Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 2012 is the start of the new NFL

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,701
    Post Thanks / Like

    2012 is the start of the new NFL

    You can't touch the QB (Brady ducks right into a hit & gets yet another RTP)

    Chancellor has a beautiful clean hit last night & 3 flags come flying in.

    Moving pocket QB option is gonna change the whole game. The traditional pocket QBs, Brady, Payton will be a thing of the past.

    The new NFL is a fast break basketball game on offense. Spread everyone out, and make sure you have a QB with good running skills combined with a strong arm to take long shots, 50% chance of getting a PI.

    Forget the Jets looking for another reconstituted NFL coach, it's time to go back into college ranks & go with a totally offensive guy.

    Spurrier was just to early for the times, now the Oline can hold all game as long as your a playoff type team, you can't touch a receiver, you can't even hit a receiver (too hard).
    Even QBs like Flacco can run some.

    If Brady or Payton don't get a Superbowl this year it will be over for them.
    The dynamic QB, that can move around, ( Rogers can also move & run), will be the future.
    Jets have to find a QB in college that can run & pass. Find that guy, bring in an offensive minded college coach & start to have some fun.

    Rex style has no fun. Boring football is a thing of the past, even Belichick figured that out & started speeding up the offense.

    Rex style is a dinosaur in this league.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because guys like RG3 grow on trees

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL is going to start hiring Arena League coaches to take over the offense. Think about it, Kurt Warner was success, known as the greatest show on turf.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have the right idea ... Maybe a little extreme .., but your not far off the mark.

    The game has become fairly boring to watch. What used to be the perfectly balanced contest between offense and defense, has become a lopsided exhibition event in favor of the offense. Unless the NFL passes some rules in favor of the defense, I doubt this game survives. Soccer has actually become a better sport ... And I hate soccer.

    They need to get rid of the 5 yard chuck rule in order to rebalance the game. At least it would be a start.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top 5 offenses in terms of yards:

    1. Pats
    2. Lions
    3. Saints
    4. Broncos
    5. Redskins

    Top 5 offenses in terms of points:

    1. Pats
    2. Broncos
    3. Saints
    4. Redskins
    5. Falcons

    The demise of the pocket passers and the dominance of the scrambling QBs have been greatly exaggerated. RGIII is the only scrambling QB in the top five of either category. In the rest of the top 10 in both categories, only Andrew Luck is there in total yards (Colts are 9th) and Rodgers and Wilson are the only other ones in total points (Green Bay is 7th and the Seahawks are 8th).

    There isn't a faster break offense than the Pats and Brady isn't a scrambler although he is just as elusive in between the tackles than some of these mobile QBs are all over field.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 12-24-2012 at 08:28 AM.

  6. #6
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha.....Just name some of the top QB's.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You can't touch the QB (Brady ducks right into a hit & gets yet another RTP)

    Chancellor has a beautiful clean hit last night & 3 flags come flying in.

    Moving pocket QB option is gonna change the whole game. The traditional pocket QBs, Brady, Payton will be a thing of the past.

    The new NFL is a fast break basketball game on offense. Spread everyone out, and make sure you have a QB with good running skills combined with a strong arm to take long shots, 50% chance of getting a PI.

    Forget the Jets looking for another reconstituted NFL coach, it's time to go back into college ranks & go with a totally offensive guy.

    Spurrier was just to early for the times, now the Oline can hold all game as long as your a playoff type team, you can't touch a receiver, you can't even hit a receiver (too hard).
    Even QBs like Flacco can run some.

    If Brady or Payton don't get a Superbowl this year it will be over for them.
    The dynamic QB, that can move around, ( Rogers can also move & run), will be the future.
    Jets have to find a QB in college that can run & pass. Find that guy, bring in an offensive minded college coach & start to have some fun.

    Rex style has no fun. Boring football is a thing of the past, even Belichick figured that out & started speeding up the offense.

    Rex style is a dinosaur in this league.
    Excellent post you are spot on, and the fact that brady and peyton are still dominating doenst change that fact.

    First off you are talking about 2 top 10 QBs of all time, so they are statistical outliers. Plus Brady is running the spread, just as a pocket passer.

    People have been talking about parity in the league for a long time and the spread offense is a big reason why. The read option plays/spread option allow teams to compete with lesser talent.

    What russel wilson is doing with the seattle offense really is remarkable and shows how quickly fortunes can change in the NFL. His receivers are subpar, they dont have a great TE and their line is good not great....yet they are stomping people because they are executing the read option plays to perfection.

    Finding/drafting the next RGIII isnt going to happen, but players like ryan nassib (similar in athleticism to rogers) can execute the same zone reads and if the play is designed correctly will be able to find an open player. He is a good athlete, smart and accurate with a quick release.

    The jets getting someone like norv turner as OC is nothing but a waste....we need an innovative offensive mind with spread experience, who isnt married to the same playbook he developed 20 years ago.

