Thread: Report: Jets searching for Tannenbaum replacement

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: Jets searching for Tannenbaum replacement

By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 4:00 AM, December 25, 2012
    Posted: 11:54 PM, December 24, 2012
    Jets Blog

The Jets are already searching for general manager Mike Tannenbaum’s replacement, according to a report, but he still may stick around.

CBS reported yesterday the Jets have begun reaching out to potential GM candidates, one of which is reported to be Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, while also exploring ways to keep Tannenbaum in the organization in a different role.

The report said Jets owner Woody Johnson would like to keep Tannenbaum around as a salary-cap expert and contract negotiator.

According to league sources, such a move is highly unlikely. Many general managers have a clause in their contract preventing such a demotion. Also, people around the NFL are skeptical if anyone would take the GM job if Tannenbaum is still there. It will be hard to evaluate personnel and contract decisions with the guy who signed the contracts down the hall.

Johnson declined comment last week after the Titans game, saying he would speak to reporters after the season is over.

* A day after the Jets tied a franchise record by allowing 11 sacks, coach Rex Ryan was still trying to figure out what went wrong.

“That’s as poor as I can ever remember as far as the pass protection was concerned,” he said.

The Jets finished one sack shy of the NFL record and matched the team record, which was set Oct. 4, 1987 by a group of replacement players during the NFL strike.

“You get sacked 11 times there are a multiple of things,” Ryan said. “Yes, the offensive line, you can say that wasn’t up to our standards without question. The blitz protection, which we’ve done an outstanding job of with our backs, wasn’t as strong as what we’ve done in the past. Even the drops by Greg [McElroy] could have been a little cleaner.”

* Former Jets defensive lineman Trevor Bryce wrote a blog entry for the New York Times that said Ryan’s biggest shortcomings as a coach are that he is too loyal and too nice. Ryan responded yesterday.

“I think the world of Trevor,” Ryan said. “Am I loyal? Yeah, I think without question I am a loyal person. I think that’s a positive trait. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be a nice person, as well. I think I’m plenty tough when it comes to making tough decisions.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...aGgpXwMijsID7J

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another media report that just makes things tougher on the Jets. The media has helped this team so much this year err not! Maybe they are right but reporting every thought of every coach and exec honestly has made every move and decision that much more difficult. What GM is gonna now want to come to the Jets when every time they go to the bathroom there will be a reporter coming up with a new story. It was hard to get the coaches they wanted last offseason. They couldnt get the QB coach they wanted so the Jets got stuck with their old one - Cavanaugh. This year it will be doubly difficult to get good coach at any position and the media is helping us right out!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone is just assuming Tannenbaum will be ok with a demotion. I dont think he will. It is better to be fired then demoted if he wants another gm job. Accepting a demotion is almost like admittance that you couldnt do the job. Tannys ego is too big for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Everyone is just assuming Tannenbaum will be ok with a demotion. I dont think he will. It is better to be fired then demoted if he wants another gm job. Accepting a demotion is almost like admittance that you couldnt do the job. Tannys ego is too big for that.
    I think there is zero chance at another GM position for Mike T. One and done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Maccagnan

Posted Jul 18, 2011

The Houston Texans have promoted Mike Maccagnan to director of college scouting and named Dale Strahm a national college scout, the Texans announced today.

Maccagnan has been with the franchise for 12 years and served as the assistant director of college scouting since June of 2010. In his new role, he will coordinate all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts. In addition, he is involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

One of the Texans’ first hires, Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout in January 2000 before being promoted to coordinator of college scouting in April 2000.

Before arriving in Houston, Maccagnan spent the previous six years as a scout for the Washington Redskins. Prior to his tenure with the Redskins, Maccagnan was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders and Saskatchewan Roughriders (1994). He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office as a league scout.

