give him some credit

I would much rather work for Rex than my boss. My boss demands I give results. If I slack off I'm going to be fired. I am certain I could make friends with Rex and get away with murder.

The answer to the question is simple. He wins more games than he loses even when his faults have been exposed, and the faults of those whose jobs are to supply him with good talent are exposed.

Think about all of the so-called Super Bowl contenders who fail year after year. Recent examples are the Chargers, Ravens and most recently, the Eagles. When those teams fall short, they fall really short. They wet the bed big time (the Ravens are more like the Jets - perhaps less bed wetters than the others, but lately that is arguable.) IT appears that the Ravens are going quietly into the goodnight).

I want to keep Rex around another year because when his teams crap out they finish at worst .500 (and this team should win the last two games even if the team plays poorly).

It's about perspective. Those that have been real fans of our team for more than 5 years know what a truly bad team is. I, for one, am not ready to go back to the days of a 1-4 win team. I'd rather have a shot at sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 and let the chips fall where they may.

Not every team can be like the Patriots. Winning 11-15 games every gosh darn year is unrealistic. It simply doesn't happen.

What I want is to see what could happen next year on Rex's watch without game wreckers like Sanchez. If you saw Rex's face when he met Sanchez at mid-field after the Titans loss you could read his mind. What he was thinking was "If you didn't turn the ball over 5 times I wouldn't have had to fight for my job you effing loser". Who could argue with that logic?

One more year I give him and Mike T. You can't fire Mr. T without firing Rex and that is why I keep them both.

It's really hard to win 9 or 10 wins in this league and that's why the greatest single quote I ever hear in 45 years of watching sports was when Tom Caughlin told the reporter to kiss his ass when asked if he thought he could be fired after winning ten games. He won the super bowl the next year.

Perspective. Rex came close a few times which is more than can be said for the great majority of the other 31 teams in the league. Most franchises have no hope. We, at least, had some hope during his regime, and I am willing to gamble on one more year to see if this guy can right the ship. It can get alot worse. There doesn't appear to be the next Andrew Luck or RGIII in the draft to save anyone's ass going forward. I say we stay the course.

It seems to me that Snell41 is related to SAR?

Another lame attempt at ridiculously exaggerating the facts so he can present Rex as this bum.

I could go on and on about how at least half of the points he makes are either irrelevant/ not factual/ or just plain grasping at straws.

Rex Ryan has things he needs to work on. Anyone who pays attention to the Jets knows that. But to completely embellish the facts is just plain wrong.

Snell also gives absolutely NO effort to point out any of the good things he's done since being in NY. So once again just another half truth.

I've weighed out all of the pros and cons involved with Rex and have come to the conclusion that he should be given another season to try and turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Another lame attempt at ridiculously exaggerating the facts so he can present Rex as this bum.

I could go on and on about how at least half of the points he makes are either irrelevant/ not factual/ or just plain grasping at straws.

Rex Ryan has things he needs to work on. Anyone who pays attention to the Jets knows that. But to completely embellish the facts is just plain wrong.

Snell also gives absolutely NO effort to point out any of the good things he's done since being in NY. So once again just another half truth.

I've weighed out all of the pros and cons involved with Rex and have come to the conclusion that he should be given another season to try and turn things around.
    So go ahead. Prove my points as irrelevant or not factual. Does he know anything about offense? Does he not stick with players past the point of their value? Does he manage a game well? Does he not embarrass us repeatedly with SB promises and footgate and fingergate? Does he do anything besides fielding a solid defense well? Go ahead, I'm waiting.

And for the record, Rex is currently 34-29 in the regular season thus far, with the last 2 seasons(his team) missing the playoffs entirely. Am I to jump for joy over this?

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    So go ahead. Prove my points as irrelevant or not factual. Does he know anything about offense? Does he not stick with players past the point of their value? Does he manage a game well? Does he not embarrass us repeatedly with SB promises and footgate and fingergate? Does he do anything besides fielding a solid defense well? Go ahead, I'm waiting.

And for the record, Rex is currently 34-29 in the regular season thus far, with the last 2 seasons(his team) missing the playoffs entirely. Am I to jump for joy over this?
    Name me the NFL Head Coaches who have mastered both sides of the football. I will do you a favor and name you one: Bill Belichick.

Ok and who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Rex is a flawed head coach but he is not the problem. The problem is our FO not properly evaluating players especially at OL and skill positions. Get us a QB and some WR's.

Our D will be fine next yr especially when Revis comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Name me the NFL Head Coaches who have mastered both sides of the football. I will do you a favor and name you one: Bill Belichick.

Ok and who else?
    I agree. Most coaches don't specialize in both sides of the ball. But name me one other coach beside Rex that is so strongly tied to one side of the ball? Rex has zero value anywhere except as a DC. Where is his value outside of defense? I'm asking honestly.

You shouldn't jump for joy over the 34-29 record (and counting) but you shouldn't dismiss it entirely either. Show me the next coach that will achieve a substantially better record than that and I will personally drive Rex back to wherever the hell he came from.

One more year for him without the worst QB performer in the league is fair. if he fails again, run him out of town on a rail. The Jets aren't the Yankees whereby it is championship or bust. It doesn't work that way in the NFL. Just ask the truckload of great coaches Daniel Snyder has hired and fired during his career (including Gibbs) how easy it is to win games. Ask Parcells with the Cowboys and the Dolphins how easy it is to win games. Ask the hotshot great college coaches brought into the league (Butch Davis, Saban) how easy it is to win games. Ask the highly respected coordinators that have failed as HC's how easy it is to win games.

