Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason La Canfora: Jets explore potential GMs, look to keep Tannenbaum in cap job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Which is why Wade Phillips stayed there for 4-5 years. Right.
    He fired him. He didn't say hey, why don't we keep you around in a lesser role. He didn't let him go look for another job while still employed with DAL.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Uh...but he did. Isn't that part of the problem? He's giving these huge guaranteed contracts to players who don't even deserve them? That put us in horrible positions down the road.
    That's right. But if the football guy brings in the right players, Tanny can give them contracts.

It so fricking logical.

As a cap guy/lawyer. Absolutely. As I said, the contracts weren't the issue. The people who he was giving them to were the issue. If he had given the Sanchez contract to a deserving player, we wouldn't be discussing this.
    With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. They go hand in hand.

The Sanchez extension was terrible, sure if he was Tom Brady it would be a good one.

The Holmes contract was too big, sure if he was the second coming of Jerry Rice it wouldn't be.

Sure signing Tebow was a terrible signing, if he was RGIII it wouldn't have been.

So again I ask, what would his job be?

GM tells him who he wants and how much he's willing to pay? Then in that case there's no need for him...Just have a lawyer read the contracts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Uh...but he did. Isn't that part of the problem? He's giving these huge guaranteed contracts to players who don't even deserve them? That put us in horrible positions down the road.
    If Cowher was here he could tell Tanny;Write that contract as I have noted then get my lunch..

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    He fired him. He didn't say hey, why don't we keep you around in a lesser role. He didn't let him go look for another job while still employed with DAL.
    He shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

Plus Jerry Jones drove away Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If Cowher was here he could tell Tanny;Write that contract as I have noted then get my lunch..
    Then what's the point of having him here?

He would serve no purpose other than create potential problems...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. They go hand in hand.

The Sanchez extension was terrible, sure if he was Tom Brady it would be a good one.

The Holmes contract was too big, sure if he was the second coming of Jerry Rice it wouldn't be.

Sure signing Tebow was a terrible signing, if he was RGIII it wouldn't have been.

So again I ask, what would his job be?

GM tells him who he wants and how much he's willing to pay? Then in that case there's no need for him...Just have a lawyer read the contracts.
    That's where the crunching of the cap is needed which is what Tanny is actually good at. Don't you see?

Jets Insider VIP
    Aliens have replaced James Dolan and put him into Woody Johnson's body.

The most disheartening part of the article for Jets fans should be the NFL exec's comments.
    Last edited by SMC; 12-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.

That's right. But if the football guy brings in the right players, Tanny can give them contracts.

It so fricking logical.
    Look around the league, there's plenty of teams that manage the cap well. Let's not pretend Tannenbaum is so head and shoulders better than everyone else that we need to limit the potential candidates coming in just to keep him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

Plus Jerry Jones drove away Bill Parcells.
    Not really the Tuna stayed there 1 year more then the Jets as HC..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

As a cap guy/lawyer. Absolutely. As I said, the contracts weren't the issue. The people who he was giving them to were the issue. If he had given the Sanchez contract to a deserving player, we wouldn't be discussing this.
    Missing the point dude. It isn't about whether Tannenbaum can do a good at managing the cap, it's that we can't get a top GM while Tannenbaum is still working in the front office.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't see what is so bad about it. The Jets did this before with Bradway right?
    LOL...name another organization that has their TWO previous failed GMs still in their employ. This team has ZERO accountability. ZERO. F**K up your job? No problem we will find another job for you in the company. What a joke.

That's where the crunching of the cap is needed which is what Tanny is actually good at. Don't you see?

The league is full of cap crunchers. You don't undermine a potential candidate. I don't know how you can't see this?

Not really the Tuna stayed there 1 year more then the Jets as HC..
    Well he retired from the Jets. He didn't get pushed away.

It was well noted that Parcells and Jones did not get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Missing the point dude. It isn't about whether Tannenbaum can do a good at managing the cap, it's that we can't get a top GM while Tannenbaum is still working in the front office.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Even if that candidate knows for sure that he will be making the football decisions? And if that's true, that's just stupid. Nobody is good at everything.

How's the Jets cap situation now?

It really isn't that complicated, Tanny gets too much credit for that. There are definitive rules, read them and follow.

If you're hire a GM that doesn't understand the salary cap and its implications then you're hiring the wrong GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well he retired from the Jets. He didn't get pushed away.

It was well noted that Parcells and Jones did not get along.
    If Jones looks in the mirrior he doesn't agree with what looks back.. The Tuna knew what he was getting into with Jones..

Practice Squad
    Bring in Cowher as HC and GM like the Tuna did 97-2000??
    This is what I want....

Hall Of Fame
    Its not rocket science. There is only so much you can do with a contract and spreading its money out over time. Its not like Tanny possess some magical mathematical powers that no one else has.