Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Our Pass Defense This Year- What does it mean going forward?

  1. #1

    Our Pass Defense This Year- What does it mean going forward?

    By far the biggest positive surprise for the Jets this year is the play of our pass defense.

    Who would have thought after not having Revis, the undisputed best cornerback in the game, and arguably the best defensive player in the sport, for virtually the entire season, the Jets enter week 17 ranked #2 in the NFL in pass defense, needing only to jump 31 yards over Pitt in the last week to take the #1 spot?

    That's how great our pass defense was this year. The argument that our pass defense is so great because all the offenses are just running all over us simply doesn't fly. Consider the following:
    - The Jets pass D ranks 5th in yards per attempt (6.4), 6th in opposing QB Ratings (77.6), and 3rd in completion percentage (54.3.)

    Those are simply astounding stats considering no Revis for almost the entire season, and a below average pass rush ranking 22nd with 30 sacks.

    What do you think this means for the future?

    The items in play are giving Landry a multi-year contract extension (because he will certainly be offered that by other suitors), bringing back Bell for maybe one season, and then the loaded question of either trading Revis or Cromartie. I am not suggesting we trade either of them, but with all the holes this team has on offense it certainly has to be considered. Compared to the last few seasons, Revis's trade value is certainly at its lowest and Cromartie's trade value is certainly at its highest.

    Where do we go from here?

  2. #2
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    465
    Secondary has been a bright spot. I'd bring back Landry and Bell but also draft FS in 1st half of the draft. Revis is young and will still be a stud 3 years from now when we have turned the roster over and hopefully found a QB that isn't a miserable butt-fumbler.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mluongo View Post
    Secondary has been a bright spot. I'd bring back Landry and Bell but also draft FS in 1st half of the draft. Revis is young and will still be a stud 3 years from now when we have turned the roster over and hopefully found a QB that isn't a miserable butt-fumbler.
    Landry is goner...Bell could come back

  4. #4
    Sorry, I don't see it, I really don't. This is a 6-10 loser team that had NE beat and could not get a stop. They had TN beat and allowed Jake friggin Locker to go right down the field and score a winning TD directly after we scored to take the lead. This defense could nbever get off of the fireld on 3rd down. They also could not sack the QB without blitzing.


    34-0 to SF at Home
    30-9 to the stinkfish at home
    27-17 to SD at home
    49-19 to NE at home.

    What was so great about this defense? Sorry, I just don't get it..

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,799
    ^^ almost all those games were blowouts due to multiple offensive turnovers, and special teams gaffs.

  6. #6
    Cromartie could be a #1 corner if/when Revis leaves....

    And Kyle Wilson isn't even a nickel back

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,964
    It means we need to resign Landry to a long term deal and trade Revis to get some picks and add some talent to the front 7 and offense.

    *waits for backlash*

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    By far the biggest positive surprise for the Jets this year is the play of our pass defense.

    Who would have thought after not having Revis, the undisputed best cornerback in the game, and arguably the best defensive player in the sport, for virtually the entire season, the Jets enter week 17 ranked #2 in the NFL in pass defense, needing only to jump 31 yards over Pitt in the last week to take the #1 spot?

    That's how great our pass defense was this year. The argument that our pass defense is so great because all the offenses are just running all over us simply doesn't fly. Consider the following:
    - The Jets pass D ranks 5th in yards per attempt (6.4), 6th in opposing QB Ratings (77.6), and 3rd in completion percentage (54.3.)

    Those are simply astounding stats considering no Revis for almost the entire season, and a below average pass rush ranking 22nd with 30 sacks.

    What do you think this means for the future?

    The items in play are giving Landry a multi-year contract extension (because he will certainly be offered that by other suitors), bringing back Bell for maybe one season, and then the loaded question of either trading Revis or Cromartie. I am not suggesting we trade either of them, but with all the holes this team has on offense it certainly has to be considered. Compared to the last few seasons, Revis's trade value is certainly at its lowest and Cromartie's trade value is certainly at its highest.

