Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 334

Thread: Tebow Opts Out of the Wildcat

  1. #281
    Rex did Tebow the biggest favor ever not starting him in this putrid offense supporting cast. Let Teblow go to Jacksonville and get run out of town in a couple years before they finally move to LA.

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thank you Jeeeezus for fumigating this message board next week by removing the worst POS bust player from the Jets


    And his brainwashed worshipping cult of ignorance too...


    Tebow on outta here...

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Were you thanking the little baby Jesus or the grown up Jesus?

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Bingo. Tebow wasn't "consistent" in his passing last year. Here's the thing though, in college, at UF, Tebow was extremely consistent in his passing. Hell, he had a higher career completion percentage than either of the Manning brothers, Matt Stafford, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

    I submit that his inconsistency is due to the attempts to change his mechanics, and that those changes hadn't made it to muscle memory last year. We haven't seen enough passes out of him this year to see whether or not there has been any improvement.

    That said, many QB experts agree that his mechanics can be fixed.


    Something else that I'd wish you and others would remember is that Tebow came off the bench last year. Basically, he was very much in the same position that Greg McElroy is in this year. Extremely limited reps in TC and during the season. Next to no time spent with the 1st team players. People here would have been absolutely ecstatic if McElroy had taken over after game 5 and gone 7-4.

    Let that sink in for a minute. He wasn't the incumbent starter when he went 7-4. He came off the freaking bench and did that in his first prolonged set of starts, having taken over the reigns of a woeful 1-4 team.
    Thank you for looking at this objectively. Seriously. I can agree with much of what you said. Reps are very important to the position and perhaps he should be given at least that. My main issues with his inconsistency is his mechanics. His motion is so unconventional that I seriously would like to know if he received ANY coaching whatsoever in high school to help him. While many see it as fixable, I honestly cant see it ever happening simply because he's been throwing that way his entire career. By now the motion is most likely here to stay. When push comes to shove and he's being chased by lineman muscle memory will take over and he'll relapse back to his old mechanics just as he did last year. If he wants that motion to work for him he needs to improve the consistancy in his release point. Half of the time its all over the place. Like I said, if ever improves to the point where he consistantly passes for 60 percent he'll be unstoppable. However, my guess is he's not showing the ability to do that in practice and that is why McElroy is playing.

  4. #284
    LOLz Demos9 - SG3 is mine, go find one of your own to play with

  5. #285
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    LOLz Demos9 - SG3 is mine, go find one of your own to play with
    Only six more days then purple sneakers and the big comet ride for the entire Teblow cult

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Thank you for looking at this objectively. Seriously. I can agree with much of what you said. Reps are very important to the position and perhaps he should be given at least that. My main issues with his inconsistency is his mechanics. His motion is so unconventional that I seriously would like to know if he received ANY coaching whatsoever in high school to help him. While many see it as fixable, I honestly cant see it ever happening simply because he's been throwing that way his entire career. By now the motion is most likely here to stay. When push comes to shove and he's being chased by lineman muscle memory will take over and he'll relapse back to his old mechanics just as he did last year. If he wants that motion to work for him he needs to improve the consistancy in his release point. Half of the time its all over the place. Like I said, if ever improves to the point where he consistantly passes for 60 percent he'll be unstoppable. However, my guess is he's not showing the ability to do that in practice and that is why McElroy is playing.
    Frankly I've often wondered if they screwed him up by messing with his throwing motion in the first place, because accuracy wasn't a problem for him. The main problem cited was that Tebow needed to get rid of the ball quicker to play in the NFL.

    Still, with enough reps the new throwing motion should get burned into muscle memory. My uncle's a southpaw and believes Tebow could benefit from working with a good ex-NFL lefty QB

    Like you, I wonder if in times of stress he'd fall back to his natural throwing motion, but I think after it becomes muscle memory it overwrites his old motion. Of course there's always the option of learning not to panic in the first place --- freaking Tom Brady could make millions teaching QBs how to stay cool under pressure.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Thank you for looking at this objectively. Seriously. I can agree with much of what you said. Reps are very important to the position and perhaps he should be given at least that. My main issues with his inconsistency is his mechanics. His motion is so unconventional that I seriously would like to know if he received ANY coaching whatsoever in high school to help him. While many see it as fixable, I honestly cant see it ever happening simply because he's been throwing that way his entire career. By now the motion is most likely here to stay. When push comes to shove and he's being chased by lineman muscle memory will take over and he'll relapse back to his old mechanics just as he did last year. If he wants that motion to work for him he needs to improve the consistancy in his release point. Half of the time its all over the place. Like I said, if ever improves to the point where he consistantly passes for 60 percent he'll be unstoppable. However, my guess is he's not showing the ability to do that in practice and that is why McElroy is playing.
    Moggelz, I appreciate your objectivity as well. As to Tebow's mechanics, I don't know what they did or didn't do in highschool. At Florida, they did tweak his mechanics a bit to try and make some improvements. Note that I said "tweak", as opposed to "overhaul" or "rebuild".

