Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who will be our Next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Great Parcells line!!! Man I miss those days when we we're a reputable organization. Bring back the Tuna!!!!
    You mean the same Parcells who who comes into situations with nothing to lose 1-15 Jets, floundering Cowboys & Dolphins , then buys , buys, buys to build a quick fix win now team and after a fairly good season or two the white knight leaves his predecessors with a bag full of aging veterans and the following cap hell - No Thanks!!!

I still can't believe the praise this overhyped ego-maniac gets from Jets fans. He was a great coach with the Giants pre salary cap when you could build a team with no cap ramifications. . Maybe his best attribute is the coaches he surrounded himself with ( Belicheck, Coughlin, Payton, Crenell, Weis) but even he "produced" some clunkers ( Handley , Palmer, Groh, Mangini, Sparano).

Will the New GM can Rex?

I'll take Holmgren over Polian. Holmgren actually did a pretty good job in Cleveland shouldn't have been fired. Also the guy I would want picking a QB. I find it hard to believe Pettine will not be back. But if not I think Jim Leavitt would make a good addition with Rex.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    GM Bill Polian

HC Rex Ryan

OC Norv Turner

DC Dennis Thurman
    Forget Polian! He is the guy that built the squad in Indy that we all mocked as a 1-man team. The team that won 2 games a year ago. He had a nice run for a while but Peyton Manning made everyone better.

His recent picks included; Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Jerry Hughes, Mike Pollack, Phillip Wheeler, Kevin Thomas. Polian couldn't even pick his nose in the past several NFL drafts.

Hell no!

Stop listening to the talking heads and do some research before you make a suggestion.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 12-25-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I want a GM who doesnt believe in the clown school that is currently the way things are run at Florham park. I want a GM that doesnt go on the field to catch punts like Tannanbaum. I want a GM that doesnt go do pushups on the field as part of some ridiculous bet with the players. If your the GM, you act like a professional. The players and head coach arent your buddies. They work for you. Currently we have a GM and coach who are just "one of the guys" and that is not conducive to a winning environment. Do you see this type of antics from winning organizations? Everyone in that building needs to become accountable for their work and its results.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great Parcells line!!! Man I miss those days when we we're a reputable organization. Bring back the Tuna!!!!
    He got it backwards..... here is the actual quote.

"They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries. Okay?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Forget Polian! He is the guy that built the squad in Indy that we all mocked as a 1-man team. The team that won 2 games a year ago. He had a nice run for a while but Peyton Manning made everyone better.

His recent picks included; Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Jerry Hughes, Mike Pollack, Phillip Wheeler, Kevin Thomas. Polian couldn't even pick his nose in the past several NFL drafts.

Hell no!

Stop listening to the talking heads and do some research before you make a suggestion.
    + infinity!!!! Someone who gets it. Exactly what I said the other day. Polian's best days past him by after Carolina. The success e enjoyed in Indy was due to Manning. Polian was fired due to the lack of talent around Manning. Look at organizations like Pitt, NYG, etc. Not retreads or organizations that rely on the success of one-player -- i.e., NE. Those personnel gurus have been exposed for what they are -- FRAUDS.

New York Jets General Manager Candidate: Tom Gamble
    By John B on Dec 22

Tom Gamble is a very experienced general manager candidate. He has experience doing pretty much everything. His bio on the 49ers website notes he has scouted college and professional football, negotiated contracts, and coached. He even has ties to the Kotite Era Jets. Despite that unfortunate resume blemish, Gamble is a desired general manager candidate.

Since 2011, he has been Director of Player Personnel. He has been given some responsibility over the Draft, but Gamble's primary responsibility has been making sure the 49ers acquire the best available players from other teams.

Gamble has a solid track record. The Niners have become one of the best teams in the NFL under his watch at least in part because of solid free agent additions such as Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Jonathan Goodwin. I happen to think the success is due much more to the incredible coaching of Jim Harbaugh and Harbaugh's staff., but Gamble has been part of a well-run organization.

Gamble has a lot of experience in the NFL, which means he has a long list of quality people he knows and could bring in. He also has been involved in more aspects of running a team than many first time general managers do. I'm not really sure he'd be a homerun hire, but he is qualified to be a general manager. I wouldn't be thrilled if he was hired, but I wouldn't be upset either.

Would you approve of Gamble becoming GM?
    Good post. I think Gamble would be a solid choice given his résumé.