    Where do we go from here?
    Please get real, while I will give you Bell and Landry...the secondary overall is just average. Did you watch Crow on that 37 yard td pass to Alexander...he looked like he was in position and then turned the wrong way...and Eric Smith behind Gates for the other TD pass...Klye Wilson...a POS he does not belong in the league...Lankster and Walls...terrible. Oh did I mention that there is no need to pass when your QB turns the ball over so much.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Please get real, while I will give you Bell and Landry...the secondary overall is just average. Did you watch Crow on that 37 yard td pass to Alexander...he looked like he was in position and then turned the wrong way...and Eric Smith behind Gates for the other TD pass...Klye Wilson...a POS he does not belong in the league...Lankster and Walls...terrible. Oh did I mention that there is no need to pass when your QB turns the ball over so much.
    The stats dont lie. They are a top 5 pass defense in almost every category. And that's without Revis virtually entire season.

    Wow, Cro gave up a TD. Who doesn't. Wilson is not great but he is good for what he is, a solid nickel corner. Revis is the best in the game and Landry is one of the best safeties out there. Cromartie for sure had a top 5 cb season this year.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    It means we need to resign Landry to a long term deal and trade Revis to get some picks and add some talent to the front 7 and offense.

    *waits for backlash*
    It's not that crazy to think about.... Cromartie is clearly more team oriented than Revis is. It's clear just through his quotes and everything.


    Landry is a huge decision. The guy brings an absolute ton when it comes to his hits... People are afraid of him and rightfully so. He also takes some bad angles and misses at times but that's part of the deal for any big hitter.

    Plus you have the injury stuff... And he's not going to be cheap... he's made that much clear.


    Dunno why some people keep saying "Get a FS" or things to that effect. The safeties in the Jets system are essentially identical. They've always said that... Just get another guy who can tackle and cover. Hopefully we get lucky and Antonio Allen is that guy. Rex seems to like him.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Sorry, I don't see it, I really don't. This is a 6-10 loser team that had NE beat and could not get a stop. They had TN beat and allowed Jake friggin Locker to go right down the field and score a winning TD directly after we scored to take the lead. This defense could nbever get off of the fireld on 3rd down. They also could not sack the QB without blitzing.


    34-0 to SF at Home
    30-9 to the stinkfish at home
    27-17 to SD at home
    49-19 to NE at home.

    What was so great about this defense? Sorry, I just don't get it..
    You lose credibility with posts such as this, shows lack of reading comprehension although I don't disagree with you. The OP mentioning the pass defense, I do agree that our lack of a pass rush and pressuring the QB has exposed us to some horrific losses and that our D isn't as good as people believe.
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 12-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Sorry, I don't see it, I really don't. This is a 6-10 loser team that had NE beat and could not get a stop. They had TN beat and allowed Jake friggin Locker to go right down the field and score a winning TD directly after we scored to take the lead. This defense could nbever get off of the fireld on 3rd down. They also could not sack the QB without blitzing.


    34-0 to SF at Home
    30-9 to the stinkfish at home
    27-17 to SD at home
    49-19 to NE at home.

    What was so great about this defense? Sorry, I just don't get it..
    San Francisco lost and was tied by the St Louis rams, and got pounded 42-13 to Seattle and lost 26-3 to the Giants. Is their defense not great either?

    Shockingly, the other team is trying to score points too, which means sometimes a team has your number and you lose.

    There is a lot to complain about with this team, but we lost the best CB in football and start 2-3 LBs who barely deserve to be on an NFL roster and still were good on defense.

  13. #13
    Few reason why- look at our record.. We have lost a bunch more games this year.. Teams with the lead dont want to throw it as much, dont want to stop the clock. If we were up on teams they would be forced to pass more. Also if we had 14,17 point leads (not many this year) in the 4th teams would pass and prevent D would let them eat up cheap passing yards..Like Sanchez was able to do in the 2nd Mia game when we were down 3 scores.


