Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason La Canfora: Jets explore potential GMs, look to keep Tannenbaum in cap job.

The new GM isn't going to be comfortable keeping a guy that has such a close relationship with the owner within the organization. He doesn't need subordinates giving him the end around and appealing directly to the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wait a minute. "Partner"? It doesn't say partner.
    If you don't get it then I can't help you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Bring in Cowher as HC and GM like the Tuna did 97-2000??
    Why on earth would Cowher opt into this mess? He'd have to be given full autonomy...which Woody is apparently unwilling to give.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think the Jets need to move in a completely new direction...the similarities to a past error/era are too familiar.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/03/sp...-the-spot.html

Ronnie Lott, Art Monk, Tony Casillas and Bill Pickel wear Super Bowl rings. Boomer Esiason was all but measured for one. But none of the other Jets know what it is to be on a real winner.

As the Jets' general manager, Steinberg has assembled players but he hasn't assembled a team. And the jury is still out on his choice of Carroll as a coach. Steinberg arrived from the Patriots with a reputation as a talent scout. But of his five first-round choices, only wide receiver Rob Moore has the look of a potential Pro Bowl player.

Blair Thomas never blossomed as a running back and is gone. Johnny Mitchell has yet to mature at tight end. Marvin Jones's development as a middle linebacker has been delayed by injuries. Aaron Glenn is a rookie cornerback.

When unrestricted free agents suddenly were available in 1993, Hess opened the Jets' treasury. Steinberg signed Lott and the since departed defensive lineman, Leonard Marshall; he used Hess's millions to take Esiason's contract off the Bengals' hands. This season he added Monk, kicker Nick Lowery and backup quarterback Jack Trudeau.
    While the current Jets have not spent as freely (even though they have signed FA's) they have been very careless with their draft picks, and seem to be settling for inferior players. One of my biggest complaints has been the musical chairs played with the bottom roster spots seemingly on a weekly basis and the fact that these players end up seeing significant playing time.

If it requires letting Tanny go to get a top GM prospect here Woody has to do it. There is no Bill Parcells waiting in the wings to come in here and sort out a mess in another season or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If you don't get it then I can't help you.
    If you are suggesting talk behind the back, fine.

Bottom line is that somebody's going to take the job. Now if this person has enough gravitas on them, it will negate that relationship because of that gravitas.

And besides, the contracts weren't the problem. Who Tanny was giving them too was the problem. If he gives the contracts to deserving players (which the football guy would decide), then it doesn't matter does it?

And another thing, why do people want to work for Dallas? Jerry Jones is the same type of owner as Woody Johnson. And don't say he isn't, the evidence speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 12-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Honestly, this is an F-in Joke.

This isn't a fix it's just continuing to kick the problems down the road. It's not just the bad decisions it's the organizational philosophy.

Negotiate, really? He's done such a good job with the Holmes, Sanchez, Harris contracts - definitely need him negotiating!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Why on earth would Cowher opt into this mess? He'd have to be given full autonomy...which Woody is apparently unwilling to give.
    HC and GM isn't enough autonomy?? Do you want Woody to give him controlling interest in the team as well?? If Woody knew the team was in good hands I think he would be happy with that..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

What a stupid idea. Woody needs to get some balls and cut the cord completely with Tannenbaum. Someone like Bill Polian wouldn't even interview for this job knowing that Tannenbaum would still be in the picture. It just limits our choices too much

HC and GM isn't enough autonomy?? Do you want Woody to give him controlling interest in the team as well?? If Woody knew the team was in good hands I think he would be happy with that..
    That's what I'm saying. If Tanny is not going to make personnel decisions and just do contracts, that's fine with me.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Because Tannenbaum has done such an awesome job at managing our cap.

Woody needs to fire Tannenbaum, end of story. Usher in a new era.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Woody still wants it his way. he fails to recognize that not everyone is an attention whoring mongrel in it for the money.

Billicek saw this early on is my theory and it hasn't changed since.

Tannenbaum needs to go. 31 other teams have a CAP problem and deal with it without the UMASS wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    What a stupid idea. Woody needs to get some balls and cut the cord completely with Tannenbaum. Someone like Bill Polian wouldn't even interview for this job knowing that Tannenbaum would still be in the picture. It just limits our choices too much

That's what I'm saying. If Tanny is not going to make personnel decisions and just do contracts, that's fine with me.
    What does that even mean? "just do contracts?"

Do you mean act as a lawyer?

It's corporate politics. A quality leader doesn't want any holdover allegiance from the old regime to undermine his authority.

Tanny must go!

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    This is just plain sad. Well I'm gonna stop watching football for a while. I'm not wasting my Sundays ... especially beautiful fall Sundays ... watching this garbage. This team, from the owner down, is embarrassing.
    you'll be missed.

And another thing, why do people want to work for Dallas? Jerry Jones is the same type of owner as Woody Johnson. And don't say he isn't, the evidence speaks for itself.
    I don't understand why people do not understand GM's want autonomy. Good GM's demand it. You don't go out looking for a good GM with demands that he keep Tanny or Rex or both. It's a waste of time because you won't get one.

As for Woody being like Jerry, no. Not at all. Jerry will fire your ass if you're incompetent. Woody seems to have Rex syndrome, afraid to make the tough decisions over friendships.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

As a cap guy/lawyer. Absolutely. As I said, the contracts weren't the issue. The people who he was giving them to were the issue. If he had given the Sanchez contract to a deserving player, we wouldn't be discussing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I don't understand why people do not understand GM's want autonomy. Good GM's demand it. You don't go out looking for a good GM with demands that he keep Tanny or Rex or both. It's a waste of time because you won't get one.

As for Woody being like Jerry, no. Not at all. Jerry will fire your ass if you're incompetent. Woody seems to have Rex syndrome, afraid to make the tough decisions over friendships.
    Which is why Wade Phillips stayed there for 4-5 years. Right.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

As a cap guy/lawyer. Absolutely. As I said, the contracts weren't the issue. The people who he was giving them to were the issue. If he had given the Sanchez contract to a deserving player, we wouldn't be discussing this.
    give this man a gold candy cane!

excellent observation

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

He received a degree in accounting and a minor in sports management from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He then graduated cum laude from Tulane University Law School where he earned his certificate in sports law.

He received a degree in accounting and a minor in sports management from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He then graduated cum laude from Tulane University Law School where he earned his certificate in sports law.
    Because that's who he is. He's not a personnel guy. He's a money guy.

Uh...but he did. Isn't that part of the problem? He's giving these huge guaranteed contracts to players who don't even deserve them? That put us in horrible positions down the road.