Hire Clinkscales back from the Raiders to be GM, Him leaving to go to the Raiders showed what he thought of the direction of the team with Tanny and Rex...I would trust his decisions going forward

On more point, if you recall, the mediots a few years ago proclaimed how KC was an up and coming power in the AFC. The culture has changed and Pioli has brought the NE way of doing things to KC. Yeah, Pioli about to be fired and KC probably on its 3rd HC in 4 years.

The NE way of doing things can be best summed up by one name, Tammy. When he is done, the stinking pats I knew growing up will reemerge.

Practice Squad
    What about the GM from Cleveland? Heard they aren't keeping him, he's done a great job with the drafts, I would take him

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    On more point, if you recall, the mediots a few years ago proclaimed how KC was an up and coming power in the AFC. The culture has changed and Pioli has brought the NE way of doing things to KC. Yeah, Pioli about to be fired and KC probably on its 3rd HC in 4 years.

The NE way of doing things can be best summed up by one name, Tammy. When he is done, the stinking pats I knew growing up will reemerge.
    Dmitroff has done a fantastic job building a SB contender in Atlanta...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post

Hell no!

I don't want him either but he also built the Bills who went to 4 straight Bowls and lost and the Panthers that went to the NFC Championship game in only its second year of existence..

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post

Even as a GM you can only do what your boss(owner) agrees with.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I don't want him either but he also built the Bills who went to 4 straight Bowls and lost and the Panthers that went to the NFC Championship game in only its second year of existence..
    Point taken. The man is 70 years old now. Listening to him on ESPN, he is still clearly of sound mind. However, he is past the age of a man that can put in the hours that a GM must these days. Has he lost it? Maybe not. He is a good ESPN analyst, and that is where he should stay IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I like Eric DeCosta, Marc Ross, or Reggie McKenzie from Green Bay:

Russ Ball, Packers VP of football administration/player finance: Known as a good people person with an ability to manage, Ball has overseen the Packers cap since 2008 and has 23 years of NFL experience with five teams. He actually got his start as a strength coach. That diversity of experience -- and his association with a championship program -- makes him an intriguing candidate.

Nick Caserio, Patriots director of player personnel: The 36-year-old has quickly become one of the most respected personnel guys on the circuit, with steely focus and drive, and worked extensively on the coaching side as well during the Patriots' championship years. As one GM said, "He gets it." That likely would be apparent in an interview setting, but it won't be easy to pry him from Bill Belichick's side.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens director of player personnel: DeCosta has been a top-of-the-list GM candidate for a half-decade now, but it'll take an enormous opportunity for the 40-year-old to uproot. His wife is from Baltimore, and he's seen colleagues go elsewhere and find browner pastures. Plus, if such an opportunity doesn't come, he's content to wait and succeed Ozzie Newsome as Baltimore GM.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins director of player personnel: Miami's instability notwithstanding, Gaine was part of constructing the Cowboys' talent-rich roster in the middle of the decade, sat next to Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland in the draft room in Miami, and has worked both small-picture (advance scouting) and big-picture (team building) parts of an operation. Gaine is well-regarded in the scouting community.

Tom Gamble, 49ers director of player personnel: This season in San Francisco has caused a lot of folks to re-evaluate how the 49ers were built. Scot McCloughan, having already been a GM, doesn't qualify for this list, but he might get another look as a GM (maybe in Oakland), and Gamble's is another name sure to come up, with his experience in pro and college scouting, contract negotiations and coaching.

Dennis Hickey, Buccaneers director of player personnel: Promoted this year after serving for six years as the team's college scouting director, Hickey played a big part in turning Tampa Bay's roster over, from an aging group under Jon Gruden to its current state as the league's youngest team. Even though the Bucs are struggling now, there's still a strong base to build around.

Will Lewis, Seahawks director of pro personnel: Lewis is another ex-Packer personnel man. He went with Ted Thompson to Seattle in 2000 and carries a pretty complete résumé. He's regarded as a solid evaluator and hard worker with leadership potential. He also brings experience as an NFL player and a coach. The Seahawks' continued improvement will only help his cause.

Reggie McKenzie is no stranger to the draft war room and is one of the hottest prospective GMs in the NFL. (Evan Siegle/Associated Press)
    Reggie McKenzie, Packers director of football operations: He might be the most attractive candidate on the market, with the Packers' success and his 25 years of NFL experience. A former player, McKenzie started his run in personnel with the Packers back in 1994 and worked his way up. His ties to former Green Bay GM Ron Wolf have many believing he'll wind up getting the job in Oakland.

