Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex should be re-signed NOW and given contract extension

Rex is a salvageable coach. If you pair him with a competent offensive coordinator and a defense that could put pressure on the QB without a blitz, he can win a Super Bowl. He got close twice and you just cannot discount that. Is he a hall of fame coach, no. Can we win with him, yes.

I can see him winning a super bowl when he is the head coach of another organization whose ownership gives him the pieces of the puzzle. What the hell is Tanny do to sure up this team in the off season? Landry and Bell, good job. Tebow? Uhhhhh!

Rex should just be given a lifetime DC position at a HC salary. He's that good at what he does.

Ya, right more suck from Wrecks Lying

So we can beat losing teams and self destruct against winning teams. We will really get far through the playoffs to our guaranteed Super Bowl with "the best team that I ever had". Can you name a "ground and pound" team that is in the play offs?
    Last edited by Stillafan; 12-24-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Rex should just be given a lifetime DC position at a HC salary. He's that good at what he does.
    That's what I wanted to say. He is truly a defensive guru. He has this mediocre defense overachieving. A defense without arguably the best defensive player alive.

DRUGS ARE BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10

I'm seeing a downward trend here. I'm ok w keeping him one more season but why is it that we need to give him an extension? What has he done to deserve that?
    Exactly. But even if you reason the causes for the decline were outside Rex's control, what exactly does he do well as a headcoach? Pick quality OC and DC? No. Play the players who deserve to play? No. Develop young players potential? No. Make effective half time adjustments? No. Manage play clock well? No. Game plan well? No. Hold players accountable? No. But he does have a good line of B.S.

All Pro
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10

I'm seeing a downward trend here. I'm ok w keeping him one more season but why is it that we need to give him an extension? What has he done to deserve that?
    That's what happens when you get to the CG two years in a row, you pay for it with high draft position and the strategy to mortgage the future with trading away picks and signing FA's to huge contracts is that of the GM who predates him (and in fact hired him)

All League
    I know Tanny is tp blame for the roster, but Rex deserves a lot of the blame. He was the one that started Hunter after the 2011 disaster. Plus, how the hell could you not see that you had a better option (Howard) riding the bench?

Was it Rex's choice to with Tone over BE? The Tebow thing was all Rex. Granted, Tanny should have just told him no, and because he didn't, he will likely lose his job.

I love Rex the coach, but Rex the talent evaluator is making it difficult for The team to win.

My question is this, if Rex stays, will he still have the same type of input come Free agency and the draft? if so, then we are not fixing anything.

11-5
    8-8
    6-10

I agree - he's done nothing to deserve an extension. Is the OP Tanny LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Exactly. But even if you reason the causes for the decline were outside Rex's control, what exactly does he do well as a headcoach? Pick quality OC and DC? No. Play the players who deserve to play? No. Develop young players potential? No. Make effective half time adjustments? No. Manage play clock well? No. Game plan well? No. Hold players accountable? No. But he does have a good line of B.S.
    Agreed. We expect rookie players to learn from their mistakes and improve in 4 years. Rex should be held to the same standards. He's stubborn, doesn't make adjustments during the game, and puts more stock in seniority than talent. He is as much to blame as Tanny for the weakness in our roster. And why does he get all the credit for our defense? Don't we have a DC?

A fire sale sounds like a buyer's market to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    DRUGS ARE BAD.
    Haha Vin - you mean drugs are badly needed while we watch this play out!

[If the reports are true and woody is looking for a gm try getting one after signing a hc to a 3 year extension. The jets have made a mess by giving extensions to people who dont deserve him. Also i am tired of hearing about 2 afc championship games. 1 he lost both and 2 how about 2 years not making the playoffs.QUOTE=Medianoche;4742149]Guys. Hear me out. Rex Ryan needs to be retained and in addition given a 3 year contract extension. Now is possibly the worst time to be firing your coach. Rex is a proven winner and has had only 1 losing season and has gotten us within 30 minutes of 2 SB appearances.

