Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: It seems that we are in an interesting situation.

  1. #1

    It seems that we are in an interesting situation.

    If it's true that there are no franchise QBs in this draft, do we completely ignore the QB position and tank next year. We are either drafting a QB this year or next year. What do we do?

  2. #2
    IF there are no franchise Qbs, I am fine with looking to the following year. Ive been waiting 40+ years, one more wont matter.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    How can you alreay tell who is a franchise QB...Russell Wilson was not a franchise QB and he might well be offensive rookie of the year....was Brady a franchise QB coming out? Was Big Ben to name a few? Gimme a break with the franchise talk....anyone of the young QB's in this years draft can be a starting QB in the league.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that there are no franchise QBs in this draft, do we completely ignore the QB position and tank next year. We are either drafting a QB this year or next year. What do we do?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Jet fan View Post
    IF there are no franchise Qbs, I am fine with looking to the following year. Ive been waiting 40+ years, FORTY more wont matter.
    fixed for completeness.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Jet fan View Post
    IF there are no franchise Qbs, I am fine with looking to the following year. Ive been waiting 40+ years, one more wont matter.
    Agreed. Let's shore up other needs -- OL, RB, WR, OLB. Surround Sanchez with some talent. See what he does but since there is no franchise QB in this draft, absolutely draft one next year.

    No need to screw up our cap situation. Mark will be back next year. If we give him some weapons and he fails to produce, say goodbye to his azz.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that there are no franchise QBs in this draft, do we completely ignore the QB position and tank next year. We are either drafting a QB this year or next year. What do we do?
    Wilson, Foles and Cousins all taken in 3rd and 4th round. There will be a few guys available to the Jets this year that would be worth a look. The whole notion that there is not a "franchise" QB in this years draft, therefore the Jets shouldnt draft one is nonsense.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Wilson, Foles and Cousins all taken in 3rd and 4th round. There will be a few guys available to the Jets this year that would be worth a look. The whole notion that there is not a "franchise" QB in this years draft, therefore the Jets shouldnt draft one is nonsense.
    Well the year they drafted Sanchez was a bad year for QBs. Josh Freeman can't even get into the playoffs.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Wilson, Foles and Cousins all taken in 3rd and 4th round. There will be a few guys available to the Jets this year that would be worth a look. The whole notion that there is not a "franchise" QB in this years draft, therefore the Jets shouldnt draft one is nonsense.
    If the JETS drafted Russel Wilson, Rex would have released him. remember how OBrien misused him at NC State. Player development is as important as the player.

    Learned that from CMART.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    How can you alreay tell who is a franchise QB...Russell Wilson was not a franchise QB and he might well be offensive rookie of the year....was Brady a franchise QB coming out? Was Big Ben to name a few? Gimme a break with the franchise talk....anyone of the young QB's in this years draft can be a starting QB in the league.
    Big Ben was drafted in the first as a franchise QB.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that there are no franchise QBs in this draft, do we completely ignore the QB position and tank next year. We are either drafting a QB this year or next year. What do we do?

    We hire a new GM and let him decide what we do.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    I still like warfish's plan

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    If the JETS drafted Russel Wilson, Rex would have released him. remember how OBrien misused him at NC State. Player development is as important as the player.

    Learned that from CMART.
    That might be the smartest quote I've ever seen.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Well the year they drafted Sanchez was a bad year for QBs. Josh Freeman can't even get into the playoffs.
    Stafford is clearly the best of the '09 bunch, but he isn't that great either. He is kind of like a less athletic Jay Cutler. Stafford, though, is not a douchebag. They both have terrible footwork, inconsistent mechanics, and rely solely on their arms to deliver the ball. They throw off their back foot, from different release points, and will force a ball unnecessarily.

  14. #14
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,474
    Images
    39581
    90% chance we are stuck with Sanchez next season and frankly, even if we didn't have this problem there are no slam dunk options to replace him in free agency or the draft. Even if a guy like Alex Smith was available, he would be just as bad in our system as Sanchez is, similar to the way he was before Harbaugh took the Niners over based on the coaching we have and talent around him.

    What we have to do is first of all, get rid of Tebow and then sign a stop gap veteran such as Matt Moore to come in and compete for the starting job. In the meantime, you continue to build through the draft and reasonable FA's (i.e.: Landry) and manage the cap to get the fat off. Try to get some young talent especially on offense and get better there.

    If we can find a semi-talented QB to run the offense without turning the ball over we can win games. Granted, we may not be a great team for a few years but this is the price we have to pay for Tannenbaum's mismanagement.

    Unfortunately there is no quick fix here. It may get worse before it gets better. There's no way around it.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Big Ben was drafted in the first as a franchise QB.
    There were alot of questions on him coming out of University of Dayton. He was everything you could want in size and arm stremgth but there were questions on whether he'd make it. He was by no means a shoe in stud.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    There were alot of questions on him coming out of University of Dayton. He was everything you could want in size and arm stremgth but there were questions on whether he'd make it. He was by no means a shoe in stud.
    Miami-Ohio

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Miami-Ohio

    You are correct, I always get the two mixed up. Thanks. Point still stands though. Nobody knew for sure he would be a franchise QB. He was more in the boat of Cutler and Flacco, big guys with all the physical gifts you want your QB to have, but unsure if they could take the next step since they didn't come from big schools.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    We can't know if our new franchise QB is in the draft or not. If the Jets like a guy and think he could be their man, then they take him. Players like Glennon, Bray or Wilson definitely have potential. But in order to make this thing work Cavanaugh has to go, he has been horrible developing Sanchez... and Sparano I think is another guy who does not really help a QB...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We can't know if our new franchise QB is in the draft or not. If the Jets like a guy and think he could be their man, then they take him. Players like Glennon, Bray or Wilson definitely have potential. But in order to make this thing work Cavanaugh has to go, he has been horrible developing Sanchez... and Sparano I think is another guy who does not really help a QB...
    Agreed, we're better off making sure we have the right guys evaluating this class and then COACHING them. Rex shouldn't be anywhere near a team that needs to develop a young QB.

  20. #20
    It ain't getting much better soon. I say go back to getting the o line dominant first. Then bring in the franchise QB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us