It ain't easy. One more year.

I agree. Most coaches don't specialize in both sides of the ball. But name me one other coach beside Rex that is so strongly tied to one side of the ball? Rex has zero value anywhere except as a DC. Where is his value outside of defense? I'm asking honestly.
    Newsflash: just about every NFL HC is tied to one side of the ball. Tom Coughlin is an offensive guru and has been his entire career since being a Wide Receiver Coach under Parcells. Jim Harbaugh with the 49ers is just a glorified QB Coach. Difference between Harbuagh and Rex is Harbaugh has the personnel this year.

What do you want besides Rex? Cowher and Gruden are not coming here in a million years. Maybe we can hire some mediocre OC or DC who are similarly tied to one side of the ball except unlike Rex they won't be good at it.

Awesome plan.

OK let me put it this way. We are pretty much all in agreement that Tanny should be gone. So, what does Rex bring to the table that makes him so worthwhile that we should severely limit our GM candidates because we want to force Rex on whomever we hire as GM? A GM wants to bring in his own staff from scouting to coaching. By telling a GM that Rex MUST stay, we are severely limiting our options at GM. So again what does Rex bring that makes it so worthwhile that we should be handicapping ourselves at GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    You shouldn't jump for joy over the 34-29 record (and counting) but you shouldn't dismiss it entirely either.
    Maybe they should jump over joy over Kotite going 4-28 in 2 years or Mangina going 23-25. Groh went 9-7 before skipping out of town to get a cush job in Virgnia.

OK let me put it this way. We are pretty much all in agreement that Tanny should be gone. So, what does Rex bring to the table that makes him so worthwhile that we should severely limit our GM candidates because we want to force Rex on whomever we hire as GM? A GM wants to bring in his own staff from scouting to coaching. By telling a GM that Rex MUST stay, we are severely limiting our options at GM. So again what does Rex bring that makes it so worthwhile that we should be handicapping ourselves at GM?
    Tanny should not be fired. It should not be held against him that this idiot owner wanted his politcal hero Tebow as soon as he became available. Tanny has a decent record as a NFL GM. He had one bad draft in 2010 other than that the drafts have rnaged ok to good. Would you rather have the Browns or Bills GM?

Tanny should not be fired. It should not be held against him that this idiot owner wanted his politcal hero Tebow as soon as he became available. Tanny has a decent record as a NFL GM. He had one bad draft in 2010 other than that the drafts have rnaged ok to good. Would you rather have the Browns or Bills GM?
    I've heard otherwise on Tebow, but who knows to be honest.

But know this-what you are proposing is to keep 2 people who's jobs will be on the line to make decisions on the long term well being of the team.

I've heard otherwise on Tebow, but who knows to be honest.

But know this-what you are proposing is to keep 2 people who's jobs will be on the line to make decisions on the long term well being of the team.
    It's Capitalism buddy. Work hard, get results or go away.

This might be Rex's first losing season in 4 years as a NFL HC. And you want him fired? He absolutely deserves at least one more season and I don't give a sh_t what the media says.

It's Capitalism buddy. Work hard, get results or go away.

This might be Rex's first losing season in 4 years as a NFL HC. And you want him fired? He absolutely deserves at least one more season and I don't give a sh_t what the media says.
    If Tannenbaum goes you must let a new GM bring his own guys in, meaning Rex likely goes.

What you're proposing is we keep Tanny and in turn keep Rex. We are now a team without a QB, without 3 of our starting LB's, without both Safeties, and decisions to make on the OL, TE, RB and WR as well as Revis. Tanny and Rex will be clamoring to save their jobs for another year by doing whatever it takes to field a respectable team in 2013. Backloading contracts, trading draft picks, signing overrated QB's to high priced contracts (Vick for example), whatever it takes. We are a fragile team right now. Trying to field a respectable team in 2013 will take quite a bit of sacrifice in the long term. A new regime can do this without repercussion. Tanny and Rex can not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    You shouldn't jump for joy over the 34-29 record (and counting) but you shouldn't dismiss it entirely either. Show me the next coach that will achieve a substantially better record than that and I will personally drive Rex back to wherever the hell he came from.

One more year for him without the worst QB performer in the league is fair. if he fails again, run him out of town on a rail. The Jets aren't the Yankees whereby it is championship or bust. It doesn't work that way in the NFL. Just ask the truckload of great coaches Daniel Snyder has hired and fired during his career (including Gibbs) how easy it is to win games. Ask Parcells with the Cowboys and the Dolphins how easy it is to win games. Ask the hotshot great college coaches brought into the league (Butch Davis, Saban) how easy it is to win games. Ask the highly respected coordinators that have failed as HC's how easy it is to win games.

It ain't easy. One more year.
    Add Mike Holmgren to that list.

The owner is an idiot I agree, but he wanted one player. To blame our lack of personnel on offense based on getting Tebow is not even a comparable argument anyway. The rest of the personnel decisions were up to Tanny/Rex. The problem with Tanny is he wouldn't know a talented football player if he fell on him. Why do you think our drafts looked better under Mangini compared to Rex? The reason is because Tanny will draft whoever the coach asks for....so in essence he's not even a GM anyway. What Tanny has failed at though more than anything is bad contracts & giving/extending contracts for the wrong players.

Ok and who else?
    Give Rex Ryan Tom Brady, and Rex would master offense also.