Look at the following coaches set to be fired next Monday

For sure or highly likely to be fired
    1. Andy Reid - Eagles
    2. Jim Scwartz- Lions
    3. Ron Rivera - Panthers
    4. Ken Whisenhut - Cardinals
    5. Chan Gailey - Bills
    6. Fritz Shurmur - Browns
    7. Romeo Crenell - Chiefs
    8. Dennis Allen - Raiders

Hot seat if DON'T make playoffs
    1. Jason Garrett - Cowboys
    2. Lovie Smith - Bears
    3. Mike Mularkey - Bills

Rex cannot be fired. There may be a fire sale on coaches and we can do a lot worse than Rex Ryan. At the point if I am Woody Johnson, I am talking to Rex Ryan and talking 5 year extension. He is worth to much to this organization now.

Fire Tannenbaum
    2.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec318 View Post
    [If the reports are true and woody is looking for a gm try getting one after signing a hc to a 3 year extension. The jets have made a mess by giving extensions to people who dont deserve him. Also i am tired of hearing about 2 afc championship games. 1 he lost both and 2 how about 2 years not making the playoffs.QUOTE=Medianoche;4742149]Guys. Hear me out. Rex Ryan needs to be retained and in addition given a 3 year contract extension. Now is possibly the worst time to be firing your coach. Rex is a proven winner and has had only 1 losing season and has gotten us within 30 minutes of 2 SB appearances.

Look at the following coaches set to be fired next Monday

For sure or highly likely to be fired
    1. Andy Reid - Eagles
    2. Jim Scwartz- Lions
    3. Ron Rivera - Panthers
    4. Ken Whisenhut - Cardinals
    5. Chan Gailey - Bills
    6. Fritz Shurmur - Browns
    7. Romeo Crenell - Chiefs
    8. Dennis Allen - Raiders

Hot seat if DON'T make playoffs
    1. Jason Garrett - Cowboys
    2. Lovie Smith - Bears
    3. Mike Mularkey - Bills

Rex cannot be fired. There may be a fire sale on coaches and we can do a lot worse than Rex Ryan. At the point if I am Woody Johnson, I am talking to Rex Ryan and talking 5 year extension. He is worth to much to this organization now.

Fire Tannenbaum
    [/QUOTE]

? 5 year extension???. Just who do you suppose is going to be the GM if you are married to the current HC for 5 years? Rex is a better than average HC. Rex the player/talent evaluator is terrible. Like Parcells, No matter how good the coach, you cant win with a terrible GM.

This hire is going to make or break the next 6 or 7 seasons. So in essence, this is more important than keeping Rex as the HC. Rex has been here 4 years and the team has had two disaster Decembers. What makes you think he has the pulse of the team now or will have it next year?

Just face it, if the Jets want to turn this thing around, like it or not, Rex is going to be the collateral damage. His assistants are already planning for it. If Pettine was certain that Rex would be here, he would have signed his extension already. He doesnt want to be here and be forced to work with a new HC, ala Schotty.

Jets Insider VIP
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10

Hi Buzz, I disagree about the trend. The sample size is not big enough. He's learning as a head coach. He made some big mistakes but he is a motivational coach. For that reason we keep coach. He's made the Jets revelent and interesting. I think of coaches like Cinci's who get bad writeups from the media but eventually through the draft wind up as a good team.

Anyway I vote to give Ryan 2 year extention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Hi Buzz, I disagree about the trend. The sample size is not big enough. He's learning as a head coach. He made some big mistakes but he is a motivational coach. For that reason we keep coach. He's made the Jets revelent and interesting. I think of coaches like Cinci's who get bad writeups from the media but eventually through the draft wind up as a good team.

Anyway I vote to give Ryan 2 year extention.
    If WRECKS is such a motivational coach, why did the OL quit on him Sunday? Why did he not know about the turmoil in the clubhouse last year? How come he seems to be ill at ease with the offense and openly favors the defense? How could he allow Sparano to take Suckchez out of the game for a few plays when he is just getting his rhythm going? How come his hand picked DC wants out?

I vote to allow our new GM pick his own headcoach. He has to be comfortable with his own people controlling the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    If WRECKS is such a motivational coach, why did the OL quit on him Sunday? Why did he not know about the turmoil in the clubhouse last year? How come he seems to be ill at ease with the offense and openly favors the defense? How could he allow Sparano to take Suckchez out of the game for a few plays when he is just getting his rhythm going? How come his hand picked DC wants out?