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=4178702

    Some have criticized Urban Meyer for not wanting to mess with Tebow's mechanics too much, but then again, other notable people have come out and said that Tebow shouldn't try to completely change his mechanics, but rather, should just tweak some things. Joe Montana was one of those people, and it's fair to say that he knows a little bit about the QB position

    At any rate, after graduation, Tebow went to work on changing his mechanics and unveiled the new motion on his Pro Day.

    He also worked a bit with Josh McDaniel's brother while he was in Denver.

    This passed offseason, he worked with Tom House and also with Noel Mazzone.

    You are somewhat on point with regards to muscle memory. Some have noted that in games last year, Tebow reverted back to his older mechanics. Not quite as bad as they were his first years at Florida, but still a slow release.

    Yet, even this week, two noted QB gurus came out and stated that they could fix Tebow's mechanics. Also, while difficult, if you get enough reps in, you CAN burn the new mechanics into your muscle memory, thereby making the changes permanent. It just takes lots of work and thousands of reps.

    Also, it's not just about his release point and upper body mechanics. His footwork is an issue as well. Steve Young is of the opinion that if Tebow concentrates and fixes his footwork, he could be a very good QB.

    Like you, I'm of the opinion that if he can become consistent in his passing, he could be a very good QB. Unstoppable, as you said. As I pointed out, he was a very consistent passer while at Florida. His career completion % was 66.4%.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Only six more days then purple sneakers and the big comet ride for the entire Teblow cult

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not leaving without Cro, Mangold, Kerley, Wilkerson, Sanchez, McElroy and a plethora of other players to whom I've grown attached, including Bryan Thomas cuz he used the word "plethora" in a sentence this week.

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Frankly I've often wondered if they screwed him up by messing with his throwing motion in the first place, because accuracy wasn't a problem for him. The main problem cited was that Tebow needed to get rid of the ball quicker to play in the NFL.

    Still, with enough reps the new throwing motion should get burned into muscle memory. My uncle's a southpaw and believes Tebow could benefit from working with a good ex-NFL lefty QB

    Like you, I wonder if in times of stress he'd fall back to his natural throwing motion, but I think after it becomes muscle memory it overwrites his old motion. Of course there's always the option of learning not to panic in the first place --- freaking Tom Brady could make millions teaching QBs how to stay cool under pressure.
    This one is complex and highly subjective Suzy. Basically, the argument is that Tebow was "college accurate", but not "NFL accurate". What is meant by this is that the passing windows in the NFL are smaller/tighter. Basically, the argument is that DBs are faster and play tighter coverage. Where you might have a big hole in zones in college defenses, those holes are much smaller in the NFL, so you have to be more accurate. You see this when you watch Aaron Rodgers threads a needle between 3 defenders and hits a receiver.

    Counter argument is that Tebow (and any other dual threat QB) running a spread option type offense wouldn't see the same kinds of coverages. Teams would have to stuff an extra defender in the box, or put a spy on the QB, taking a player out of coverage.

    So, if Tebow is going to run a "conventional" offense like a WCO or even an Earhardt/Perkins or Air Coryell, he'd have to become "NFL accurate".

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Only six more days then purple sneakers and the big comet ride for the entire Teblow cult

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2


    Merry Christmas SG3

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    This one is complex and highly subjective Suzy. Basically, the argument is that Tebow was "college accurate", but not "NFL accurate". What is meant by this is that the passing windows in the NFL are smaller/tighter. Basically, the argument is that DBs are faster and play tighter coverage. Where you might have a big hole in zones in college defenses, those holes are much smaller in the NFL, so you have to be more accurate. You see this when you watch Aaron Rodgers threads a needle between 3 defenders and hits a receiver.

    Counter argument is that Tebow (and any other dual threat QB) running a spread option type offense wouldn't see the same kinds of coverages. Teams would have to stuff an extra defender in the box, or put a spy on the QB, taking a player out of coverage.

    So, if Tebow is going to run a "conventional" offense like a WCO or even an Earhardt/Perkins or Air Coryell, he'd have to become "NFL accurate".
    Thanks for explaining that to me, Demos. I have a tendency to dismiss some of the differences between college and pro football, except for obvious things like the out of bounds or OT rules. After all, college players don't miraculously become bigger and faster in the few months between the draft and the start of the NFL season. Your explanation helped me understand better.

  12. #292
    Go Tebow, and take Sanchez with you

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Because the Jets lacked the Personnel *AND* The Coaching Staff to do what Denver did.

