Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Jets mail it in against Buffalo?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    No, Rex should try to keep the game close because an embarrassing loss might cost him his job.

Ending the season with 3 embarrassing losses in a row would piss Woody off. If the Jets lose badly to the Bills, Rex Ryan might get fired on Monday.
    theres always last year..... I mean next year.

Freudian slip........

No they shouldn't but likely will. This team has 0 heart.

Talking

Win lose win. Lose. Win lose . Hmmmmmm. What to do. What to do? Whatever helps us more for next season should be done cause this season is over!

That's a good point about a loss would improve the chance to finish third rather than 2nd ,therefore get an easier schedule.

I would rather have the easy schedule and make the playoffs than have pride in finishing second (again )

About mailing it in .. I don't think pro players would do that. Not with the threat of a career ending injury because your teammate is dogging it.

I feel the Bills player are in a better mindset to beat the Jets .
    We kind of set them into another bad season right out of the gate in week 1
    They might have a edge in motivation,

I live in the San Diego area now (retired from NJ)
    The Chargers are in poor shape. When they lost at home in a blacked out game they hit rock bottom. I believe after the Jets made fools of themselves on Monday night San Diego was more motivated to at least be the second biggest failure of 2012
    They have Philip Rivers we have nada
    The Bills just might want the win more than the Jets
    so that's fine with me

I want a super bowl and we are a long way away
    Lets set the parts toward one

All Pro
    They wont mail it in.

Lot of guys playing hard to keep their job here next year or to at least put some good film out there when other coaches scout them in free agency. They dont care about a kid from college who may be taking their job.

Doesnt matter though. Team is not good at all.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets don't need to go anywhere near the post office. Rex and Tony will ensure a losing game plan. Does Buffalo have any healthy running backs left? They should run all over us. Our special teams should give up at least one TD. I'm sure Mo Wilk and Braylon will beast, but it will not be enough.

Hopefully, we'll have a high enough draft pick for Damontre Moore.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    You don't tell them to quit, but you also don't put them in a position to win. You basically call a gameplan that can't succeed. Basically just do what we did on sunday again yes?
    That's assuming the coaches want to lose.

Do you think Sparano would choose to make himself look even worse, so that the organisation that is going to fire him come Monday benefits next year, while he's out of a job?

Do you think Rex wants to give Woody any more reason to fire him?

Wow that's an interesting perspective on the subject. Hadn't considered the scheduling matchups next season by finishing last in the division. But do we really finish last in the division if we lose to Buffalo being that we beat them in Week 1?
    Yes.

Head to head would be 1-1.
    Both would be 2-4 in the AFC East.

Therefore the tiebreaker would become their AFC record and Buffalo would be 5-7 as opposed to the Jets' 4-8 mark, meaning we would finish dead last.

Hall Of Fame
    I would not call is "mailing it in" but at this point I think it would be a nice game to evaluate young players. And if we improve our draft position then that is fine by me.

Is there any possibility of getting into the Top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If we lose to Buffalo we'll finish dead last and get Kansas City and Jacksonville next season instead of Oakland and Tennessee. If we win and Miami loses to New England, we're back in second with San Diego and Indianapolis.

Our schedule next season will be difficult enough with the AFC North and NFC South.

I hope Greg gets more time this week and plays well, but other than that I wouldn't mind a loss at all.
    This stuff means nothing to me.. Because I have seen enough playoff appearances in my life.. It is nothing new to me...

If we were to be a good team next year "AND THAT IS A HUGE IF" capable of winning the super bowl then we would be able to beat Indianapolis.. HELL we beat them this year with this ****ty team..

We are expecting to be in cap hell next season.. and I am looking for a fresh postsanchez season of "REBUILDING" (does anybody do that anymore) I will be happy to take next season as a losing year if we have a capable GM and are freeing up cap space and trading players (Revis( for high draft choices.. And we look like we are heading in the right direction..

I just can't "ON THE FIELD" bring myself to root against the Jets under any circumstances less than a gun to my head!!

Hall Of Fame
    Yes.

Therefore the tiebreaker would become their AFC record and Buffalo would be 5-7 as opposed to the Jets' 4-8 mark, meaning we would finish dead last.
    And would get a last place schedule next year.

NFC South schedule will be a doozy and you know the NFL is going to make us travel to NO and ATL while letting NE play them both @ home.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

NFC South schedule will be a doozy and you know the NFL is going to make us travel to NO and ATL while letting NE play them both @ home.
    This is discussed every year. The schedule is pre-determined years in advance but for the two games against AFC oppnents based upon final standings.

Next year we are home against: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and the AFC West team that finishes in our same position.

We are away against: Baltimore, Cincy, Atlanta, Carolina and the AFC South team that finishes in our same position.

Like a previous poster says, if we win and Miami loses we will end up in 2nd place. If we lose, we end up in last.

That means not only a draft pick difference but the difference between playing @Indy and Home against San Diego vs. @ Jacksonville and home against KC.

I'll take the better draft pick and latter schedule.

Will they tank it? NO
    Am I hoping for a loss? YES
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 12-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Schedule is already set.

Jets will travel to Atlanta and Carolina while hosting New Orleans and Tampa Bay.

Same as New England, like we are every single season minus two games.

Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    This stuff means nothing to me.. Because I have seen enough playoff appearances in my life.. It is nothing new to me...

If we were to be a good team next year "AND THAT IS A HUGE IF" capable of winning the super bowl then we would be able to beat Indianapolis.. HELL we beat them this year with this ****ty team..

We are expecting to be in cap hell next season.. and I am looking for a fresh postsanchez season of "REBUILDING" (does anybody do that anymore) I will be happy to take next season as a losing year if we have a capable GM and are freeing up cap space and trading players (Revis( for high draft choices.. And we look like we are heading in the right direction..

I just can't "ON THE FIELD" bring myself to root against the Jets under any circumstances less than a gun to my head!!
    Indianapolis in Indianapolis is a complete 180.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    More than yesterday? Is that even possible?
    +1

O-line has given up. All 11 sacks can't be blamed on the QB.

Silly boy.

They will not even have try, just a regular game. Done, 6-10.

It all becomes about draft position now... Losing one more game can push the Jets draft position up several spots, and how many times have we lost out on an impact player because we were off by just a few spots on draft day?

Here are the other teams who could finish 6-10. How many of these teams would the Jets leapfrog over if we all have the same record?

Buffalo
    Cleveland
    Tennessee
    San Diego
    Tampa Bay
    Carolina
    Arizona

I really hate to say it, but this turns out to be a very important game for the Jets to LOSE. Losing against Buffalo could push us up 3 spots on the board MINIMUM if we all wind up with the same record of 6-10.

So what say you? Should the Jets mail it in here for draft position? My personal feeling is yes.

Rookie
    Yes.

Actually, common opponent comes before conference record when breaking ties within the division. Here are the common opponents for each, and the results of each game...

Team NYJ BUF
    NE L L L L
    MIA W L W L
    Hou L L
    Ind W L
    Ten L L
    Jax W W
    SF L L
    Sea L L
    StL W L
    Az W W

Total it up and the Jets are 5-7 against common opponents, while Buffalo is 3-9. We clinched 3rd place!

Do we have all seven of our draft selections for next year or did Tanny screw that up as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Do we have all seven of our draft selections for next year or did Tanny screw that up as well?
    I believe he mailed our 4th away to Denver for Tebow.