Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Glennon NC State QB 6' 6"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Russell Wilson wouldn't be playing if he were on the Jets.
    Fixed.

"Mark gives us the best chance to win"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Fixed.

"Mark gives us the best chance to win"
    The amazing part is that statement was always true and will also be true going into the off season. I can dislike Mark Sanchez all i want,but this team has no better option and that's why the Front office and the HC need to be fired.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The amazing part is that statement was always true and will also be true going into the off season. I can dislike Mark Sanchez all i want,but this team has no better option and that's why the Front office and the HC need to be fired.
    Very true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Where are the "can't miss" prospects in this draft?

This is a pretty weak draft class, even at the top.

Damontre Moore would be ideal but we aren't getting him unless we move up into the Top 5.

After him, the level in passrushing talent drops off pretty significantly. I'm not sold on guys like Mingo, Montgomery or Jordan in the slightest.

There isn't a single WR, RB, or TE worth taking in the Top 15 either.

So to me, I think you either roll the dice on a QB with immense potential like Glennon or you take a bluechip OL like Warmack.
    Wouldn't this be an ideal year then to trade down and load up on picks?

where the jets pick, this guy glennon almost needs to be te second coming of roethlisberger. the problem is really tall qb's typically aren't mobile. will he last getting sacked 11 times?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Wouldn't this be an ideal year then to trade down and load up on picks?
    Yes, ideally. But who wants to trade up, that's the question.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Yes, ideally. But who wants to trade up, that's the question.
    Suckers? Too bad the Jets can't trade with themselves.

Seriously though, I suppose there may be a team or two who have their sights on a player or two where the Jets pick.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    where the jets pick, this guy glennon almost needs to be te second coming of roethlisberger. the problem is really tall qb's typically aren't mobile. will he last getting sacked 11 times?
    Glennon looks good on film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682RFNg_DN0

Veteran
    I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Glennon in the 1st round, provided that we bring in someone like Norv Turner who is adept in developing young QB's.

6'6 235 with a cannon for an arm, sneaky athleticism, and has a good head on his shoulders.

He's a safer pick than Barkley IMO and has the highest upside of any QB in the draft.

If we're picking in the 10-15 area, I'd rather take a shot on a potential stud QB than some project passrusher.
    The fact that you think Mike Glennon has a bigger upside than Tyler Wilson tells me you don't watch much football.

I'm always hesitant with guys who do not distinguish themselves as great players in college and get drafted high or suddenly rise in the draft because of physical measurables such as height or combine work.

Only seen Glennon play a couple times, was not impressed. All of the rookie QBs succeeding this season (Luck, RG3, Wilson) were not "raw" or "needs to be more polished" type prospects. Maybe Tannehill was and he is having a small measure of success (but realistically is having a rookie year not all that different than Mark did). When I think of a guy like Glennon, I cannot help but think of Gabbert and Locker, two mediocre college players who had "all the physical tools" and just "needed to be developed properly."

What an earth makes any Jet fan think we have coaching staff to handle a raw prospect like that at the game's most important position?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Suckers? Too bad the Jets can't trade with themselves.

Seriously though, I suppose there may be a team or two who have their sights on a player or two where the Jets pick.
    I think our best hope is that someone falls in the draft, who's at a position of strength for us. (Sadly that's a bit limited at the moment).

Say a good DL prospect drops to our slot, we might get calls to see about a swap.

Out of all the QB's coming out, Tyler Wilson looks the best to me, he's got a live arm and a quick release.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    The fact that you think Mike Glennon has a bigger upside than Tyler Wilson tells me you don't watch much football.
    Glennon absolutely has a higher upside than Wilson, and I'm a big Wilson fan.

His measurables are basically ideal: 6'6 235...cannon for an arm...deceptively athletic.

Compare that to Wilson. Some think Wilson will be lucky to measure in at 6'2. Wilson has a good arm, but not an "elite" arm like Glennon possesses.

And Wilson's flaws basically mirror Glennon's. Footwork and questionable accurracy. Things that can be corrected with the proper coaching. Which you can bet your ass won't be administered by Cavanaugh or Sparano next year.