    THE SPREAD-OPTION is still a gimmick as far as the NFL goes.....kind of like the Knuckleball in baseball.....(no offense to RA Dickey fans)







    Are you feeling okay?

    He's talking about Teblow.







    THIS IS AN AMAZING POST!

    Well said. +100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!






    I bet he'd do a much better Job at QB than Teblow.








    We've known this SINCE Demos joined.



    My god...I can't wait until this last game ends so that the following people DISAPPEAR from JI forever :




    1.) Demos

    2.) vinniekt

    3.) ytfootballfan

    4.) Any other "noob" that was on Teblow's balls



    We Jets fans already have to constantly put up with Pats trolls 24/7 here....We don't need Teblow groupies polluting the area further with their garbage.


    I wonder if Copernicus will leave, too?

    I have read ever comment on this page and this is the only one that even strikes me as worth responding to. I love the knuckle ball. Wakefield was awesome even if he was a Redsuck. Name me one other pitcher in the league that could throw under 80 mph and still have the career he did. One of the reasons I like Phil Hughes so much is he used to throw a good knuckler. I pitched for years and have a great respect for anyone that can get that pitch to work. Phil Niekro was an all time great with it. The few pitchers that do use it usually have a good career. It is not an easy fastball or curve it take real concentration and skill.

  14. #294
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    Tebow, one of my bigger misjudgments (Not him, but the staff using him) in prediction of late. Ramsey-esque, if fact.

    At this point, screw him. He's gone in a week, and then it won't matter.

    Hopefully Sanchez and McElquack follow him shortly thereafter (a dream, I know).

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Why???? He completely sucks. Kerley is clearly better than Tebow at the offense he needs to be in. He is the most overrated player in NFL history.
    Use him at RB/Fullback/TE

  16. #296
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Seriously? The "ground and pound" needs elite passing skills? LOLz yeah ... no.

    The initial point of this thread was about the RUMOR that Tebow opted out of the wildcat while Rex mysteriously had him suited up and on the active roster. As usual, some of you twisted the most innocuous of statements around into the typical SOJF convoluted crap while pretending you didn't.

    If I say "It would be smart to start Tebow for one game to see how he plays with the Jets in a real game instead of practice", you use your super decoder rings to interpret that as "Tebow can win the game by himself". If I say "Tebow has more NFL wins and experience than McElroy so it's common sense to start him before Mac", you twist that into "Tebow would've won the Superbowl for you this year".

    You say "Sanchez took us to 4 playoff games" or "Tom Brady and Eli Manning have won Superbowls", and everyone understands you don't literally mean they were solely responsible for those wins. But if I say "Tebow had a winning season as a starting QB last year, beat the Jets, and went to the playoffs", you deliberately imply that I said he did it all by himself.

    That's the hardest thing for me to understand - the stupid Orwellian doublespeak you use - The utter lack of common sense that allows you to write off a potential QB without ever giving him a chance to start a game for you. That makes absolutely no sense at all.
    In a run oriented offense you still have to be able to complete passes efficiently. And no one said "elite level." it's about ball control. It keeps defenses honest. With this line, Sanchez failed and Tebow would have no chance. He's a nice kid but I wish him far away from the Jets.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    In a run oriented offense you still have to be able to complete passes efficiently. And no one said "elite level." it's about ball control. It keeps defenses honest. With this line, Sanchez failed and Tebow would have no chance. He's a nice kid but I wish him far away from the Jets.
    Quite the contrary, a quarterback who can scramble and move swiftly, can help take a lot of pressure off an O-line.

  18. #298
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    OK well we'll just agree to disagree bud because there's no point in me arguing with someone who believes 50% is a psychological barrier to being an NFL quarterback and 47% means you can't. What is a 3% difference for a QB who throws less than 20 attempts per game in real football talk? Less than 1 completion per game? That can't be made up by 6 rushing touchdowns and 660 yards on the ground? Or the fact he only threw 6 interceptions?

    Even if he can't, if you'd rather have a quarterback who completes 50% and throws more interceptions than touchdowns then you just got what you wished for. Congratulations. Or maybe one day you will work it out why Sanchez and McElroy lose games when they are completing over 50%...and Tebow was able to win games completing 47%...maybe one day you will figure it out.
    50% sucks too.

  19. #299
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    FIVE more days of Timmyturd and his cult

    The countdown continues

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Tebow, one of my bigger misjudgments (Not him, but the staff using him) in prediction of late. Ramsey-esque, if fact.

    At this point, screw him. He's gone in a week, and then it won't matter.

    Hopefully Sanchez and McElquack follow him shortly thereafter (a dream, I know).
    McElroni would be a better fitting name.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us