I vote to allow our new GM pick his own headcoach. He has to be comfortable with his own people controlling the team.
    Rex Ryan is to Quarterbacks as
    Kryptonite is to Superman

Is this a joke thread?

Veteran
    Gary Kubiak = Rex Ryan.

Rex needs to find his offensive Wade Phillips.

The only way he can stay on is if he brings on a new OC with an aggressive philosophy. If he wants to stay loyal to Sparano and Cavanagh then unf he has to go. There's no way this current Offensive staff can stay.

As for the Rex/Mike T. Team: You can't be a ground and pound team when you have no real RB, a poor run-blocking O-line and mediocre receiving threats. Teams knew this, stacked the box against our terrible run game and we asked Sanchez, our "leader" and 1st round QB, to get us some wins in year 4. He had little to work with but he didn't grow, didn't lead and actually regressed. Hurts like a motherf'er but Sanchez just didn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    I disagree. He may not have selected a very good OC, but he only hired one. Schotty was inherited from Mangini's time. The DC was his choice, but we've always had a top ten defense. Hard to argue with results like that.

As much as I'd like to disagree with you on playing the players that deserve to play, I can't. You are right.

When it comes to developing young players potential, we've seen guys like Kyle Wilson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Jeremy Kerley, Sione Pouha, and others improve under Rex's tutelage. So I disagree with you saying he hasn't developed talent. He has.

The Jets won a lot of games in the second half that they were trailing in, especially in 2010. So although he may not be very good at halftime adjustments recently, he has done it a lot in the past.

As a specific example, in the Chargers game in 2009, Ryan was masterful managing the play clock in that game. He's had others. Recently, it hasn't really mattered because we simply weren't good enough for it to make a difference.

Even this season, with an inferior team I might add, he gameplanned for the Patsies the first time we played them quite well. He did a much better job of gameplanning when we had better talent also. Maybe not recently, but you have to have the horses to pull off the gameplan, and at least on offense we have not had the talent.

I agree with you. He doesn't hold the players accountable often enough. It's definitely an area he needs to work on.

All in all, I don't believe it's as bad as you are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I disagree. He may not have selected a very good OC, but he only hired one. Schotty was inherited from Mangini's time. The DC was his choice, but we've always had a top ten defense. Hard to argue with results like that.

As much as I'd like to disagree with you on playing the players that deserve to play, I can't. You are right.

When it comes to developing young players potential, we've seen guys like Kyle Wilson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Jeremy Kerley, Sione Pouha, and others improve under Rex's tutelage. So I disagree with you saying he hasn't developed talent. He has.

The Jets won a lot of games in the second half that they were trailing in, especially in 2010. So although he may not be very good at halftime adjustments recently, he has done it a lot in the past.

As a specific example, in the Chargers game in 2009, Ryan was masterful managing the play clock in that game. He's had others. Recently, it hasn't really mattered because we simply weren't good enough for it to make a difference.

Even this season, with an inferior team I might add, he gameplanned for the Patsies the first time we played them quite well. He did a much better job of gameplanning when we had better talent also. Maybe not recently, but you have to have the horses to pull off the gameplan, and at least on offense we have not had the talent.

I agree with you. He doesn't hold the players accountable often enough. It's definitely an area he needs to work on.

Perhaps not. But after following the team for 46 years I'm fed up with excepting mediocrity/ almosts/if only's/false hopes/.........want excellence throughout organization (which needs to start with the right owner). More specifically I'd like an organization like the Pats, Steelers, Broncos, Colts, Packers,etc........you know, the same f......ing teams we see in the playoffs year after year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burger View Post
    I want Rex gone but my biggest fear is Rex becoming the Patriots' defensive coordinator.
    You don't have to worry about that. Kraft would rather release another audition tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Coples and Wilkenson were First rd picks, they were that because they were talented to begin with. Pouha was just as effective in 2008 as he is now. He just never got the reps backing up Jenkins.

Kerley- Rex being responsible for any development on the Offensive side of the ball is really a stretch.

And no one will ever take away his ability to game plan, but that is a DC responsibility, not a HC job.

A HC job is to establish a framework of responsibilities for the team to operate and foster a culture of performance.