Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McElroy is not an NFL starter

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I guess the billions of people who keep going to the games disagree.
    This is not even a debate in my opinion. College football does suck. However, I will rephrase; College football is unwatchable without a rooting interest.

1) It took how many decades to install a playoff system?

2) 60% of college games are complete and total mismatches that result in blowouts. The beauty of sport is the uncertain outcome. What is the point if Florida lines up against Alcorn St. and beats them by 50?

3) There is no defense in college football. Only a handful of teams in the whole country have quality defenses. Pretty much just the top 3rd of the SEC with an occasional outsider.

4) The QB play is terrible and a mirage. A bunch of spread, read-option garbage with primarily running QB's that can barely throw.

5) The corner play in college is abysmal. Receivers get so open, there is often not even a defender on the TV screen. It is the only way the QB's can complete a pass because most are dreadfully inaccurate. There is also no guarantee that the kid would catch the ball either.

6) The tackling in college, with a few teams excluded, is terrible.

7) The kicking game in college is laughably bad.

8) I could go on.... it is just a poor product. Cheering for your school, that you actually attended, is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 12-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    Still laughing at the people who thought McElroy was the next Pennington. Not even close. He can be a solid backup though.
    Funny from a guy who's handle is "sanchize."

But seriously... There were a few posters saying that, but I think the vast majority were just happy to sit down to a game excited to see what gmac could do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Just because someone happens to be right once in a while does not mean they are not ignorant. I don't believe anyone said McElroy would be the next Pennington, but I instead think people said he could be, and that it was well passed the time that we should be finding out. We need to know what we have for next year. The NFL is full of players that no one thought would be good, and the unemployment line has many can't miss prospects. I'm sure their are many Kurt Warners out there that never did end up getting the chance. Anyone that says they know is a fool. There are a lot of people on this site that consistently know who does or does not have potential. Trying to win games by playing it safe when there's nothing to play for is the idiotic way to go. I think we really should have given Greg a full 4 games tryout. Now I'm afraid he's going to be pressing knowing he has only 2 games to show.
    There are minimum physical requirements to play in the NFL. Certain positions demand a certain level of ability.

Can't have a 4.8 40 RB

Can't have a 260lb OT.

Can't have a 5'6" DE.

Can't have a WR who can't catch.

Can't have a QB who doesn't have a strong enough arm.

It's just not possible to succeed in the NFL without the ability, no matter how smart or dedicated a player is.

McElroy just does not have the arm to play QB in the NFL. He's Ken Dorsey. A fantastic college QB who might stick around for several years as a #2 or #3 but he will never, ever be a starter because he does not have the physical ability.

His arm makes Pennington's look strong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    This is not even a debate in my opinion. College football does suck. However, I will rephrase; College football is unwatchable without a rooting interest.

1) It took how many decades to install a playoff system?

2) 60% of college games are complete and total mismatches that result in blowouts. The beauty of sport is the uncertain outcome. What is the point if Florida lines up against Alcorn St. and beats them by 50?

3) There is no defense in college football. Only a handful of teams in the whole country have quality defenses. Pretty much just the top 3rd of the SEC with an occasional outsider.

4) The QB play is terrible and a mirage. A bunch of spread, read-option garbage with primarily running QB's that can barely throw.

5) The corner play in college is abysmal. Receivers get so open, there is often not even a defender on the TV screen. It is the only way the QB's can complete a pass because most are dreadfully inaccurate. There is also no guarantee that the kid would catch the ball either.

6) The tackling in college, with a few teams excluded, is terrible.

7) The kicking game in college is laughably bad.

8) I could go on.... it is just a poor product. Cheering for your school, that you actually attended, is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    NFL only football fan is a special breed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    There are minimum physical requirements to play in the NFL. Certain positions demand a certain level of ability.

Can't have a 4.8 40 RB

Can't have a 260lb OT.

Can't have a 5'6" DE.

Can't have a WR who can't catch.

Can't have a QB who doesn't have a strong enough arm.

It's just not possible to succeed in the NFL without the ability, no matter how smart or dedicated a player is.

McElroy just does not have the arm to play QB in the NFL. He's Ken Dorsey. A fantastic college QB who might stick around for several years as a #2 or #3 but he will never, ever be a starter because he does not have the physical ability.

His arm makes Pennington's look strong.
    That's what I've heard too, but I haven't seen it. Arms sometimes can be strengthened. No one said he was the next Brady, or even Pennington, but that we might as well find out. What people said was that the same things were said about Brady. That would make everyone that laughs at people thinking this way, are as smart as the people that would never have given Brady a chance because he was a 6th round draft choice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mc >>>>>> Sackchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McElroid View Post
    Funny from a guy who's handle is "sanchize."

