Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remember between 2006 - 2010 when we thought Tanny aka "trader mike" was a top GM

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    That shortened post lock out off season was a killer. Giving Holmes all that money, thinking Brad Smith was easily replaceable and a poor draft.
    Nobody thought Brad Smith was easily replacable. It's the fact that Buffalo gave him a stupid amount of money. Something they are absolutely regretting as well.

He was a good player, but just not worth that money so the Jets did the right thing in letting him leave.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Yes, we all thought he was a great In my opinion the whole direction of the franchise changed in 2008 when we signed Favre. The Jets started to make personnel decisions based on factors other then the on field performance of the team. Even the selection of Ryan as a coach, echoed that as we needed a showman besides being a football man.

Woody got lucky his first 2 years, and those were his most imp't years as that is when he needed to sell his PSL's.

In many respects this is unfair to Mike T. With Mangini his draft picks (with a glaring exception) trades, and free agent signings were first rate.

One has to wonder how much of the change in Tannenbaum was self motivated or came from the top. If it came from the top he deserves to stay, get rid of Rex, and build the way he knows how.
    I kind of disagree with that. Many people were saying at the time that Rex was the perfect choice for HC. I remember Bob Ryan on ATH saying that Rex Ryan would be a great fit for the Jets as HC.

Plus, nobody really knew him as a showman before the hire.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    The players and depth/roster has been bad but I just don't understand all these huge guaranteed contracts and extensions these past couple years. That's what did it for me.
    And here you have identified Tannenbaum's biggest short coming. I believe that the Jets top brass did not look at Sanchez as being mentally tough. Rex was completely tied to Mark and even came out at one presser and said that as long as I am the coach of this team Mark is my qb. After the flirtation with Manning they though the extension would instill confidence in Sanchez and his performance would make the contract worthwhile.

The Holmes contract was another glaring error. Instead of looking at a talented player and knowing the guy is trouble the ego of Rex took over and the Jet brass thought that Rex can handle him. Huge mistake.

The Jets tied their fortunes to the abilities of Sanchez and he was not worth it. The Jets thought that Rex could handle any problem child and he could not.

Hence the trouble we are in.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But Woody sets the direction. If Woody says to him we have to win now and take all necessary risks to try and do that doesn't Tannenbaum have to tow the line?

Rex inherited a stacked team that went far into the playoffs despite being led by a not too efficient rookie qb.
    People keep saying this was a stacked team.

Really? 23-25 the three years before Rex came in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex inherited a stacked team that went far into the playoffs despite being led by a not too efficient rookie qb.
    With all due respect, that is a myth. Who were the recievers Rex inherited, Chancey Stuckey was a starter!

He also had no QB! Where was it stacked?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And here you have identified Tannenbaum's biggest short coming. I believe that the Jets top brass did not look at Sanchez as being mentally tough. Rex was completely tied to Mark and even came out at one presser and said that as long as I am the coach of this team Mark is my qb. After the flirtation with Manning they though the extension would instill confidence in Sanchez and his performance would make the contract worthwhile.

The Holmes contract was another glaring error. Instead of looking at a talented player and knowing the guy is trouble the ego of Rex took over and the Jet brass thought that Rex can handle him. Huge mistake.

The Jets tied their fortunes to the abilities of Sanchez and he was not worth it. The Jets thought that Rex could handle any problem child and he could not.

Hence the trouble we are in.
    1. That is true and it was a gamble that did not work. Reminds me of when they elected Namath offensive captain in order to give him more responsibility and he led them to the Super Bowl.

2. No. People on here wanted Holmes over Edwards. I remember that. A lot of the experts were saying that the Jets had to keep Holmes because he was younger.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini left Rex a very good team poised to make a run. Yes, there was no qb but there was an outstanding OLine that even with opposing defenses stacking the box the Jets were able to lead the league in rushing.

The defense was first rate and went on to lead the league the following year.

If the Jets didn't trade up for Sanchez and took Freeman at their projected position they would have had much improved depth.

Of course that is not as splashy a move is drafting the GQ coverboy who dates supermodels from Southern Cal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini left Rex a very good team poised to make a run. Yes, there was no qb but there was an outstanding OLine that even with opposing defenses stacking the box the Jets were able to lead the league in rushing.

The defense was first rate and went on to lead the league the following year.

If the Jets didn't trade up for Sanchez and took Freeman at their projected position they would have had much improved depth.

Of course that is not as splashy a move is drafting the GQ coverboy who dates supermodels from Southern Cal.
    They were 18th in points allowed and Rex put in his new system(And some players) that got them to number 1.. Plus until Favre's arm went that helped the Jets D..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

2. No. People on here wanted Holmes over Edwards. I remember that. A lot of the experts were saying that the Jets had to keep Holmes because he was younger.
    The reality is that they were both bad boys and there was a reason we got them so cheap. You never want to be married with a long term contract to a bad boy.