    A guy like jeff tedford as OC (if rex stays) would be perfect for developing a QB, running the offense from top to bottom as he has been a HC for a long time, and being able to incorporate the spread/read option into the offense.

    I hope we find someone to lead the organization that is forward thinking rather then backward

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Posts
    3,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main reason these "mobile" QB's are successful, is that they have no fear of getting hit....If Griffin, Newton, Wilson, etc. played in the era of true tackle football, they wouldn't be so mobile.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "change" has been happening for some time now, it was not overnight.

    The NFL sucks now, plain and simple.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Excellent post you are spot on, and the fact that brady and peyton are still dominating doenst change that fact.

    First off you are talking about 2 top 10 QBs of all time, so they are statistical outliers. Plus Brady is running the spread, just as a pocket passer.

    People have been talking about parity in the league for a long time and the spread offense is a big reason why. The read option plays/spread option allow teams to compete with lesser talent.

    What russel wilson is doing with the seattle offense really is remarkable and shows how quickly fortunes can change in the NFL. His receivers are subpar, they dont have a great TE and their line is good not great....yet they are stomping people because they are executing the read option plays to perfection.

    Finding/drafting the next RGIII isnt going to happen, but players like ryan nassib (similar in athleticism to rogers) can execute the same zone reads and if the play is designed correctly will be able to find an open player. He is a good athlete, smart and accurate with a quick release.

    The jets getting someone like norv turner as OC is nothing but a waste....we need an innovative offensive mind with spread experience, who isnt married to the same playbook he developed 20 years ago.

    A guy like jeff tedford as OC (if rex stays) would be perfect for developing a QB, running the offense from top to bottom as he has been a HC for a long time, and being able to incorporate the spread/read option into the offense.

    I hope we find someone to lead the organization that is forward thinking rather then backward
    I agree the spread offense is the trend of the future. I don't know if the pocket passer is going away though. You can run the spread with a pocket passer (see Brady).

    The fact of the matter is that there are only so many QBs out there who have the QB skills and are good athletes with their feet. If this is the the trend, the league is heading to a league much like MLB where only about 6 or 7 teams have a realistic shot for the Super Bowl and the rest are basically eliminated from the start.

    I think because of RGIII and Luck (and to a lesser extent Wilson), people think it is a trend. I don't see many guys like them currently in the college ranks to continue this trend. I think it was more of a anomaly that they both came out in the same draft. Wilson's (And Kapernick's)success has to do with a dominant defense than them carrying their team.

    Personally, I think RGIII is going to have a short career because he gets beat up far too much. That is a big problem with scrambling QBs. They can't stay healthy (see Michael Vick).

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Chris Collinsworth said it best last night. Great pocket passing QBs like Brady and Manning don't grow on trees. And this new type of QB has a couple of generations to it.

    First generation : Tim Tebow and Michael Vick: QBs who can move but are not natural passers

    Second generation: RGIII, Russell Wilson, maybe even Aaron Rodgers: QBs who can pass and run.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a hit looks like a big hit, flags are getting thrown. It doesnt matter if it legal or not. If it looks like a bonecrushing hit, they are throwing the flag.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You can't touch the QB (Brady ducks right into a hit & gets yet another RTP)

    Chancellor has a beautiful clean hit last night & 3 flags come flying in.

    Moving pocket QB option is gonna change the whole game. The traditional pocket QBs, Brady, Payton will be a thing of the past.

    The new NFL is a fast break basketball game on offense. Spread everyone out, and make sure you have a QB with good running skills combined with a strong arm to take long shots, 50% chance of getting a PI.

    Forget the Jets looking for another reconstituted NFL coach, it's time to go back into college ranks & go with a totally offensive guy.

    Spurrier was just to early for the times, now the Oline can hold all game as long as your a playoff type team, you can't touch a receiver, you can't even hit a receiver (too hard).
    Even QBs like Flacco can run some.

    If Brady or Payton don't get a Superbowl this year it will be over for them.
    The dynamic QB, that can move around, ( Rogers can also move & run), will be the future.
    Jets have to find a QB in college that can run & pass. Find that guy, bring in an offensive minded college coach & start to have some fun.

    Rex style has no fun. Boring football is a thing of the past, even Belichick figured that out & started speeding up the offense.

    Rex style is a dinosaur in this league.
    Yet Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers is going to win the super bowl again.

    But I do agree with some of your thoughts...

    And Rex doesn't have an offensive style. You could guarantee that if we had Tom Brady, Rex would have no problem throwing 50 times a game. It's just when you have a garbage QB, you have to resort to garbage trick style stuff.


    The only thing that scares me about the NFL is that garbage read option stuff. It's not fun to watch and hopefully it never starts winning super bowls.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If a hit looks like a big hit, flags are getting thrown. It doesnt matter if it legal or not. If it looks like a bonecrushing hit, they are throwing the flag.
    Agreed and it's garbage.