But seriously... There were a few posters saying that, but I think the vast majority were just happy to sit down to a game excited to see what gmac could do.
    I was happy too..I just didn't hype him up as the next Pennington/Brady and waited to see. Ive learned my lesson from the past about this team. Sanchez sucks but at least I got a few years out of my handle. Yours is done in a week. I like Greg as a backup. Smart and can manage but personally thats all I see. Our future QB isn't on the roster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He doesn't trust his arm so he takes the sack. He doesn't have an arm either. The gameplan today is hiding him, plain and simple. This kid can't play. A #3.
    Well, that's why he's playing today. The CS needs to find out in these last 2 games if McElroy is a keeper. See if he is decent depth.

So you contend he's a number 3? I would tend to agree, but I still think he start the last game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    NFL only football fan is a special breed.
    I also love futbol... European style. I've tried college football many times, I usually just end up shaking my head is disappointment at the product. The only thing I like is their overtime system, which comes into play often because neither team can stop a nosebleed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I've heard too, but I haven't seen it. Arms sometimes can be strengthened. No one said he was the next Brady, or even Pennington, but that we might as well find out. What people said was that the same things were said about Brady. That would make everyone that laughs at people thinking this way, are as smart as the people that would never have given Brady a chance because he was a 6th round draft choice.
    Dude, he's not saying McElroy can't play BECAUSE he's a 7th round pick. He's saying that he can't play BECAUSE he doesn't have the arm to make the throws. Do you understand the difference?

And if you can't see the obvious, no one can help you.

Rivers has a weak arm, too. That's his downfall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually lots of people erroneously thought he could be the next Pennington or Brady, and he was compared to them all of the time on this board.

Brady always had enough arm. Watch the highlights from the Orange Bowl his senior year. He had the arm.

There are different reasons why people are drafted late, sometimes it's lack of skill, sometimes it's lack of experience and other times it's lack of physical ability.

I am not a GM and I don't know why Brady was drafted so late, but it's obvious to anyone who watched him throw one pass in college that his arm was strong enough. It's also obvious to anyone who has seen McElroy throw one pass that his arm just is not.

Maybe he can get stronger, but he has a LONG way to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The kid has little pocket awareness.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Dude, he's not saying McElroy can't play BECAUSE he's a 7th round pick. He's saying that he can't play BECAUSE he doesn't have the arm to make the throws. Do you understand the difference?

And if you can't see the obvious, no one can help you.

Rivers has a weak arm, too. That's his downfall.
    Dude, you didn't know that. You read it somewhere from a scouting report made years ago. Right now you still don't know that since it seems his biggest problem is avoiding the rush, and making the right decisions and not his arm. None of us knew that. I don't need help from ignorant detectives like you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    The receivers cannot get open, the guy does not have time to throw the ball and your starting a thread about him? What a idiot.......DUMP
    BU the same thing was happening to Snchez then he just got the **** beat out him. Mcrsucks is not a qb in this league sorry for all the sanchez haters that wanted this guy to play.
    I am glad you are not drafting. He is not an upgrade over a struggling sanchez or a none playing tebow.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    Still laughing at the people who thought McElroy was the next Pennington. Not even close. He can be a solid backup though.
    Not even close to Pennington....Pennington made plays with a limited supporting cast...no game breaking WR's...and a front office who refused to build around him...and a media that was relentless in letting everybody know how weak his arm was....the media mind controlled everyone with the "weak arm" talk and that went viral....thus Pennington was known as a "weak arm" QB...he was smart and made plays...just didnt really take any chances because he had no weapons...he couldve went down as an all time great..if it wasnt for the injuries...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, you didn't know that. You read it somewhere from a scouting report made years ago. Right now you still don't know that since it seems his biggest problem is avoiding the rush, and making the right decisions and not his arm. None of us knew that. I don't need help from ignorant detectives like you.
    I watched him plenty at Alabama. HE HAS A WEAK ARM. It's a little stronger now than it was then, but it's still weak.

You're the only ignoramus here.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    BU the same thing was happening to Snchez then he just got the **** beat out him. Mcrsucks is not a qb in this league sorry for all the sanchez haters that wanted this guy to play.
    I am glad you are not drafting. He is not an upgrade over a struggling sanchez or a none playing tebow.
    We scored 17 pts with him as the QB. That's an upgrade from Captain Turnover.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    We scored 17 pts with him as the QB. That's an upgrade from Captain Turnover.
    The Jets scored 17 points with Kerley playing QB and some marginal success running the ball. This offense is so bad, it's scary. There are only 3-4 starting caliber players on the offense as it sits right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL @ at those who thought Mcelroy was an answer.

Luck is an answer. RGIII is an answer... ****in' McElroy.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Whatever. I suggest you request a name change if you really are a Jets fan. Mac is nothing but a 3rd string clipboard holder and, maybe, a future coach. If you are a "Bama" guy, I suggest you stick to college and watch the Tide "roll" by beating grossly inferior opponents by 50 and celebrate as if they accomplished something. College football sucks!
    and I am also not a bama fan, I am a notre dame fan. And yes, GMac may very well be a career backup. but at least we will know he wasn't good for us rather than find out he is a stud for another team.