As soon as Holmes saw the money he reverted and was a tremendous detriment to team chemistry.

The Jets should have signed neither long term. If someone was stupid enough to offer either one of them long term contracts then we should have said goodbye and used that money somewhere else. I don't care what other people on this board says. The board is not composed of professional front office people.

For a team built to win now Hill was also the wrong draft pick. He has tremendous talent and upside but as Collingsworth said he never saw a receiver play in this league as raw as Hill.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tebow move was Rex reacting like a 5 year old, which he does all the time.
    when someone make him look bad or cost him an important game Rex is focused only on that issue.

just like after Manning beat us in AFC championship game because we had too many injured corners, what Rex DID? push to trade for Cro AND pIck a corner in the first round.

i am sure that after what Tebow did to the Jets and Rex last year in Denver, Rex ignores the real problem(putting slow and bad players like Smith and Scott on the field) and choose to believe Tebow is some kind of wizard.

well after the trade Tebow started practice and Rex saw he is terrible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    They were 18th in points allowed and Rex put in his new system(And some players) that got them to number 1.. Plus until Favre's arm went that helped the Jets D..
    And Chad Pennington who we released to sign Favre went to a one win team and beat us at home on the last game of the year to win the division.

Yes, Rex's scheme greatly improved the D. His true calling is as a DC. That doesn't mean though that another coach couldn't have come in here and with the Jets signing a veteran game manager type qb (while grooming a guy like Freeman) and signing some free agents on D we couldn't have been a better team and gone further in 2009.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we all thought he was a great In my opinion the whole direction of the franchise changed in 2008 when we signed Favre. The Jets started to make personnel decisions based on factors other then the on field performance of the team. Even the selection of Ryan as a coach, echoed that as we needed a showman besides being a football man.

Woody got lucky his first 2 years, and those were his most imp't years as that is when he needed to sell his PSL's.

In many respects this is unfair to Mike T. With Mangini his draft picks (with a glaring exception) trades, and free agent signings were first rate.

One has to wonder how much of the change in Tannenbaum was self motivated or came from the top. If it came from the top he deserves to stay, get rid of Rex, and build the way he knows how.
    Absolutely. Look at the trajectory of GB vs NYJ post Favre.

Additionally and interestingly, Forbes magazine had the NYJ as a top 5 organization in drafting from 2005 to 2008.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I do
    Yes, it was before Woody Johnson started meddling.

Simple as that.

1) Woody wanted Favre.

Future HOF QBs that refuse to hang em up do not go well with second year HCs. ...............

2) More Tebow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I do
    I do also. Tanny has been criticized rather heavily in recent years, but I think late in the season most fans are realizing they were a little hard on the guy.

He's certainly made more mistakes than done good things for the organization recently, but it isn't as bad as it seems.

Most people were criticizing him earlier this season and saying he's done nothing to replenish talent lost on the roster. Well, Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples say hello.

Those two players have at least me realize that he HAS in fact added some pretty good players to the defense. Also, on offense I have always liked Jeremy Kerley.

Now are these draftees putting us over the top? NO. In fact, we are steadily going downhill.

I just believe with more focus and some FA acquisitions he can get things back on track. I support giving him one more season so we can see if this things gets turned around at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace have been our linebackers for over half a decade.

Get him out of here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    With all due respect, that is a myth. Who were the recievers Rex inherited, Chancey Stuckey was a starter!

He also had no QB! Where was it stacked?
    The offensive line was pretty damn good, maybe best the Jets have ever had: D'Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and Woody. Thomas Jones and Tony Richardson combined with that line made for a really good running game. I think it's a big black mark on Tannenbaums record that he replaced those players (the ones that are gone) with downgrades.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Remember when you made good threads?

I don't.
    10PTC87 is the ultimate slayer of ****ty posters.

Well done fine sir.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Because fans did not know the details of the deal. Revis resigned to an extension with a 4 mill 1st year cap, I thought was impossible, but what he did was give him 6 years of SB and let him opt out after two.

The guy ran a Ponzi scheme.
    I think that's a pretty good analogy. He mortgaged the future, both financially and with draft picks. Now it has caught up to him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny and Mangini did a great job together of putting together a SB capable team in 08 and 09. The 10 team was already in decline. Tanny did everything right to get this team at it's absolute peak when the stadium was ready and seats had to be sold.

The downside is he has missed on 2 first day picks at QB and drafted a bust pass rusher with a high first round pick. Its highly unlikely that Tanny with Rex can rebuild the Jets through the draft the way Tanny and Mangini did through a combination of the draft and FA.