    That Chancellor hit last night was a thing of beauty yet it almost turned the momentum of the game completely against Seattle because of where it happened on the field and the circumstances.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    I agree the spread offense is the trend of the future. I don't know if the pocket passer is going away though. You can run the spread with a pocket passer (see Brady).

    The fact of the matter is that there are only so many QBs out there who have the QB skills and are good athletes with their feet. If this is the the trend, the league is heading to a league much like MLB where only about 6 or 7 teams have a realistic shot for the Super Bowl and the rest are basically eliminated from the start.

    I think because of RGIII and Luck (and to a lesser extent Wilson), people think it is a trend. I don't see many guys like them currently in the college ranks to continue this trend. I think it was more of a anomaly that they both came out in the same draft. Wilson's (And Kapernick's)success has to do with a dominant defense than them carrying their team.

    Personally, I think RGIII is going to have a short career because he gets beat up far too much. That is a big problem with scrambling QBs. They can't stay healthy (see Michael Vick).
    This is how it's always been though regardless if your QB is a pocket passer or a read-option scrambler. Look at the SB winners of the last decade, all elite quarterbacks.

    With that said, Russell Wilson is a stud. Sure he's mobile, but he's deadly accurate. That's what's going to allow him to succeed in this league more than his ability to move out of the pocket.

    I think it's exciting. If this is the "new" NFL, sign me up.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    This is how it's always been though regardless if your QB is a pocket passer or a read-option scrambler. Look at the SB winners of the last decade, all elite quarterbacks.

    With that said, Russell Wilson is a stud. Sure he's mobile, but he's deadly accurate. That's what's going to allow him to succeed in this league more than his ability to move out of the pocket.

    I think it's exciting. If this is the "new" NFL, sign me up.
    What planet are you from ?... You think a game where the defense essentially does not exist is exciting ? ... Do you realize how rare it was to have a team score more than 35 points not even 10 years ago ? Essentially all the records to date will mean absolutely nothing in this flag football era.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 12-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    What planet are you from ?... You think a game where the defense essentially does not exist is exciting ? ... Do you realize how rare it was to have a team score more than 35 points not even 10 years ago ? Essentially all the records to date will mean absolutely nothing in this flag football era.
    I don't know your position on Rex, so I'm just going to speak generally.

    In agreement with your point, it is shocking how many people want Rex gone or say that he's playing an out-of-date, pre-historic type of football. In a league where high powered offense is the status quo, Rex is one of the few that can still shut down these offenses. Has he done so recently? Not so much. But does he have the track record and the ability to do so again? Absolutely.

    Rex certainly needs to evolve on the offensive side of the ball, but the defensive side doesn't get the credit he deserves.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    I don't know your position on Rex, so I'm just going to speak generally.

    In agreement with your point, it is shocking how many people want Rex gone or say that he's playing an out-of-date, pre-historic type of football. In a league where high powered offense is the status quo, Rex is one of the few that can still shut down these offenses. Has he done so recently? Not so much. But does he have the track record and the ability to do so again? Absolutely.

    Rex certainly needs to evolve on the offensive side of the ball, but the defensive side doesn't get the credit he deserves.
    Agreed ..l I'm generally dismayed by the direction of the NFL ... It not a competitive game anymore ... It's a skill exhibition only.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Excellent post you are spot on, and the fact that brady and peyton are still dominating doenst change that fact.

    First off you are talking about 2 top 10 QBs of all time, so they are statistical outliers. Plus Brady is running the spread, just as a pocket passer.

    People have been talking about parity in the league for a long time and the spread offense is a big reason why. The read option plays/spread option allow teams to compete with lesser talent.

    What russel wilson is doing with the seattle offense really is remarkable and shows how quickly fortunes can change in the NFL. His receivers are subpar, they dont have a great TE and their line is good not great....yet they are stomping people because they are executing the read option plays to perfection.

    Finding/drafting the next RGIII isnt going to happen, but players like ryan nassib (similar in athleticism to rogers) can execute the same zone reads and if the play is designed correctly will be able to find an open player. He is a good athlete, smart and accurate with a quick release.

    The jets getting someone like norv turner as OC is nothing but a waste....we need an innovative offensive mind with spread experience, who isnt married to the same playbook he developed 20 years ago.

    A guy like jeff tedford as OC (if rex stays) would be perfect for developing a QB, running the offense from top to bottom as he has been a HC for a long time, and being able to incorporate the spread/read option into the offense.

    I hope we find someone to lead the organization that is forward thinking rather then backward
    Great point about statistical outliers!
    Brady & Payton, and even to more of that extent Ryan in Atlanta.
    Ryan's only successful because he has STUDS!
    White, Julio Jones, gonzo, Turner, Rogers,
    Seriously, if he doesn't win this year, forget it!
    He won't win this year.
    Brady's also one of the most PROTECTED QBs in the league by the refs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us