Strahm has a combined 43 years of experience in coaching and scouting. A veteran of 29 collegiate football seasons in the coaching ranks, Strahm moved into NFL scouting with the Denver Broncos in 1998 after completing his coaching career. He joined the Texans staff in June of 2006.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-6a86eafe66d4

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, his ego may make it even harder to accept unemployment. No team, I repeat, no team, is going to hire to be its GM, so whatever demotion Woody may offer him will probably be as good as it gets for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Well, his ego may make it even harder to accept unemployment. No team, I repeat, no team, is going to hire to be its GM, so whatever demotion Woody may offer him will probably be as good as it gets for him.
    Didn't people say the same thing about Mangini...

You don't know how the other 31 teams, their owners and executives think about Tannebaum...I repeat, you don't!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...t_history#2010

The above is a worthy read...review.

based on the above.... His college evaluation of talent exceeds Tannys .

recruits at top schools, some of the things I have been bltching about.

I don't see many DIA schools and the Texans are as balanced a team as the NFL has.

he absolutely passes the muster test.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Another media report that just makes things tougher on the Jets. The media has helped this team so much this year err not! Maybe they are right but reporting every thought of every coach and exec honestly has made every move and decision that much more difficult. What GM is gonna now want to come to the Jets when every time they go to the bathroom there will be a reporter coming up with a new story. It was hard to get the coaches they wanted last offseason. They couldnt get the QB coach they wanted so the Jets got stuck with their old one - Cavanaugh. This year it will be doubly difficult to get good coach at any position and the media is helping us right out!
    Nonsense. The media is this way because Rex asked for it, and Woody obliged. The media was not like this ever under Mangini, Parcells, even Herm. when your coach guarantees superbowls, insists he will meet the president soon, declares they are the front page team in the area only to watch the Giants win 2 SB's, gets embarrassed for having men suck his wife's toes while slamming her, etc etc etc.... The media is going to pay closer attention because all people love to watch a trainwreck, and Rex most certainly is one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Woody really wants to get the Jets back on track and winning, he needs to fire Tannenbaum outright - that's what it will take to get a quality GM in here to replace him.

Thats just common sense.....so in essence, I agree with you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...t_history#2010

The above is a worthy read...review.

based on the above.... His college evaluation of talent exceeds Tannys .

recruits at top schools, some of the things I have been bltching about.

I don't see many DIA schools and the Texans are as balanced a team as the NFL has.

he absolutely passes the muster test.
    Before we jump on this bandwagon, please consider that for much of the past decade Houston was picking in the top 10. Furthermore, just 2 years ago the Texans defense was as bad as our offense. Coaching staff on thin ice. The difference between the Texans and Jets is one team doesn't play in a tabloid driven media market.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Before we jump on this bandwagon, please consider that for much of the past decade Houston was picking in the top 10. Furthermore, just 2 years ago the Texans defense was as bad as our offense. Coaching staff on thin ice. The difference between the Texans and Jets is one team doesn't play in a tabloid driven media market.
    The term...Passes Muster is basically code for, worth real review. nothing more, nothing less. I hear you. I did looknatvtheir picks last 3 years and they look balanced and solid. not perfect but probably above average.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    In case you forgot, the previous GM is still with the organization, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we're looking to go with a younger option than Polian, then I'd probably vote for Tom Clements.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I agree...

Although they've bolstered their line and LB's, picked up one superstar RB, one great backup RB and a few decent role players since '09...

They're not bad but JJ Watt is beastly and Foster was an amazingly lucky find...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fire everyone and Make Marty Schottenheimer the GM and head of football operations.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If we're looking to go with a younger option than Polian, then I'd probably vote for Tom Clements.
    For GM? Isn't he now OC in GB?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    “That’s as poor as I can ever remember as far as the pass protection was concerned,” he said.
    It wasn't the pass protection Coach.

It was a JAG QB with a weak arm who not only couldn't make the throws to open men, he didn't know who he should be throwing it to, didn't know how to trow it away, and was statue-like in the pocket most of the game, totally overwhelmed by the differences between College talent (which he supposedly had) and NFL talent (which he clearly does not have).

You know, alot like Mark Sanchez with a much weaker arm and less experience.

Dump the lot, #1, #2 and #3. The only thing this team truly needs to rebuild is the QB position, top to bottom.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    For GM? Isn't he now OC in GB?
    My bad

I meant Tom Gamble

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post