Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason La Canfora: Jets explore potential GMs, look to keep Tannenbaum in cap job.

Jason La Canfora: Jets explore potential GMs, look to keep Tannenbaum in cap job.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ja...aum-in-cap-job

The Jets are reaching out to potential GM candidates, while exploring ways to keep current GM Mike Tannenbaum in a cap management role, according to league sources.

The Jets are trying to beef up their front office, particularly in personnel, given their failing in the draft and free agency in recent years. But owner Woody Johnson is looking for a way to keep Tannenbaum in a different capacity, primarily as a negotiator/cap guy, sources said. The team has quietly reached out to potential candidates to gauge interest in the bizarre arrangement, including approaching Mike Maccagnan, Houston's director of college scouting.

As expected, candidates have significant issues with the parameters, sources said. Tannenbaum has created many of the Jets issues with bloated contracts given to players like Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes, to name two, coupled with cap mismanagement that has left New York in a difficult plight heading into 2013. Furthermore, Tannenbaum has shared a very close relationship with Johnson, which naturally would be a red flag for someone joining the Jets from the outside.

Several potential GM candidates -- men expected to garner interviews for soon-to-be-open general manager jobs -- said they would never consider taking the Jets job under these circumstances and doubted that any strong candidate would.

"That's totally ridiculous," one exec said. "Only the Jets."

In the end, Johnson may have to bite the bullet and part with Tannenbaum in order to land a someone highly qualified for the position.
    Last edited by Magnus; 12-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Because Tannenbaum has done such an awesome job at managing our cap.

Woody needs to fire Tannenbaum, end of story. Usher in a new era.

I don't see what is so bad about it. The Jets did this before with Bradway right?

This is gonna get ugly. Just cut bait Woody!

Tanny is one of the biggest reasons we're in the positions we are with all these bloated contracts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I don't see what is so bad about it. The Jets did this before with Bradway right?
    And that has worked out wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    And that has worked out wonderfully.
    True, but Tanny agreed to it. So this notion that nobody is going to agree to it is a bit preposturous.

Woody still wants it his way. he fails to recognize that not everyone is an attention whoring mongrel in it for the money.

Billicek saw this early on is my theory and it hasn't changed since.

Tannenbaum needs to go. 31 other teams have a CAP problem and deal with it without the UMASS wonder.

this relationship is the crux of the franchise's problems. if tannenbaum left this job would be incredibly attractive. you'd probably have enough qualified guys who would want to come here and turn around the team.

what woody needs is someone to help him with the process, other than tannenbaum or parcells, other than someone who has an agenda. kind of like hiring an outside consultant. tannenbaum is like the new york version of rasputin. nothing can get done with him there.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Woody still wants it his way. he fails to recognize that not everyone is an attention whoring mongrel in it for the money.

Billicek saw this early on is my theory and it hasn't changed since.

Tannenbaum needs to go. 31 other teams have a CAP problem and deal with it without the UMASS wonder.
    This * 100000.

Tanny needs to be gone. If he's going to be in the new GM's way, I don't think he can even reasonably be kept even with a demotion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    This * 100000.

Tanny needs to be gone. If he's going to be in the new GM's way, I don't think he can even reasonably be kept even with a demotion.
    no reputable gm is going to tolerate sharing authority with the guy who not only drafted sanchez, but guaranteed his contract for the following year, along with his turd wr.

True, but Tanny agreed to it. So this notion that nobody is going to agree to it is a bit preposturous.
    Tanny was not a GM when he agreed to this. No competent GM would agree to this. Same old jets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There are plenty of cap guys out there to be had. Kick Tanny to the curb and hire another one after you find a new GM.

Would you want to take a job where your "partner" was also your predecessor and is still very close to your boss? No, I don't see how that could be uncomfortable at all

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this relationship is the crux of the franchise's problems. if tannenbaum left this job would be incredibly attractive. you'd probably have enough qualified guys who would want to come here and turn around the team.

what woody needs is someone to help him with the process, other than tannenbaum or parcells, other than someone who has an agenda. kind of like hiring an outside consultant. tannenbaum is like the new york version of rasputin. nothing can get done with him there.
    Bring in Cowher as HC and GM like the Tuna did 97-2000??

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Tanny was not a GM when he agreed to this. No competent GM would agree to this. Same old jets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Right. So hire a guy with football knowledge who's looking to move up in the world.

BY the way, not SOJ. SOJ we would have won the last two games and lost to Buffalo.

This is just plain sad. Well I'm gonna stop watching football for a while. I'm not wasting my Sundays ... especially beautiful fall Sundays ... watching this garbage. This team, from the owner down, is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Would you want to take a job where your "partner" was also your predecessor and is still very close to your boss? No, I don't see how that could be uncomfortable at all
    Wait a minute. "Partner"? It doesn't say partner.

Right. So hire a guy with football knowledge who's looking to move up in the world.

BY the way, not SOJ. SOJ we would have won the last two games and lost to Buffalo.
    You are right...this team is worse than SOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You are right...this team is worse than SOJ.
    But you can't come up with a new statement, can you?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    no reputable gm is going to tolerate sharing authority with the guy who not only drafted sanchez, but guaranteed his contract for the following year, along with his turd wr.
    Agreed. That goodness for Woody that he was born into money. He wouldn't have gotten very far keeping bad executives on the payroll because they were good guys.