Personally, I like Glennon in one scenario and Wilson in another.

Glennon is pretty much expected to rise into the Top 15 post senior bowl/combine. So if we decide to go in that direction, I'm all for taking him in the 12-16 area where we will most likely end up picking.

If we decide to go in another direction in the 1st round (OLB, OL, etc), then I'd want to go with someone like Wilson or Nassib in the 2nd round.

This team needs to add a young QB come draft day anyway you slice it. And I'm not just talking about some 6th/7th round pick whose longterm potential is a solid backup. This team needs to draft a QB within the first 3 rounds. A kid who has the potential to be at least a viable starter in this league.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Out of all the QB's coming out, Tyler Wilson looks the best to me, he's got a live arm and a quick release.
    I can't argue with u about this player. There're 5 highly rated pro style Qbs being bandied about by the so called experts. The aforementioned Wilson, Matt Barkley, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones and Sean Renfree.

I want to draft 2 of em in 2013 and let the chips fall where they may. Of those 5 i want Bray in the 2nd and Renfree in the 5th. Bray needs time, but I don't think Renfree does. Bray's upside is much higher. Both the guys i want are above 6'3" and 220 lbs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    I think his point was that Rivers was long gone before we selected.

The guy we actually whiffed on was Vince Wilfork who went 21st. Imagine him clogging up the middle for the Jets as opposed to the Pats for all these years. Instead we pick Vilma and trade him off a few years later.
    The Jets had dewayne robertson at dt/nt and vilma ,both were eventually hurt but neither wanted to play an ill fitting part in manginis d. Vilma was a good pick but obviously of questionable character
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 12-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Practice Squad
    I would definitely consider drafting Glennon, could be good.

Glennon absolutely has a higher upside than Wilson, and I'm a big Wilson fan.

His measurables are basically ideal: 6'6 235...cannon for an arm...deceptively athletic.

Compare that to Wilson. Some think Wilson will be lucky to measure in at 6'2. Wilson has a good arm, but not an "elite" arm like Glennon possesses.

And Wilson's flaws basically mirror Glennon's. Footwork and questionable accurracy. Things that can be corrected with the proper coaching. Which you can bet your ass won't be administered by Cavanaugh or Sparano next year.

Personally, I like Glennon in one scenario and Wilson in another.

Glennon is pretty much expected to rise into the Top 15 post senior bowl/combine. So if we decide to go in that direction, I'm all for taking him in the 12-16 area where we will most likely end up picking.

If we decide to go in another direction in the 1st round (OLB, OL, etc), then I'd want to go with someone like Wilson or Nassib in the 2nd round.

This team needs to add a young QB come draft day anyway you slice it. And I'm not just talking about some 6th/7th round pick whose longterm potential is a solid backup. This team needs to draft a QB within the first 3 rounds. A kid who has the potential to be at least a viable starter in this league.
    I don't care where Glennon rises to, he wasn't good in college and he won't be good in the pros. Everything you're saying about him was the dumb logic people used to push Flacco up to a top 10 pick. And Glennon is not nearly as good as Flacco, which is obviously a horrible thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Height isn't the issue. Drew Brees is 6' and most people would take him in a heart beat. On the next QB drafted by us I'd like to see a Cam Newton, Mathew Stafford, Jay Cutler, RG3, Andrew Luck types. All those guys contributed from day one. It is worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Here is another guy that does'nt watch a lot of football I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I don't care where Glennon rises to, he wasn't good in college and he won't be good in the pros. Everything you're saying about him was the dumb logic people used to push Flacco up to a top 10 pick. And Glennon is not nearly as good as Flacco, which is obviously a horrible thing.
    What do you mean about Flacco, he is a top 1/3 qb in the nfl. And he was picked 18.

If you put Glennon on USC, what do you think his numbers will be like. he did not play with anybody that will be drafted this year or even invited to a NFL camp this year or next.

He is not ready to start in the NFL and I think his value is mid 20s.