    Plus D did have a big problem stopping the run early in season.. Even when we beat Buf, Laundry took out taylor but RB off the bench comes in and almost runs 200 yards..

    Finally the biggest difference is this year in pass D which Im surprised no one else mentioned ; ERIC SMITH That guy was the worst cover DB I have ever seen. He killed this team last year, was always getting beat losing games single handedly.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Few reason why- look at our record.. We have lost a bunch more games this year.. Teams with the lead dont want to throw it as much, dont want to stop the clock. If we were up on teams they would be forced to pass more. Also if we had 14,17 point leads (not many this year) in the 4th teams would pass and prevent D would let them eat up cheap passing yards..Like Sanchez was able to do in the 2nd Mia game when we were down 3 scores.


    Plus D did have a big problem stopping the run early in season.. Even when we beat Buf, Laundry took out taylor but RB off the bench comes in and almost runs 200 yards..

    Finally the biggest difference is this year in pass D which Im surprised no one else mentioned ; ERIC SMITH That guy was the worst cover DB I have ever seen. He killed this team last year, was always getting beat losing games single handedly.
    You need to read the whole post I made to start the thread!!!!!

    We are ranked #2 in pass yards allowed, but we are also ranked 5th in YPA. The YPA stat doesnt get affected per say by teams passing more or less. Thats only the pass yards allowed per game which I agree can be misleading.

  15. #15
    uh...the pass defense starts with the dline. not taking anything for cromartie and landry but the play of wilkerson, coples, devito helped to make their job easier.

    the jet defense is good and needs only some tweaking to maintain form.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    uh...the pass defense starts with the dline. not taking anything for cromartie and landry but the play of wilkerson, coples, devito helped to make their job easier.

    the jet defense is good and needs only some tweaking to maintain form.
    good point.. And we all Knew once Eric Smith was removed from the starting lineup pass defense would improve a ton.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    The stats dont lie. They are a top 5 pass defense in almost every category. And that's without Revis virtually entire season.

    Wow, Cro gave up a TD. Who doesn't. Wilson is not great but he is good for what he is, a solid nickel corner. Revis is the best in the game and Landry is one of the best safeties out there. Cromartie for sure had a top 5 cb season this year.
    Don't forget teams tend to run more when they have the lead. If the Jets were more competitive teams would have thrown more. Having said that I would trade Revis for the right amount. Revis is a great player but he can only cover one guy in a league where three starting wrs and four and five receiver sets are the norm. Over the years other teams beat the jets simply by going to the #2 #3 and #4 receivers. Revis' contract makes depth hard to build and maintain. He is not a qb or a stud pass rusher. A qb can make everyone better on every play on offense. A stud rusher can make an entire decent secondary look good by forcing hurried/bad throws and rattling the qb ect. Revis takes out 1 wr but that is the extent of what he can do. You could say that frees up a safety I guess.

  18. #18
    In all the packages the Rex runs works even without putting pressure on a QB. They man up deep and the Ss rarely fall for tricks even the bad ones. Add some more pressure and you will see turnovers more often even vs QBs like Brady and Manning. Our issues this year was vs they run and most of that was when those speed guys go outside none of our LB can even come close to stopping them. It has been almost always the DL or Ss after LB is out of the picture.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,128
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Sorry, I don't see it, I really don't. This is a 6-10 loser team that had NE beat and could not get a stop. They had TN beat and allowed Jake friggin Locker to go right down the field and score a winning TD directly after we scored to take the lead. This defense could nbever get off of the fireld on 3rd down. They also could not sack the QB without blitzing.


    34-0 to SF at Home
    30-9 to the stinkfish at home
    27-17 to SD at home
    49-19 to NE at home.

    What was so great about this defense? Sorry, I just don't get it..
    The Defense was on the field too much this season. Granted there were problems but nothing compares to the anemic offense. It is cumulative and demoralizing in Dec.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us