Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jason La Canfora: Jets explore potential GMs, look to keep Tannenbaum in cap job.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Woody just doesn't want to eat the last 2 yrs of Tanny's contract. Same thing with Rex. So it's possible if he hires a new GM he tells him give Rex one more yr and then it's your call whether to keep him or let him go.

If that happens. Yippe yippe joy joy for the 2013 season. Total disaster. But a top pick in the '14 draft.
    These days in sports $$$$$$ is more important than winning. We see it with Jerry Jones, and with the Steinbrenners limiting Brian Cashman.

We also see it in colleges as big name coaches are getting big contracts and failing (i.e. Rich Rodriguez at Michigan)

The obvious candidate to come in as President of Operations and GM under that circumstance is Parcells. Incidentally, he would be my first choice, regardless.

But it's harder to see the set-up working with anyone else.

Wasn't this the whole idea of keeping Bradway in the first place?

Veteran
    If a GM candidate is worried about Mike staying I wouldn't want that candidate anyway! What is this person worried about? Mike is getting demoted and he's worried about looking over his shoulder? Please you have an inferiority complex if you're worried about some cap guy that has been with your new boss. Next!

Anyway I have said Polian would be a good fit and would be interesting to see if Rex gets another year under the watchful eye of the new guy..

Practice Squad
    What scares me is the potiential to hire within, especially if Tanny is sticking around. Who would they promote, I don't know, but I'm sure they would be willing to work with Tanny.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seanmac31 View Post
    The obvious candidate to come in as President of Operations and GM under that circumstance is Parcells. Incidentally, he would be my first choice, regardless.

This would be the ONLY scenario in which I could envision this working. I'm pretty sure Bill is really retired this time.

Veteran
    If Tannenbaum knows the situation isn' going to attract viable GM candidates he should grow some balls and resign.

Then he can enjoy some public speaking engagements while he ponders his future in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    There are no "football guy" GM's. All GM's have an immense amount of knowledge on structuring deals, fair market offers, etc. It's part of the job. Telling them they have to keep Tanny is saying you think their an idiot and can't do their job.
    True. Usually the assistant GM is more of the accountant type and the number cruncher for a "football guy" type GM.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    If a GM candidate is worried about Mike staying I wouldn't want that candidate anyway! What is this person worried about? Mike is getting demoted and he's worried about looking over his shoulder? Please you have an inferiority complex if you're worried about some cap guy that has been with your new boss. Next!

Anyway I have said Polian would be a good fit and would be interesting to see if Rex gets another year under the watchful eye of the new guy..
    There it is!

If you are coming in, you know Tannenbaum is bad, so why are you afraid of him? Especially if this new GM has a good relationship with Woody which negates the Tanny-Woody relationship.

I actually understand Woody's line of thinking. He's in a tough spot. He sees his team that came close a few times and has won more games than it has lost under this regime and he doesn't want to throw out the baby with the bath water by cleaning house.

He also sees the massive problems this team currently faces that aren't going to get better unless something or somebody changes.

He's trying to split this down the middle. It probably won't work, but bringing in a big time GM might not work either (I hear the Browns loved paying Mike Holmgrem 10 million per year to lose nearly every game they played).

He's going to pick one direction and go with it for better or worse. Fire everyone and start over, or give everybody one more year to see what happens. I'm for the latter because at least if it doesn't work there might be a franchise QB available to go along with a regime change. No such QB's anywhere in sight at the moment and whoever comes in now is going to have to win with what we currently have or something only marginally different.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmac31 View Post

When was Parcells good at evaluating and drafting players?

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Because Tannenbaum has done such an awesome job at managing our cap.

Woody needs to fire Tannenbaum, end of story. Usher in a new era.
    He might as well be used in punting practice to field punts. He's no better at cap management than he is at that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He might as well be used in punting practice to field punts. He's no better at cap management than he is at that.
    In that case, he'd give himself a $50 million extension.

He would put an end to the clowishness of this organization. With him there won't be any publicity stunts.

I dont get the Parcells infatuation either. He did a piss poor job at Miami and his way of doing things seems archaic in todays NFL.

If we keep Tanny, we will be undermining the new GM & scaring away many potential suitors.

A GM won't want to work for an owner who's constantly stepping on their toes, especially from the beginning. Just let them do their job.

If Woody decides that Tanny isn't the right guy for the job anymore, he must be removed from the organization entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    I dont get the Parcells infatuation either. He did a piss poor job at Miami and his way of doing things seems archaic in todays NFL.
    I don't love the idea but if Woody is intent on keeping Tanny the only way I can see it work is with Parcells...

What is parcells "way of doing things"?

Don't understand how people can write articles about Tannenbaum and this supposed problem drafting.

Mo Wilkerson is playing at a pro bowl level and will be there next year. They got him at the very end of the first round.

Now this year Coples looks to be trending up in that direction. His pass rushing skills are unique and beyond valuable.

If you are going to blast Tannenbaum, simply blast him for some of the cap management and the Sanchez stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Don't understand how people can write articles about Tannenbaum and this supposed problem drafting.

Mo Wilkerson is playing at a pro bowl level and will be there next year. They got him at the very end of the first round.

Now this year Coples looks to be trending up in that direction. His pass rushing skills are unique and beyond valuable.

If you are going to blast Tannenbaum, simply blast him for some of the cap management and the Sanchez stuff.
    Tebow? Holmes? wayne hunter? There is NOT one "Impact" player on this entire roster. That is talent evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Because Tannenbaum has done such an awesome job at managing our cap.

Woody needs to fire Tannenbaum, end of story. Usher in a new era.

Agreed, this is so Jets. First Bradway and now Tanny. In another decade we'll have 10 ex-GMs filling space in the hallways of Florham Park. What winning organization does this? Just an absolute joke.

That said, it is better than nothing.