Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember between 2006 - 2010 when we thought Tanny aka "trader mike" was a top GM

Remember between 2006 - 2010 when we thought Tanny aka "trader mike" was a top GM

I do

It's unfortunate that simply getting a QB these days is the judgement of whether someone is a good GM.

Still managed to pick Mo, a pro bowler, extremely late in the first round. Even Coples looks like he could be turning into a star. He also drafted Revis who will end up being the best CB of our generation.

Getting a QB is the toughest thing for any coach and GM and it masks everything.

The worst decision Tannenbaum made was re-signing Sanchez to that deal... And it's probably going to cost him his job.

I think he should be gone as well, but he hasn't been a bad GM by any means. 2 AFC championship games under his watch despite a horrible QB. That's tough to do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Remember when you made good threads?

I don't.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I checked out a Giant board yesterday(While this was down for the 4 time in 3 days) and if I didn't know better I would swear I was on JI with posters that changed their names.. Fans which is short for fanatic are all mostly nuts..

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I do
    Because fans did not know the details of the deal. Revis resigned to an extension with a 4 mill 1st year cap, I thought was impossible, but what he did was give him 6 years of SB and let him opt out after two.

The guy ran a Ponzi scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's unfortunate that simply getting a QB these days is the judgement of whether someone is a good GM.

Still managed to pick Mo, a pro bowler, extremely late in the first round. Even Coples looks like he could be turning into a star. He also drafted Revis who will end up being the best CB of our generation.

Getting a QB is the toughest thing for any coach and GM and it masks everything.

The worst decision Tannenbaum made was re-signing Sanchez to that deal... And it's probably going to cost him his job.

I think he should be gone as well, but he hasn't been a bad GM by any means. 2 AFC championship games under his watch despite a horrible QB. That's tough to do.
    true. if sanchez turned out to be very good, all the other messups would be minimized. but in today's nfl where star qbs run the league, gms are forced to take their shots to find one. once you get a good qb, then you build the rest of the positions.

make it happen Tanny!

Hall Of Fame
    When you take a QB high in the draft and are wrong this is what happens. Especially under the old CBA.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Because fans did not know the details of the deal. Revis resigned to an extension with a 4 mill 1st year cap, I thought was impossible, but what he did was give him 6 years of SB and let him opt out after two.

The guy ran a Ponzi scheme.
    I said this yesterday in another thread that Tanny's "cap guru" status is way over rated. He came up with that poison pill contract for Curtis Martin and he was anointed this status. He has over paid for average players, mortgaged the future to keep others, and has made poor decisions in pursuing certain free agents.

Yes, we all thought he was a great In my opinion the whole direction of the franchise changed in 2008 when we signed Favre. The Jets started to make personnel decisions based on factors other then the on field performance of the team. Even the selection of Ryan as a coach, echoed that as we needed a showman besides being a football man.

Woody got lucky his first 2 years, and those were his most imp't years as that is when he needed to sell his PSL's.

In many respects this is unfair to Mike T. With Mangini his draft picks (with a glaring exception) trades, and free agent signings were first rate.

One has to wonder how much of the change in Tannenbaum was self motivated or came from the top. If it came from the top he deserves to stay, get rid of Rex, and build the way he knows how.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 12-24-2012 at 11:13 AM.

That's what happens when your HC doesn't instill any discipline, accountability, develop players and his team is unprepared on Sundays and you are in charge of the football operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Yes, we all thought he was a great In my opinion the whole direction of the franchise changed in 2008 when we signed Favre. The Jets started to make personnel decisions based on factors other then on field performance of the team. Even the selection of Ryan as a coach, echoed that as we needed a showman besides being a football man.

Woody got lucky his first 2 years, and those were his most imp't years as that is when he needed to sell his PSL's.

In many respects this is unfair to Mike T. With Mangini his draft picks (with a glaring exception) and trades, and free agent signings were first rate.

One has to wonder how much of the change in Tannenbaum we self motivated or came from the top. If it came from the top he deserves to stay, get rid of Rex, and build the way he knows how.
    Alot of truth in this. I've heard Namath basically state this too. Fwiw. Only Woody and Mike T know the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Alot of truth in this. I've heard Namath basically state this too. Fwiw. Only Woody and Mike T know the situation.
    That is very true and Woody and Mike T are not talking nor will they. One also has to wonder about the background to the Tebow debacle. We hear stories of Rex and Tanny sitting in an airport getting a text about the Peyton Denver signing and Tanny immediately calling the Denver GM to ask about Tebow. If so, then that seems to be all on Rex and Tanny but who knows? With so many behind the scene reports coming out from the loose lips of the Jet family it would be interesting to learn the truth.

There are different skills that make a good GM. Mike T did not excel in long term planning. It doesnt mean he "sucked."

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Remember between 2006 - 2010 when we thought Tanny aka "trader mike" was a top GM
    The problem is since the end of the 2011 lockout his personnel moves have sucked.

The players and depth/roster has been bad but I just don't understand all these huge guaranteed contracts and extensions these past couple years. That's what did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    There are different skills that make a good GM. Mike T did not excel in long term planning. It doesnt mean he "sucked."
    But Woody sets the direction. If Woody says to him we have to win now and take all necessary risks to try and do that doesn't Tannenbaum have to tow the line?

Rex inherited a stacked team that went far into the playoffs despite being led by a not too efficient rookie qb.

All Pro
    That shortened post lock out off season was a killer. Giving Holmes all that money, thinking Brad Smith was easily replaceable and a poor draft.

Also, this is stating the obvious but we all knew those years of only having 3 or 4 draft picks would haunt us in the future. He had 0 long term vision. He took his 2 shots at the Superbowl (understandably) and just kind of seemed disjointed from there.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 12-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

But Woody sets the direction. If Woody says to him we have to win now and take all necessary risks to try and do that doesn't Tannenbaum have to tow the line?

Rex inherited a stacked team that went far into the playoffs despite being led by a not too efficient rookie qb.
    At least Hermie had 2 QB's with his stacked team who did Rex have?? Other then Revis and Mangold who were the other great players??

We don't know what Woody says behind the scenes. I still can't figure out the Tebow move, or who was behind it. My best guess is that it was a Tanny/Rex move that backfired.

Rex is arrogant enough to think he can coach or handle any situation. Once he realized how lacking Tebow's talents were it was too late. Hence, we have the embarrassing situation we have now.