Pat Moriarty, Ravens VP of football administration: Another "cap guy", but one with a very interesting background. Moriarty briefly played in the NFL and was in commercial banking for more than a decade after that. He joined the Belichick Browns in 1994 and has managed the financial structure of one of the NFL's most stable rosters over the past decade, while working closely with Newsome.

Marc Ross, Giants director of college scouting: The 38-year-old has put together an impressive run of draft classes since joining the Giants in 2007, and was in the mix for the Seattle GM position when Pete Carroll was hired as coach in 2010. Ross was once the league's youngest college director, at 27 years old in Philly, and has a Princeton degree, which is sure to please the business side of an organization.

Les Snead, Falcons director of player personnel: Snead has been with the Falcons for 14 years (and in the NFL for 17), so he's seen plenty -- from the team's Cinderella Super Bowl run in 1998 to the highs and lows with Michael Vick. And his most recent experience at GM Thomas Dimitroff's side only bolsters his reputation as a well-rounded candidate capable of leading at the highest level.

Ruston Webster, Titans VP of player personnel: Quietly, Tennessee has built a solid roster, seems to have found the right mix at quarterback and has ridded itself of troubled players without a big talent dropoff. Seattle's interim GM before John Schneider was hired, Webster was part of that the past two years, and part of Tampa Bay's late-1990s/early-2000s rebuilding, and has a wealth of pro and college scouting experience.

Doug Whaley, Bills assistant general manager: Whaley is considered the future in Buffalo, working now at the side of Buddy Nix. The roster has improved greatly of late, despite the team's recent swoon, due to Nix and Whaley's ability to turn over every rock to find talent. Just as important, Whaley was raised in the Steeler system, so he has strong knowledge of what a championship team looks like.

All Pro
    I like it! lets do it.

Quote Originally Posted by THE BURG22 View Post
    What about the GM from Cleveland? Heard they aren't keeping him, he's done a great job with the drafts, I would take him
    Tom Heckert

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns General Manager Tom Heckert, at times sounding almost resigned to being gone, indicated Friday that losing final say over the roster could be a deal-breaker for him and will be a key issue in postseason talks with owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner.

"I'm not going to lie," Heckert said in an informal chat with the media. "It's important. It's why I came here. I've said it before, everywhere I've been I've kind of been the personnel guy even though I didn't have final say. I'm not saying it's an end-all, but it's very important to me."

Heckert, who has two years left on his five-year deal, currently has final say written into his contract. But Banner, in an interview with The Plain Dealer last month, said he prefers the coach to have that authority, like Andy Reid does in Philadelphia. He also said he'd consider letting the GM have it if he were extremely talented.

Would Heckert remain if he were stripped of that power?

"I don't know, that's something I'd have to discuss with the powers that be," he said.

He stressed that being able to shape the roster is why he left his GM post in Philadelphia in 2010 -- where he worked under Banner -- to take this job.

"For me, it's the who picks the players and who makes the trades, all of that stuff," he said. "That's the stuff that I think is important."

Heckert said both he and Pat Shurmur have no idea if they'll be back, and that they haven't asked.

"That's the honest truth, and Pat's the same way," he said. "I think it's the right thing to do do. Just wait wait 'til the season's out. I can handle two weeks."

He said he anticipates hearing something not long after the season finale in Pittsburgh Dec. 30.

"We haven't been told exactly when, but I'd think right away," he said.
    Heckert, who said he and Banner get along fine, actually hesitated for a moment when asked if he'd like to return.

"Uh . . you know what? Yeah, I do," he said. "There's a lot of things I'm sure we're going to sit down and talk about after the season. But right now, of course, I really enjoy the city and I really enjoy this team and so that would be the ideal situation."

Heckert, whose young team has rallied to win five of its past eight heading into Sunday's home finale against the Redskins, would most likely be in high demand if he leaves. He's stocked the Browns with exciting young talent such as Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Joe Haden, T.J. Ward, Jabaal Sheard and Phil Taylor.

"If things don't work out, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to get a shot somewhere else," he said. "I hope that's the case. If I was like, 'Oh no, what am I going to do?' then maybe (it would be harder), but I'm not that."

