Swisher leaves for Cleveland

An Early Xmas

Jason Bay 2.0 for the Indians

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    An Early Xmas

Jason Bay 2.0 for the Indians

Indeed. Hated every second he was on the team. Biggest d bag ever to don the pinstripes...

Excellent regular season player. Does nothing in the playoffs. But still I don't get the hate.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Excellent regular season player. Does nothing in the playoffs. But still I don't get the hate.
    Above average regular season player who feasted on bottom feeder pitching.

Horrendous post season player.

World class d bag. The sight of him made me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Above average regular season player who feasted on bottom feeder pitching.

Horrendous post season player.

World class d bag. The sight of him made me nauseous.
    Is he really a douche? I heard one story about a fan approaching him and him being a dork but I haven't heard about him being a Barry Bonds-esque headcaase.

Swisher is a pretty genuine guy IMO...he always seemed to act the same whatever the situation was. He probably wasnt the sharpest guy to wear pinstripes, but he seemed to really enjoy playing here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Is he really a douche? I heard one story about a fan approaching him and him being a dork but I haven't heard about him being a Barry Bonds-esque headcaase.
    We likely have differing definitions of the term. Barry Bonds was an a-hole.

I despised how Swisher carried himself. Just not the kind of ball player I respect. Too chummy with the opposition. Too happy-go-lucky after personal and/or team failures. The open pandering for that all star spot on twitter. The faux hawk.

But mostly because he sucked when it mattered most.

I hope he enjoys Cleveland. I prefer Ichiro.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well, I liked Swisher. He wasn't selfish, he wasn't uptight, he didn't have his head up his ass like most big name major leaguers. He knew he was lucky to be playing a boys' game for a living and enjoyed every second of it. I appreciated his attitude and his approach towards the game.

And he got big money too. Good for him. I wish him well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Well, I liked Swisher. He wasn't selfish, he wasn't uptight, he didn't have his head up his ass like most big name major leaguers. He knew he was lucky to be playing a boys' game for a living and enjoyed every second of it. I appreciated his attitude and his approach towards the game.

+1.

Just a happy go-lucky dope. No harm no foul.

Only problem with Swish was his streakiness. Can't too many of those in the lineup. Tex, Granderson, ARod, all inconsistent with extreme ups and downs. Need some steadiness in this lineup.

We likely have differing definitions of the term. Barry Bonds was an a-hole.

I despised how Swisher carried himself. Just not the kind of ball player I respect. Too chummy with the opposition. Too happy-go-lucky after personal and/or team failures. The open pandering for that all star spot on twitter. The faux hawk.
    This is all nonsense really... He was a doofus, not a douche... Paulie sums it up pretty well above...

But mostly because he sucked when it mattered most.
    This is most likely the reason you dislike him... While I hold no ill will towards most of our team, anytime Tex or ARod come to the plate in a meaningful point in the game - i.e. RISP in a close game or trailing, I leave the room... I already know what's going to happen, no sense in subjecting myself to watching it...

The same could be said of Swisher once October rolled around...

All Pro

That was my take on him as well. like, "Can you believe this, I'm on the freakin Yankees!"

He was kind of a goof, but he never talked down to anyone, never bashed a teammate, never pouted about where he was hit in the lineup, played when he was told to play, wasn't hurt much, ran out ground balls (unlike Cano). Really, he wasn't a great clutch player, and I wouldn't give a 32 year old a 4-5 year deal, but he seemed like a really good guy who played hard.

To me, that's the opposite of being a douche.

Nothing wrong with this deal at all. If he stays healthy is an upgrade over Choo who was always in the IR.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    This is all nonsense really... He was a doofus, not a douche... Paulie sums it up pretty well above...

This is most likely the reason you dislike him... While I hold no ill will towards most of our team, anytime Tex or ARod come to the plate in a meaningful point in the game - i.e. RISP in a close game or trailing, I leave the room... I already know what's going to happen, no sense in subjecting myself to watching it...

The same could be said of Swisher once October rolled around...
    The two months of constant tweets pandering to the public to vote him in to the all-star game was one of the dooshiest things I have ever seen a pro athlete do. It was a joke. And he predictably struck out ion a big spot in that all-star game.

I appreciate ballplayers who take their craft seriously. As I said, I found him a doosh. Some of you didn't. It's a free country.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The two months of constant tweets pandering to the public to vote him in to the all-star game was one of the dooshiest things I have ever seen a pro athlete do. It was a joke. And he predictably struck out ion a big spot in that all-star game.

I appreciate ballplayers who take their craft seriously. As I said, I found him a doosh. Some of you didn't. It's a free country.
    The All Star game is a joke anyway. How could an exhibition decide home field advantage in the World Series?

Baseball can be a very stuffy sport, and Swisher is a unique guy. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

The All Star game is a joke anyway. How could an exhibition decide home field advantage in the World Series?
    Such a stupid idea

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Baseball can be a very stuffy sport, and Swisher is a unique guy. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.
    He would have made a great Met. Looking forward to a Swisherless 2013...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I rode the fence between getting a kick out of him... and thinking alot of his act was premeditated attention-seeking schtick. I knew we had to move on and he wasnt here long enough for me to give much thought to him leaving.

-

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    IMHO, the Indians overpaid. Take Swisher out of the Yankees lineup and out of Yankee stadium and his stats are going to drop. He will still get a ton of walks but his RBI numbers will drop.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...wishni01.shtml

As for his "behavior" the calendar reads 2012 and "acting up" by pro athletes has been encouraged and even rewarded by the fans and the media for 30+ years.

What cracks me up are the folks who attacked Jose Reyes (while a NY Met) for "acting up" but claim Swisher is a just a nutty dude.