Thread: More accolades for Wilkerson

More accolades for Wilkerson

Hey, we could all use a little positive energy around here, right? Read on ...

"Muhammad Wilkerson is putting together a season on par with the best we’ve seen from 3-4 defensive ends the previous four years. The unfortunate thing for Wilkerson is that fellow 3-4 end J.J. Watt is having the best defensive season we’ve ever seen in PFF’s five years. Wilkerson has been unblockable in the run game all season and that continued against the Chargers, as he collected five stops. Wilkerson especially impressed rushing the passer though, and almost single-handedly gave left guard Tyronne Green and Nick Hardwick a combined grade of -6.4. Wilkerson’s grade of +5.5 would be a career day for most 3-4 ends, but it was only his third highest grade of the season. He is a truly special talent that will be a building block for years to come."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-jets-week-16/

Undrafted Free Agent
    now if we can get somebody who knows how to draft a olb pass rusher

He'll be the same force or even better that Seymour was in NE for years. He's a better pass rusher too.

Now, all we need is 4 new linebackers.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    now if we can get somebody who knows how to draft a olb pass rusher
    This
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

Hall Of Fame
    Yay. We have a stud 3-4 end in a passing league.

Honestly. Let's pipe down on Wilk a little bit. I know we have been starved for someone who can produce on the DL but we still need a real pass rusher.

But hey, it's Christmas so lets just be thankful we have him and Coples for the future.

So how many games has the great Wilk single handedly won for the Jets this year? Yes he's a good player but a 3-4 defensive end making 4 tackles a game doesn't excite me. Where was he on that 93 yard run by Chris Johnson? I would trade Wilk for a young middle of the pack QB right now! Who would qualify as a young middle of the road QB right now? Dalton from the Bengals or Flacco or Russel Wilson from the Seahawks. I would trade Wilk for one of those 3 in a second!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    So how many games has the great Wilk single handedly won for the Jets this year? Yes he's a good player but a 3-4 defensive end making 4 tackles a game doesn't excite me. Where was he on that 93 yard run by Chris Johnson? I would trade Wilk for a young middle of the pack QB right now! Who would qualify as a young middle of the road QB right now? Dalton from the Bengals or Flacco or Russel Wilson from the Seahawks. I would trade Wilk for one of those 3 in a second!
    Great post bro

We have a 2nd year player being praised for being a top player in the league, lets instead focus on the lack of QB play, seems about right.

Since this is Christmas, I'll try to put this response in a holiday tone.You've had way too much egg-nog. Sleep it off and call back tomorrow.

what THE **** does one thing have to do with the other?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    He'll be the same force or even better that Seymour was in NE for years. He's a better pass rusher too.

Now, all we need is 4 new linebackers.
    I like Mo too but Seymour made the Pro Bowl his second year and ALL Pro for 3 consecutive years after that.. Mo is on the right track and has a bright future.. BTW Seymour had 16.5 sacks his first 3 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I like Mo too but Seymour made the Pro Bowl his second year and ALL Pro for 3 consecutive years after that.. Mo is on the right track and has a bright future.. BTW Seymour had 16.5 sacks his first 3 years..
    the pro bowl stuff comes with the success the pats had. after 2 years if you compare both guys i think so far mo is playing better, he also has slightly better numbers. right now he's a force and i cant remember seymour being THAT good in his 2nd year

Wilkerson is not that good and Coples is average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yay. We have a stud 3-4 end in a passing league.

Honestly. Let's pipe down on Wilk a little bit. I know we have been starved for someone who can produce on the DL but we still need a real pass rusher.

But hey, it's Christmas so lets just be thankful we have him and Coples for the future.
    +1

Big Mo, and to a lesser extent Coples have been pretty much the only bright spots in a dismal season. Well, those two and the recent news that we may finally be flicking the piece of GM snot off our collective fingernails after 7 years.

Yay us!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    the pro bowl stuff comes with the success the pats had. after 2 years if you compare both guys i think so far mo is playing better, he also has slightly better numbers. right now he's a force and i cant remember seymour being THAT good in his 2nd year
    That's true Martin made 2 Pro Bowls avg 3.5 and 3.6 ypc.. But the 3 All Pro's is for real..

The SOJF is strong in this one

Wilkerson has a very high pass rush efficiency rating. Coples is very high too.

They reek havoc on the pocket.

The fact that the Jets have drafted fairly successfully on the defensive side of the ball while managing to never draft a top tier skill position player really lends credence to the idea that Tannenbaum is leaning too much on defensive minded coaches (Mangini, Rex) to look for the guys they want.

Cotchery, Kerley, and Shonn Greene are the only skill position players the Jets have drafted in the Tannenbaum era that have been so much as a starter. Kerley and Cotchery are both good slot guys, and Shonn Greene is a below average starter who only reached 1,000 yards because the Jets didn't have a backup of value last year.

That is a truly dismal record.

Taht being said. Coples has been very good down the stretch (though he has a bad habit of getting high, jumping often, when getting to the QB) with sacks in his last 3 games. Profootballfocus (just another a stat service, not the end all) rates him among the best at getting to the QB in his limited time ( I don't find that to be true) but I would say his final contribution was a litle more than I was expecting for his rookie season.