He acknowledged that it would be disappointing not to finish what he started, especially considering the Browns appear on the verge of becoming contenders in the AFC North next season.

"But I do get it," he said. "It's just one of those things. I think there's a variety of reasons why that could happen, but I'm OK with that. I don't know how else to react. If it doesn't work out, I can't just sit around and pout about it, I've got to go try to do it somewhere else."

He chuckled when asked about the unofficial "save Heckert campaign" started by fans and some media members. Conversely, there's been a backlash against reports that Banner will replace Heckert with former Browns personnel executive Mike Lombardi.

"I get teased about it a lot upstairs, but what can I say?" Heckert said.

"Just being out and about, a lot of people come up and it's great. I appreciate it. I guess it's kind of funny. I don't know if it's the lesser of two evils?

That's what it seems like if we're comparing me to people. I don't know Mike (Lombardi) at all. It's just crazy. The positive part with me is fine. I don't know why the other stuff (the anti-Lombardi sentiment) is going on."

He said he doesn't think too much about all the Lombardi reports from national media members such as Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports and Pro Football Weekly's Hub Arkush.

"It is what it is," said Heckert. "That happens all the time."

He said he hasn't asked Haslam or Banner if the reports are true "because I'm going to find out here in two weeks anyway." He also said he and his agent Bob LaMonte haven't put out feelers to other teams yet. "No, all of that stuff will take place after the season," he said.

Asked if the Browns should retain both him and Shurmur to keep the train rolling, he laughed and said "Yes! . . Anytime you make changes it's going to affect some things. I'm not saying you have to start all over, but it's not going to be just smooth, it's just not. I guess that's the only way I can answer it. Apparently if they do it, they think it's OK."

He declined to say if he'd stay if Shurmur were fired.

"I don't even want to go down that road," he said. "We'll see what happens."

He acknowledged that this has been a dream job for him because his dad, Tom, was a scout for the Browns in the 1980s and Heckert became hooked.

"There's no question about it," he said. "I was around when the fans were crazy and that'd be awesome to be back. Our fans are great now, but it was different because we were winning. The fans have been phenomenal. Just from our games, I can tell they kinda see where it's going. They should be happy. Eventually they're going to see this team's going to be pretty good."

Heckert says Weeden "has everything you want" and that Richardson is everything they hoped he'd be. He said the team is poised to take off and that the staff isn't surprised by the current run. "We thought we'd make the playoffs (this year)," he said.

Heckert said if he leaves, he hopes Banner retains a lot of the people Heckert hired.

"They'd be crazy not to keep them," Heckert said. "This scouting staff is phenomenal. We have some great, great people working in this building.

Obviously without those guys, it doesn't mean anything. That's the hardest part. If things don't work out, it changes people's lives."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...hecker_20.html

The Jets are already searching for general manager Mike Tannenbaum’s replacement, according to a report, but he still may stick around.

CBS reported yesterday the Jets have begun reaching out to potential GM candidates, one of which is reported to be Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, while also exploring ways to keep Tannenbaum in the organization in a different role.

The report said Jets owner Woody Johnson would like to keep Tannenbaum around as a salary-cap expert and contract negotiator.

Posted Jul 18, 2011
    The Houston Texans have promoted Mike Maccagnan to director of college scouting and named Dale Strahm a national college scout, the Texans announced today.

Maccagnan has been with the franchise for 12 years and served as the assistant director of college scouting since June of 2010. In his new role, he will coordinate all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts. In addition, he is involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

One of the Texans’ first hires, Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout in January 2000 before being promoted to coordinator of college scouting in April 2000.

Before arriving in Houston, Maccagnan spent the previous six years as a scout for the Washington Redskins. Prior to his tenure with the Redskins, Maccagnan was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders and Saskatchewan Roughriders (1994). He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office as a league scout.

Strahm has a combined 43 years of experience in coaching and scouting. A veteran of 29 collegiate football seasons in the coaching ranks, Strahm moved into NFL scouting with the Denver Broncos in 1998 after completing his coaching career. He joined the Texans staff in June of 2006.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-6a86eafe66d4

Who will be our Next GM?

We'll probably promote someone from within or hire some castoff the likes of Jeff Ireland (if Miami fires him) because no reputable football guy will accept not having final say and being forced to accept Tanny, Bradway (and maybe Rex). No successful (or sane) organization works that way. So I wouldn't get my hopes up on the GM.